How Obedient Do You Like Your Dogs ?

Sit, stay, down, fetch/find, left, right, stop and come. Some of with hand signals, for all my dogs and some other commands for Schutzhund type work.

So I would say very good obedience for any working dog and dogs of size or capability. Less for fanny lickers :laugh:

Funnily enough, I don't look on it as obedience, more like the dog knowing it's job. Once the dog knows what you want of it, and how you want it to react in any given situation, then you have a partnership that works. As you cannot do without the dog and without you the dog is ineffectual. Symbiosis working together for a common aim.

TC

• Like 4

Let me come at this from a different angle

when the dog and it's owner have achieved a certain trust and understanding having worked together as a group , the dog tunes into its owner and basically second guesses your every move, the dog wants what it's owner wants and likewise doesn't want what it's owner doesn't want

So we arrive at a point where the dog wants to do the right thing to be in harmony with its owner , that's where I want the dog to be at , the rest of it you can keep

I want the dog to do it for me because he wants to not because he needs to

Not a bad take on things that. But...it still boils down to obedience i reckon. (the dog wanting to do the right thing)

You could be right bud , it's not a quick fix and it won't happen overnight, it's build on trust , a history of working together and a lot of dog management

My understanding of obedience in the canine world usually involves fear and conquences for actions, when your both on the same level less is more , I'm done with having to shout like a lunatic when out , softly softly catchy monkey

Any man that has to train a dog with fear and consequence isn't a dog trainer IMO ... You take the dogs instinct and the way it goes about things and mold that to what you want it to do ... Instead of forcing a dog you convince it to do what you want is the right way ... Casso I am with you no shouting when out and about ... Nice quiet commands or hand signals ... All chilled and calm makes for a nice day out ......

• Like 9

Let me come at this from a different angle

when the dog and it's owner have achieved a certain trust and understanding having worked together as a group , the dog tunes into its owner and basically second guesses your every move, the dog wants what it's owner wants and likewise doesn't want what it's owner doesn't want

So we arrive at a point where the dog wants to do the right thing to be in harmony with its owner , that's where I want the dog to be at , the rest of it you can keep

I want the dog to do it for me because he wants to not because he needs to

i agree with this especially the last comment. when a well trained dog gets to the level that it's doing what you want i think you have cracked it. at this point you have managed harness all the best qualities of the dog ,instinct, prey drive, breeding, fitness etc and take it that little step further. its the difference between a good dog and a great dog

i've always stood by that poor training can ruin a good dog but proper training can make a good dog great

Edited by robs5230
  • Like 2

I certainly see what people are saying here and agree but out of interest do you maintain the softly softly approach when your pup shows to much interest in stock in the hope he will just grow out of it ? There seems to be a very fine balance in that area and each dog is obviously different

You boys definitely need a quad .......

No they need plenty of exercise to burn the Pies off! One mile with twenty rabbits equals one pie, simple. Personally I'm at an age when I need the odd pie night to keep me in trim, tis cheaper than the gym.

• Like 2