i went a couple of times years ago, just to see for myself......

what a bizarre, hotch potch mixture of people! like some enormous mediaeval hieronymous bosch painting! fascinating but a bit sickening too

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great reply , the speed of it tells me you are alert and decisive , the brevity lets me know you like to give relevant and accurate information without any preamble or needless input , the jaun

I think he will get thumped this year as he's fighting Big Red Asphalt, he's a cyclepath

are there any gypsys that go to the fair,or just people that turn into gypsys for a fortnight in june.

Posted Images

I used to love the thought of Appleby Horse Fair, all those old world gypsy folk at their annual gathering, to trade, laugh, love and have the craic... Gypsy Cobs, Lurchers, Chooks, Bow Tops and Vardo's all laid out like a old romantic painting.... :rolleyes: Ahh...

The reality is a bunch of young louts running a-mock in a pleasant northern village. A traveler and wannabe's dick measuring contest.... No more, no less.... With a crowd of gorping onlookers all there to see and report on their antics and crow that I was there the year that....

No doubt there will be some total stupidity and cruelty involved that will hit the headlines, always is and no one will have the balls or the power to do anything...

The romantic Gypsy Fair..... Nah, not for me... :no:

was on the box, some of the young lads had near enough drowned couple of horses , for once it was good job the rspca was there, to many macho fookers there regards how they treated animals, that's the only thing came over to me watching it on the box :yes:

I used to love the thought of Appleby Horse Fair, all those old world gypsy folk at their annual gathering, to trade, laugh, love and have the craic... Gypsy Cobs, Lurchers, Chooks, Bow Tops and Vardo's all laid out like a old romantic painting.... :rolleyes: Ahh... The reality is a bunch of young louts running a-mock in a pleasant northern village. A traveler and wannabe's dick measuring contest.... No more, no less.... With a crowd of gorping onlookers all there to see and report on their antics and crow that I was there the year that.... No doubt there will be some total stupidity and cruelty involved that will hit the headlines, always is and no one will have the balls or the power to do anything... The romantic Gypsy Fair..... Nah, not for me... :no:

was on the box, some of the young lads had near enough drowned couple of horses , for once it was good job the rspca was there, to many macho fookers there regards how they treated animals, that's the only thing came over to me watching it on the box :yes:
they did drown one last year mate!!

post-92146-0-36529500-1400927808.jpeg

I used to love the thought of Appleby Horse Fair, all those old world gypsy folk at their annual gathering, to trade, laugh, love and have the craic... Gypsy Cobs, Lurchers, Chooks, Bow Tops and Vardo's all laid out like a old romantic painting.... :rolleyes: Ahh...

The reality is a bunch of young louts running a-mock in a pleasant northern village. A traveler and wannabe's dick measuring contest.... No more, no less.... With a crowd of gorping onlookers all there to see and report on their antics and crow that I was there the year that....

No doubt there will be some total stupidity and cruelty involved that will hit the headlines, always is and no one will have the balls or the power to do anything...

:yes:Fair play Bosun...

Everything changes,..nothing remains the same....and the Romany/Traveller scenario is no exception..

The lads that I grew up around,..old style,.dark faced Roms, Boswells, Lees..etc...are still around,...but life is not the same. Money was always important,..always will be,...cos ya got to live,...but nowadays, the hunt for the coin supersedes everything, and old style values of trust, honesty and mutual respect,...appear to have gone the way of the Dodo :laugh:

Used to go to a lot of Horse Fairs,.don't know why,...I ain't a lover of the Grai,..and I certainly ain't a Traveller,...but I was always attracted, to some of their ways. :thumbs:

Went local last Tuesday,...met up with a few running dog men that I had not seen,... for over 30 years..

Dordi dordi,..my good god,.......we did look fecking old :icon_eek:

DSC_9795.jpg

Personally I hate how the hedge mumpers have hi-jacked what people think Traveller boys are.......many thanks for that channel 4 !!!

You never get to see the old Romany dealing men, with morals, values and self respect.

You mention some names there Phil and those families are still around going about their business the same as they ever did.

Good post Bosun ;)

• Like 6

:yes:Fair play Bosun...

Everything changes,..nothing remains the same....and the Romany/Traveller scenario is no exception..

The lads that I grew up around,..old style,.dark faced Roms, Boswells, Lees..etc...are still around,...but life is not the same. Money was always important,..always will be,...cos ya got to live,...but nowadays, the hunt for the coin supersedes everything, and old style values of trust, honesty and mutual respect,...appear to have gone the way of the Dodo :laugh:

Used to go to a lot of Horse Fairs,.don't know why,...I ain't a lover of the Grai,..and I certainly ain't a Traveller,...but I was always attracted, to some of their ways. :thumbs:

Went local last Tuesday,...met up with a few running dog men that I had not seen,... for over 30 years..

Dordi dordi,..my good god,.......we did look fecking old :icon_eek:

DSC_9795.jpg

Personally I hate how the hedge mumpers have hi-jacked what people think Traveller boys are.......many thanks for that channel 4 !!!

You never get to see the old Romany dealing men, with morals, values and self respect.

You mention some names there Phil and those families are still around going about their business the same as they ever did.

Good post Bosun ;)

spot on

Wilf your dead right in your post.

I, like Phil, know some of the old families and I know that Appleby Horse Fair, when spoken about, is only fondly remembered, long in the past..

I used to love the thought of Appleby Horse Fair, all those old world gypsy folk at their annual gathering, to trade, laugh, love and have the craic... Gypsy Cobs, Lurchers, Chooks, Bow Tops and Vardo's all laid out like a old romantic painting.... :rolleyes: Ahh... The reality is a bunch of young louts running a-mock in a pleasant northern village. A traveler and wannabe's dick measuring contest.... No more, no less.... With a crowd of gorping onlookers all there to see and report on their antics and crow that I was there the year that.... No doubt there will be some total stupidity and cruelty involved that will hit the headlines, always is and no one will have the balls or the power to do anything... The romantic Gypsy Fair..... Nah, not for me... :no:

they did drown one last year mate!!

attachicon.gif2014-05-24-11-35-30--1656420185.jpeg

Year before I think.