Recycling And Frugal Living - Any Tips?

OK, so I'm a poor peasant and I don't have money to spend.

Added to that, I'm a grumpy old bugger and I don't really hold with all this recycling craze. It makes no sense to me to send lorries out to pick up things that then get destroyed and re manufactured.

So I try and live as cheaply as I can, and try not to waste anything.

For example, one of my (few) luxuries is a daily newspaper. I could pop it into a bag to be collected each week, but instead of that, I turn them into firelighters.

I homebrew. I buy half price beer kits and make my own beer that goes into recycled beer bottles. I also make cider, that goes into empty PET bottles.

I eat game at least once a week, all year round, and I'm gradually learning how to preserve gluts of food by pickling and bottling.

I make my own bread - it's really easy, and costs about half the price of a loaf. The bonus is that it also keeps much better than shop bought crap and tastes great.

So, the question is; what do you do? Come on guys, lets hear your tips!

veggie oil i did for long periods in peugeot 205 d great free running but cold start a little slow but would run on straight used vegtable oil.. just smell like a chippy.. my disco i killed on veggie so be carefull and my mate did too.. veggie oil problems come on after a while.

veggie oil destroys rubber.

i will continue to use veggie on the old lister and petter generators.. it works really well and i get few issues.

my advice is run old cars that are disposable be carefull on a decent landy unless you really enjoy experimenting.

if you get chance to try a generator give it a go. easy to make a veggie tank and start on derv and transfer switch to veggie..the generator here starts on straight veggie.. im always hungry round that thing.

a chap i know is running his shogun on veggie..he is happy as he bought it cheap anyway.

i think bosch pumps rather than lucas for veggie too.

I don`t buy meat for half the year, or more.

I live on Venison, pheasant, rabbit , hare and anything else I can kill.

I recycle everything I possibly can and I have woodburning heating and a big solar panel on the roof heating my water.

• Like 1

I am Mr 'That'll come in handy' ! Better to re-use, re-purpose and up-cycle (hate those words !), than to send it miles in a lorry ! Better still, try not to use it in the first place - my Mum leaves all the fruit and veg packaging at the checkout ! :laugh:

Just a few of my efforts.................

I home-brew beer from cheap kits, and make wine from wild fruits. Also make a bit of wine from cheap shop-bought ingredients (carrots, root ginger, parsnips etc) that are short-dated and being sold off for pennies.

We've got a 'stock box' in the freezer, where we keep old bones to boil up for gravy,stews and soups. If the stock isn't used straight away, that gets frozen, too.

I grow as much veg as possible, even in my small, paved garden - all my planters are made from recycled pallet wood, and I start seeds in old yoghurt pots, egg containers or cardboard tubes from toilet rolls.

I've got a pot full of re-useable screws that others might have thrown away, and a good few clean, straight bits of left-over wood (no log burner, sadly !)

I once built a 10ft square shed/cabin entirely from re-cycled timber and salvaged window panes

The list goes on ...............................but i don't switch the gas off to turn the bacon over (any more !) :laugh:

• Like 3

veggie oil i did for long periods in peugeot 205 d great free running but cold start a little slow but would run on straight used vegtable oil.. just smell like a chippy.. my disco i killed on veggie so be carefull and my mate did too.. veggie oil problems come on after a while.

i will continue to use veggie on the old lister and petter generators.. it works really well and i get few issues.

my advice is run old cars that are disposable be carefull on a decent landy unless you really enjoy experimenting.

if you get chance to try a generator give it a go. easy to make a veggie tank and start on derv and transfer switch to veggie..the generator here starts on straight veggie.. im always hungry round that thing.

a chap i know is running his shogun on veggie..he is happy as he bought it cheap anyway.

Cheers for that, I put it in the tank when the engine was up to temp and did a 100 mile round trip so no cold start (I filled it back up with diesel when I got back so no cold start with veg oil) its a 90 with 200 TDI with Bosch injected pump so should be fine. I'll looks into a twin tank set up soon and it should save a fortune!

I am Mr 'That'll come in handy' ! Better to re-use, re-purpose and up-cycle (hate those words !), than to send it miles in a lorry ! Better still, try not to use it in the first place - my Mum leaves all the fruit and veg packaging at the checkout ! :laugh:

I home-brew beer from cheap kits, and make wine from wild fruits. Also make a bit of wine from cheap shop-bought ingredients (carrots, root ginger, parsnips etc) that are short-dated and being sold off for pennies.

We've got a 'stock box' in the freezer, where we keep old bones to boil up for gravy,stews and soups. If the stock isn't used straight away, that gets frozen, too.

I grow as much veg as possible, even in my small, paved garden - all my planters are made from recycled pallet wood, and I start seeds in old yoghurt pots, egg containers or cardboard tubes from toilet rolls.

I've got a pot full of re-useable screws that others might have thrown away, and a good few clean, straight bits of left-over wood (no log burner, sadly !)

I once built a 10ft square shed/cabin entirely from re-cycled timber and salvaged window panes

The list goes on ...............................but i don't switch the gas off to turn the bacon over (any more !) :laugh:

Similar to me, except I'm forever foraging for firewood...

Would love to see some pictures of the shed :yes:

Similar to me, except I'm forever foraging for firewood...

Would love to see some pictures of the shed :yes:

that reminds me.... ive a couple trees to cut down... hoping once ive evicted the horses from my land to fatten a few lambs each year... just keep 1 for the freezer the rest will be sold

there are also a few sites online where folk giveaway unwanted stuff... i picked up a almost brand new cream carpet on www.jumbletown.ie once

• Like 1

The most extreme example of frugality I've heard of was when a bloke phoned in to Martin Lewis on the Jeremy Vine show to say he reduced the amount of loo roll he bought by only going while he was at work.

• Like 1

Another one I forgot:

I was spending between £2 and £4 each week on Tea Bags.

I bought a small teapot in a charity shop for 50p, and have gone over to loose tea. It's a nicer cup of tea, and a £1.50 bag of tea leaves lasts me about 4 weeks.

• Like 2

I don't do as much as I'd like, but I now grow all my own herbs now, which I use on a weekly basis in the kitchen.....

I'm also growing my own weed for the first time, outside........which is nice....

bosh pumps on nissan are the best.. bit of reading here for you

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-patrol-discussion-17/2-stroke-oil-your-diesel-fuel-37562/

i cant say the info is correct but its intresting all the same

• Like 1