Do You Run You Dogs On Ploughed Fields

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Run on heavy plough regular. I'd have thought the rabbits hares and deer will feed on the roots exposed by the turning over. You often see foxes sat out on plough too. If game can run on it...so can a

Some hares run crap on a plough and some seem to fly over it, just the same with dogs some run well on it some don't

There is some dogs that handle plough as easy as running on grass, the Hare is easier done on plough, ((( for some dogs )) seed is next, the short grass land, the Hare can run the dog can run, and

Posted Images

A lot of alledged coursintg lads will scout out plough to slip on :hmm: some of the slower stronger dogs like to get out on the claggy stuff then the stamina kicks in more than the speed especially for the dogs , if the long eared ones get on top they can still get their ears back and make a race of it.Not into lampintg so cant really comment wouldnt fancy runnintg on a heavy plough on the lamp especially with a sharpish dog but could be wrong

My experience is most dogs will catch on plough as long as it isnt too hard , thats why Hares get off as soon as they can. Lamping hares on plough doesn't sound much fun or much of a test for the dog.

surely coursing on wet heavy plough is near the ultimate test for a running dog for obvious reasons

Coursing on wet heavy plough wouldnt test coursing ability it may test the stamina of the dog to a certain extent, but a good drilled field or short seed will better test a dogs capabilities in both speed skill and if it is a 4/5 minute plus course then the dogs stamina and wind will also come into play. Every one to their own but as said most dogs will take a long ear on plough

No one has mentioned the type of soil involved. It all depends on what plough you are talking about. Fen silt is runnable whether or not it is wet or dry, but wet it is truly a bottomless swamp, and will exhaust a dog quickly, whereas the hare just runs over the top as it weighs so much less.

Clay is the killer: rock hard when dry with razor sharp edges, and claggy to turn the dog's feet into huge 'snowshoes' of clay when wet, so the dog is carrying dead weight on the end of each leg.

You can't ever say that you do or don't run on plough until you have seen what sort of plough it is. And how long the land has been ploughed also makes a difference. What would break a dog's leg when first ploughed, when left to weather, can smooth out a bit and be perfectly runnable.

Some dogs, often the finer built and faster dogs, find plough more difficult than grass or drilling: I had two bitches who struggled to pick up on plough, but once the hare went on to the smoother ground they had the hare beat. All depends on the way the dog runs.

• Like 2

Though I'd agree with Stabba, if it's on there run it. I've seen a few heavy dogs put their backs out on plough, though in most cases they've either charged on to it full pace off flatter fields, or never walked, never mind ran it, before!

Plough's the same as any other land, first off your dog needs to know that type of ground and secondly, one dog may do well where another dog does badly.

A good dog will catch any where all that is different is the style in which it is done. Many contributary factors play parts in a good course or whether the quarry is taken or runs on for another day, Over a running career a worked dog will run on most types of land and different crops that is all part of what produces a capable dog or not, A skilled dog will adapt its running style and make what ever adjustments it needs to to try for its ultimate goal, which is to apprehend its quarry. Ground and weather conditions play their part just as putting a fit healthy injury free dog does ,its when all these elements combine and knit together that make the coursing game one of the most enjoyable country sports there is.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Chopped up sugar beet missed from the previous years harvest, worth remembering those beet fields if the weather gets hard for any length of time.

Beet not lifted can be hard on a dogs feet imo.It often holds hares but sometimes its better to walk it and move them off to run them later in the day.

I mean bits and pieces left in fields that have been harvested the previous year inan, my mate stores piles of fodder beet on his farm yard, they knock 7 bell's out of it in hard weather too.

Yes I knew what you were referring to, I just wanted to mention un-lifted beet as a foot hazard for those that haven't run it before.As you say beet left in piles will attract them. :victory:

Run on heavy plough regular. I'd have thought the rabbits hares and deer will feed on the roots exposed by the turning over. You often see foxes sat out on plough too. If game can run on it...so can a dog imo.

ive run my dogs on it and still do ive run them in snow ice and potato ruts stubble never hurt them pulled a good few rabbits of them

I'd say you've been very lucky, running dogs on icy ground, but each to their own, and may your luck continue.

Edited by inan

if you run the fens regular you will be running on plough simple as .

And probably running from a blue light at some point. :icon_redface:

`feck me if I run now the only blue light I would see is the ambulance on the way to A&E :cray:

Some hares run crap on a plough and some seem to fly over it, just the same with dogs some run well on it some don't

have you ever seen big john walk a plough?
I've never seen him walk never mind on a plough, he always gets me or someone else in the car to slip his dog lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hes some boy,he should be re-christened swarovski

I used to frequent the A1 area to get a regular gallop or two,one thing about running the dogs around that area,especially on plough,was the dogs were tested more than any other land ive visited.Walking the plough added an extra pair of loam boots to you and 4 to the mutt.

I used to frequent the A1 area to get a regular gallop or two,one thing about running the dogs around that area,especially on plough,was the dogs were tested more than any other land ive visited.Walking the plough added an extra pair of loam boots to you and 4 to the mutt.

I used to run Hares around the Wentbridge area and Stappleton park just off the A1, some good Hares on there in Jan/Feb time