Putting Up With A Average Lurcher...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Life is far too short, to base your happiness on the performance of a poxy dog...

I think that you are right there Trenchfoot..   Unfortunately, some folk don't quite get it,...they get a wee bit confused.com.

It depends on the owner. If they want an average dog, so be it. If they want a top class dog they will keep trying until they get it. BUT !! Many owners will NEVER have a good dog, because THEY are no

so you think having a good dog is a pipedream for most dog men??

I didnt equate a good dog with a pipe dream I explained the difference between a reality and dreams and a pipe dream. As for having good dogs is something every dog man should be able to achieve given time and experience but to have an exceptional dog and get it to where it deserves to be is beyond the capabilities and the patience of most alledged dogmen that is why dogs are punted around all through the season.

• Like 3

I think it all depends on your definition of average. One mans shit hot maybe another mans shit if you know what I mean?

As for tailoring your hunting, that's up to you but if it gives you more enjoyment from the dog why not?

An example;

I bought a terrier specifically for bushing rabbits to the lurchers. He does that ok (could call it average) but his hearts not in it, he likes and is very good at ratting and other things. Once I realised this I made the most of it, we still bush rabbits regularly but you can see him up his game when the right circumstances come along so I make it my business to put him in the situation that allowed him to excel. I enjoy it, he enjoys it, everyone's a winner! Nothing wrong with being flexible IMO.

• Like 2

I think as you say average is your view

....but a dog that does a workman like job,week in week out but maybe doesn't excel is average,if their heart ain't really in it they probably border on being poor.

But the good average poor is for the owner to decide,

What would you class as average a dog that catches 3 out of 5 during the day hunting up and killing or less ?

Depends on so much my friend,3 out of 5 what for a start,what ground ,what cover ,etc etc 3 out of 5 can be hard work or easy

• Like 1

trenchfoot- jumping the gun abit are you not??. the dog is still young hence why I had her!! only owned her for 3 months?? running golf courses with her carrying an injury?? before you try and make me out to be a idiot let me just explain. the dog in question was a very close friends who was getting rid because he didn't meet her standards she showed promise and I took a gamble and brought the dog. I have been out with her more times than I care to remember I have also took the bitch out on my own if he couldn't get out due to work. I have seen the bitch work most weeks since she started apart from the last few months before I brought her. in the night in question the bitch didn't do to get she accounted for 8 of 15 slips on a golf course. and she limped the following morning. so she wasn't carrying a injury at the time. and even before that night she has still failed to catch bunnies that without a doubt should of been in the bag. so before you start ripping into me give your head a shake...

Agreed roybo, their heart has to be in it but the need for flexibility comes when you realise they maybe average at one thing but excel at another. My system is to work with their strengths rather than force them to do a job they are not cut out for. Things might be different if they were no good at anything but that's never happened to me.

Another point is whether you should expect them to excel if you are not excelling with their care and conditioning. Everyone does the best they can with training, time, fitness, food etc but it is a lucky few who can dedicate all their time to a lurcher. Should we be expecting miracles unless we are putting in 100% ourselves?

Anyway, the only man who can make the call on any dog is its owner and no amount of internet debate can change that!

• Like 1

If honesty ever played a part in how the average hunters season panned out,the effort and time put into the dog and the weekly forays into the night or day,then an average dog would suit most of the kennels out there.Some kennels put more time and effort into their season and have mutts that are better suited to the task at hand,they may even,at times,get more out of a littermate of anothers average jukel.The biggest mistake many lurcherfolk make is thinking,especially reading many stories on the internet,that they have a dog that's average because others catch and do more,this is often an injustice to the dog they own,as one man/womans average is anothers treasured hunting companion.Many an average dog will outdo some of the supermutts about,depends who,s watching.

• Like 8

Morton I agree with that comment some people blow smoke up the dogs arse for whatever reason. I can honestly say I don't rose tint anything its in my kennel and its my choice what I do with my dogs. but I cannot get into my head why people lie about there dogs. if I was lieing about my dog I wouldn't be calling it average lol. but I have seen some so called "wonder dogs" fail to leave an impression after the stories I have heard.

Edited by GIBB0

...I have a pup and a 2 year old bitch. the bitch is what I would describe as average at best at the moment but she shows more promise than other dogs I have owned and if I am honest it makes my blood boil. she has what is needed to make a very good dog yet I find myself laughing out loud on the lamp at her piss poor performances. then she will do something that makes you stand there and think how the f**k did she catch that. but a few good catches don't make up for the easy ones that should end up in the bag. I have decided to give her a season of graft and see how things improve from there and this will decide what happens to the bitch. my question is how many people are happy to put up with an average lurcher until something better comes along....

Guessing if the dog's two then you've really only had the one full season with her. Doesn't sound from what you've said like she's done too much wrong. I'd be surprised if another season where you put the time in with her doesn't bring about a marked improvement and consistency in the dog.

As for me, I've picked the cross, how it's bred, trained it, exercised & conditioned it, introduced it to game...., if I've done my job right I should make at least an average dog out of pretty much most things. Think I'd just stick with it, but maybe my standards aren't as high as some others.

Don't think I've had a dog yet though that didn't have me looking to the heavens every now and then thinking "what the f*********ck!!!!". Certainly never had a 'world beater'!

• Like 3

trenchfoot- jumping the gun abit are you not??. the dog is still young hence why I had her!! only owned her for 3 months?? running golf courses with her carrying an injury?? before you try and make me out to be a idiot let me just explain. the dog in question was a very close friends who was getting rid because he didn't meet her standards she showed promise and I took a gamble and brought the dog. I have been out with her more times than I care to remember I have also took the bitch out on my own if he couldn't get out due to work. I have seen the bitch work most weeks since she started apart from the last few months before I brought her. in the night in question the bitch didn't do to get she accounted for 8 of 15 slips on a golf course. and she limped the following morning. so she wasn't carrying a injury at the time. and even before that night she has still failed to catch bunnies that without a doubt should of been in the bag. so before you start ripping into me give your head a shake...

Fair enough! consider my head shaken. But if you think that me ripping into you, your sorely mistaken, it's was more a wee prod ;)