Pups First Night On The Lamp...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaz,..you are a young man with your entire life ahead of you,.so, a wee bit of advice...   Pay no heed, to folk who tell you what you should be doing....it is your life , not theirs... I've survi

Took the pup out for a look on the lamp tonight with my mate Jim (TJones on here).   She is just coming 11 months old and hasn't seen the lamp before. She's had a handful of daytime rabbits, mostly

Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots...   Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurc

I've never seen the bitch walk never mind run so I can't really comment on if the bitch being ready but

and there is always a but :laugh:

I would never give a pup I've had 20 runs on a first night out. bringing a pup on is all about progression in my book and 20 runs is paramount to chucking a kid in the deep end to learn to swim.

A lot has been said on this thread already and I found myself sat on my hands earlier but each to there own.

Gaz I'm glad your happy with her mate and I guess that's what really matters .

Roll on the winter. Just spoke to Jim and he says he's gonna take me a really good place next time. Reckons it wasn't that good where we went last night

where did he say we was going next time :laugh:

Stoke on Trent :laugh:

I've never seen the bitch walk never mind run so I can't really comment on if the bitch being ready but

I would never give a pup I've had 20 runs on a first night out. bringing a pup on is all about progression in my book and 20 runs is paramount to chucking a kid in the deep end to learn to swim.

A lot has been said on this thread already and I found myself sat on my hands earlier but each to there own.

But it may have been 20x 10-15 yard runs? Is that worse than 2-3 150 yard gruellers? There's so many ifs, buts, maybes, what's, etc, at the end of the day gas has made the executive decision to give his pup that opportunity, some will agree some won't but it's his decision in the end. :thumbs:

• Like 2

There's giving a young dog 20 runs an giving a young dog 20 runs mate, I doubt gas or Jim for that matter would have took a youngster to close cropped grass with educated bunnys and expected the same results, I doubt they would have done it, but I know neither of them tbh. I have however entered youngsters in same way and done well with dogs doing well all there life's. Some places at some times of year are perfect for pups and to use that to a dogs advantage can only be a good thing.

I was once out lamping with a family member, we were out with sole intention of testing his dog with a big bag of bunnys and I was carrier. I had a young bitch at home who had never seen a lamp only been ferreting, anyways we meets a farmer and he asks us to phone his mate, it's well after midnight but he assures us it's okay to phone. A phone call and 25 mins later and we pull into a farm none of us ever seen. The bunnys were everywhere, clamped down an hopping daftly about. I knew straight away if I had pup it would be perfect start to lamp. I went home and got her, we went our seperate ways then and lamped on our own with my pup catching more than a bagful and being completely wed to bunnies on lamp.

Diffrent farm same night I'd a left bitch in kennel

• Like 3