Loading A Springer

I've recently taken up air rifle shooting for pest control. After a lot of practice on paper targets etc I've finally got my groupings down to suitable size for hunting. However, although I can get sufficiently close to quarry I find that the movement/noise/delay associated with loading my springer often means I miss the opportunity.

Ideally I'd like to load a pellet in advance so that I'm ready but I've read that you should never keep a springer cocked for too long as this will cause damage. How long is too long though? 5 minutes, 15 minutes, half an hour? The rifle manual offers no advice and I can't find any guidance elsewhere. Any help would be most appreciated.

• Like 2

I'm sure an air rifle aficianado will be along shortly to disagree with my opinion, but I don't think it matters if you're only talking about minutes or hours. It's overnight or days I'd be bothered about.

I've recently taken up air rifle shooting for pest control. After a lot of practice on paper targets etc I've finally got my groupings down to suitable size for hunting. However, although I can get sufficiently close to quarry I find that the movement/noise/delay associated with loading my springer often means I miss the opportunity.

Ideally I'd like to load a pellet in advance so that I'm ready but I've read that you should never keep a springer cocked for too long as this will cause damage. How long is too long though? 5 minutes, 15 minutes, half an hour? The rifle manual offers no advice and I can't find any guidance elsewhere. Any help would be most appreciated.

when i had springers soon as i was on my permission it was loaded and didnt get shot till end of day unless i shot at something then reloaded striaght away.
  • Like 1

I read in a well known air gun magazine just recently that they tested this 'loaded' time. One of the editors, either doe or Allen, left a spring rifle cocked for 1 month or more maybe, and the rifle still had the same output power wise as it did before the test was conducted.

With my 98, in the field, I sometimes insert a pellet while the breech is open, not cocked, and when approaching an area that might yield some thing I quickly cock the rifle. It saves me fumblin' around before hand.

• Like 1

always load my springers the min I'm on my permission and reload as soon as i know my target is dispatched safely .

where in aberdeenshire are you bud I'm in sunny stonehaven and am always looking for shooting mates

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the info - that's significantly longer than I was anticipating, which will make things a lot easier.

webster - I'm up near not so sunny New Deer, mostly shotgun territory for the local farmers, but I was looking for something with a bit more subtlety.

• Like 1

Most modern spring powered rifles are a lot more advanced in materials and function as to the old spring rifles.

I like to make sure after a shot, it's reloaded and ready again for the next quarry to pop up but I always make sure the barrel is emptied, dispersed safely, before packing up and heading home. NEVER leave it loaded for when you travel home or at home.

Whether you have a springer or a PCP, the safety latch it there but doesn't mean it won't malfunction at any time or moment. You need to think ahead and empty barrels and eject magazines before going home. It only takes the smallest jolt or knock to trigger a flying pellet into something or someone to ruin the sport for you.

Best being safe than sorry :thumbs:

If you need any help regard your springer, give me a shout. More than happy to give you some guidance or tips.

White

• Like 2

get it loaded at your permission as soon as its safe them empty it at the end when theres no chance of another shot your no going to kill anything with a empty gun mate

• Like 1

I remember asking this same question a while ago. The consensus was that you could go on an all nighter cocked and loaded, fire the pellet off before you get into the car, and no harm done.

The statement that stood out for me "If you couldn't leave it cocked, nobody would hunt with them [sprigers]." For me, that made enough sense.

• Like 1