Digging In Clay

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i find the best thing to do is stand there point to were you got the mark and say to the apprentice DIG THERE SON and offer words of encouragement when he starts moaning about sticky grey clay

wall paper scrapper for takeing it of shovel

is real thick clay i used a proper heavy fork.. and it comes out like cheese! the worst thing about clay for me is it sticking to your boots!

a word to the wise when using forks take real care around the dog.. had a very close call with a pick once :icon_eek: .

Remember lending a terrier to some lads on the South Downs ,they put a bar straight through the dogs back :censored:

Best thing is just get on with it and as said a good sized rock or stone at the side of the dif to knock the shovel on every so often usually does the trick,worst is when it gets on the handle of the shovel.

dirty diggin alrite...always handy to have oul labourers gloves in the glove compartment of vehicle if you know such spots are on the menu that day.

As been said something to bang the shovel or grafter on and if a rock or stones not handy then just use your other shovel... as the man is raeding it out the other man should instinctively know he needs to get the glue of his shovel and have the footplates handy for a bang!

the forks are handy alrite but most of these digs i would dig with a raeding out shovel...as the glar ( as we call it) just comes out like turf if its the same kinda clay im talking about! and thats where investing in the proper footwear for digging is money well spent, especially the boots now a days with the steel midsole!

and rob84 ...pity your not in NI, i have 2 forks here for sale at the minute.

• Like 1

a word to the wise when using forks take real care around the dog.. had a very close call with a pick once :icon_eek: .

Remember lending a terrier to some lads on the South Downs ,they put a bar straight through the dogs back :censored:
. That chalk and flint on the downs is a fooker to donny. We had to get a mini digger in lol

get up to borders,them river bed rocks aint to pleasant,,its bone hard bar work,and the fork helps loosen,then a good roundmouth to clear out with,,ive just paid £55 for a torch,its the bollox,i thought until I found them on ebay for £40,so bought digging partner one for birthday,,has a 18" flexi neck on it,great for between rocks and not getting bit..

i find the best thing to do is stand there point to were you got the mark and say to the apprentice DIG THERE SON and offer words of encouragement when he starts moaning about sticky grey clay

• Like 3

Been digging in alot of very thick heavy clay lately. Do any of you have good tips for digging in thick clay, both wet and dry? It's clumping on my shovel and very hard to get the shovel through.

Dip the spade in a bucket of water every spade full.

Edited by TUFFTY

Been digging in alot of very thick heavy clay lately. Do any of you have good tips for digging in thick clay, both wet and dry? It's clumping on my shovel and very hard to get the shovel through.

Dip the spade in a bucket of water every spade full.

Lol,look well going across the land with diging tools terriers and a bucket of water.

• Like 2