Pup Is At The Vets...

It's bad enough having the worry for the injured or sick dog. .but when I read what some vets ( not all) are charging for ops always seems to be a couple grand? It beggars belief.. I've had a quote in past for xrays. . £250-350 for 10 mins ? Crazy prices. Pet insurance is pushing the prices up imo. .but if you haven't got insurance. .or haven't got a tidy sum in the bank..It could be the end for your dog?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a private hip replacement , which is major surgery too a human is 8 grand , that brings these robbers into prospective

That's the bonus of spending a lot of time with your animals you can see when something is not right and jump on it straight away ... Those vital hours can save a dogs life as has been shown here ...

Nail on the head. ...! Learn your stock

Yep there's no doubt they push the prices up for insurance. Both vets kept asking what my insurance limit was.

If I didn't need to have the insurance then I wouldn't because as others have said it just gives the vets the opportunity to take the piss and in turn punishes people who don't have insurance.

But it's a dog eat dog world and I haven't got £5k in the bank for if one of the dogs get hurt. So it's insurance for me. I might even upgrade to the better cover.

No doubt about it I would be digging a hole in the back garden today if I didn't have insurance.

There is decent vets out there that dont rip the piss in saying that havnt been to the vet once for a injury or accidents since i had my we dogs 5 years and before that the only time was for cancer a op to remove was £125 that was 8 years ago

There is decent vets out there that dont rip the piss in saying that havnt been to the vet once for a injury or accidents since i had my we dogs 5 years and before that the only time was for cancer a op to remove was £125 that was 8 years ago

I hope you are touching wood nearby. Lol.

Sounds like you've been lucky.

We had an EBT when I was growing up and he cost my parents £11k in vets bills in 6 years. Their eldest Doberman also cost £4k in his short 4 years with them. If I pay my insurance for the next 5 years and never make another claim I will be a happy man.

I hope you are touching wood nearby. Lol.Sounds like you've been lucky.We had an EBT when I was growing up and he cost my parents £11k in vets bills in 6 years. Their eldest Doberman also cost £4k in his short 4 years with them. If I pay my insurance for the next 5 years and never make another claim I will be a happy man.
meant to put touch wood in brackets lol
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like you will end up paying what you would have done for original operation without insurance?

Personally have house,life,health,liability,car insurance,Just cannot bring my self to get insurance for dog especially when you know its just a meal ticket,for greedy vets and insurance companies.

Ive had plenty of bad luck, Non could have really been helped by insurance,Vets always gave me straight answers "it wont run again" "You might have a dog that will do a bit go lame and need rest" Would i have got same answers if they knew they could make a few grand :hmm:

Hope your dog pulls through..

• Like 1

a private hip replacement , which is major surgery too a human is 8 grand , that brings these robbers into prospective

In ireland where there is a lot of health insurance,Hospitals are charging 1500 a night for a bed :laugh: .

Lads can actually go to europe have there op and combine it with a hoilday for less than having it done in hospital next door to them.

All the time premiums going up and up.

Glad she's on the mend Gaz :thumbs: A few years back my bitch went off her feet, after several tests and an Xray, (this was just after she'd had a snake bite that we thought she wasn't recovering from) the xray showed a metal bottle top in her gut.

Including tests, xrays and op etc all in it was about £750 - about 5 years ago. I thought that was bloody dear till I saw what the vet charged you. Not all thieves wear masks :blink:

Cheers, D.

The price for Ossie's insurance was £42 a month. He'd had a few stiches injurys and his age goes against him. We don't bother anymore. Tess is insured however.

If he gets a really bad injury, broken leg say, it's PTS i'm afraid. If it's not too bad, we'll get a loan and pay it back that way rather than pay insurance. It's not just the Vets that are ripping us off.

Nice to see the dog is home. :thumbs:

i've been out lamping with no insurance and less than a 10er in the bank before.might have to think about insurance in the future or might get a credit card and only use it only for the dogs injuries.

• Like 1

My old bitch would have cost me over six grand over her lifetime without insurance ........

Thereabouts with my old bitch too in fact I was £1800ish the first time without insurance and that was the deciding factor for me, with 3 dogs it's paid for itself over the years.. :yes:

Thanks for the kind words folks. Appreciate that.

Socks - glad your Jill got sorted.

Teddog - it may of been a different story if she wasn't insured and I had to find the full amount but a few hundred or even up to a thousand I think it's worth while. She's a promising young bitch, starting to learn the ropes and is starting to steady up, great around livestock, great with kids and other dogs and more importantly I have got a really good bond with her which money can't buy.

what cross is she.
Her sire was a deer/grey x collie/grey and her dam was a deer/grey x whippet.

The sire died before the pups were born and the dam was sold on before the pups were 8 months old.

From what I can gather she's the only pup that has made much or has much potential. I'm sure there were 6 pups. The runt went to a pet home and 4 that I know of have been sold on before they were 8 months old for one reason or another.

At least one of the family ended up with a good owner mate. I hope she's up and about quick for you.