Some predators do eat greens in the wild but (as far as I'm aware) theirs no definitive answer why but when you speak of predators eating stomach intestines this is a good article based from a scientific study on wolves that's quite interesting and if you follow it up he's not making up what he's wrote

http://rawfed.com/myths/stomachcontents.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good post sandy,,, I always like your posts , always worth reading. I new I was right about them being carnivore,,,thanks for clearing that up...

I could be wrong here lol, but the gut is were wild dogs,wolves, canine 's go for 1st in a kill, look at all the attacks on the prey always that area 1st, then the neck.So they would feed there 1st

Fecks sake sandy,,,that writing is hard to read,,,     Look I get what your saying,,,I did from the very first post,,,,it's almost like a sliding scale,,,with herbivore at one end,,,us in the middl

Posted Images

A lot of folk on here say feeding complete, makes your dog crap a lot. Well, i think that depends on the brand you feed.

Have you ever fed your dog a whole raw rabbit and watch it crap for the next day or 2 ?? :icon_eek: ...and the smell...... :bad:

Through autumn/ winter months my dog eats a lot of rabbit and they shit far less than when I fed biscuit, this is just my dog though I can't speak for others

A lot of folk on here say feeding complete, makes your dog crap a lot. Well, i think that depends on the brand you feed.

Have you ever fed your dog a whole raw rabbit and watch it crap for the next day or 2 ?? :icon_eek: ...and the smell...... :bad:

Through autumn/ winter months my dog eats a lot of rabbit and they shit far less than when I fed biscuit, this is just my dog though I can't speak for others

From my experience, they seem to shit a lot more and farts are very smelly. Good job their outside....lol

Some predators do eat greens in the wild but (as far as I'm aware) theirs no definitive answer why but when you speak of predators eating stomach intestines this is a good article based from a scientific study on wolves that's quite interesting and if you follow it up he's not making up what he's wrote

http://rawfed.com/myths/stomachcontents.html

I could be wrong here lol, but the gut is were wild dogs,wolves, canine 's go for 1st in a kill, look at all the attacks on the prey always that area 1st, then the neck.So they would feed there 1st at the gut, not because of what been in it . All dogs like tripe that's the same thing stomach just been washed out. My dogs eat grass every day, and not to be sick either they just like the taste of it. They have 1lb raw mince chicken , rabbits when I get them, plus dry meal every day , my dogs are fit+healthy on this diet .!

• Like 2

Dogs, carnivorous by classification and dentition, and predominantly carnivorous, but also omnivorous by nature. They eat a fair bit of vegetation, all my dogs have always ate quite a lot of grasses and herbs.

Don't see the problem in feeding some cooked carbs in a mixed mainly raw diet either

Go for stomach first, easiest way into the carcass soft tissue then organs then meat and bone.

true , but not because what was in it earlier i.e. grass etc , as some seem to think.

Following on from the Mech quote, I've got the Barry Holsten Lopez book "Of Wolves and Men" and in it he states that "the only part consistently ignored is the stomach and its contents. Some vegetable matter is taken separately, particularly berries, but Canis lupus does not seem to digest them very well." I hope I'm not in breach of copyright by typing that. :angel:

I have to say that, thanks to re-reading that, its made me rethink the percentage of fruit and veg I give to my kelpies, especially as you can definitely see some of it in the "waste product." As above, mine browse berries too.

If it's easier people can say that their dogs are facultative carnivora, then you an feed them cereals but still say its a carnivore lol, after all where would you draw the line between an omnivore and a facultative carnivore.

Did I see someone linked the raw feeding myths page lol :laugh::lol: please!

If it's easier people can say that their dogs are facultative carnivora, then you an feed them cereals but still say its a carnivore lol, after all where would you draw the line between an omnivore and a facultative carnivore.

smart ass, you coukdt have just said dogs aint obligate carnivores and can live relatively well on any old shit! :laugh:

Good book called 'The Velvet Claw' out there for anyone interested in this kind of stuff.

Can I just say,,, like most of the lads on here,, I also feed some cereal,,, some vedge,,,some complex carbs,,like rice ect,,,they mostly get meat,,, never tried almonds like the pic rio put up,,, mind you almonds are a super food for humans,,,so proberbly very good for dogs to,,,I don't know,,,

But there still carnivores though,,,

Edited by TOMO

ive not got into this debait,,,,,i may have been lucky ern put owt away,,, ice cubes ,, lol,,bananas with skin on lol. MOST DOGS EAT OWT BUT WE WANT THE BEST OUT OF WHAT THEY EAT.....[.anchovies,, thats a very good 1,,,,wash the salt out of them 1st,,,, marmite etc.. etc.. .. ... all these put into the right order and 1 or 2 bits,, more, :D , and they will be a masive diffrents, on the nite,, or day depending when feeding,,,,,,,,Raceing pigeon men have worked out what suits the bird long befofe us, dog men,,,, hobbys againt ,s hobby,S THEY BEAT US HANDS DOWN a bird just dont eat corn,,,lol,, some of us dog men are behind time, s,,,,I THINK WE ARE ALL LEARNNIG EVERY DAY,,,

Edited by tjones3862

The whole points is the term carnivore is pretty meaningless in dietary term, pandas are carnivores. When people start with the dogs can't/shouldn't have cereals etc because they're carnivores they do so without understanding what the term means. Dogs eat a mixed diet in the majority of cases so Tomo like most feeds his dogs on an omnivores diet.

Edited by sandymere