Added Bull/staff Blood

Busy best describes! I too enjoyed the reading that's been posted, however I sure would like to have heard more about the small staffs and fighting terriers of "old". I know this is hunting site only, but the paths do cross in history and some of it ain't that far back.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a train of thought to peruse over. at the end of the 18th and into the 19th century, if we are to believe the history books, certain sporting types began crossing the heavy bodied bulldogs of t

what are the E.B.T.cross terrier's like when it comes to reproducing? I know when they were crossed into a.p.b.t. and staffords they produced some animals that were more than capable of the task for w

a edited version of the F.Buck interview published on the net in the USA Frank Buck’s first terrier came to him from his father, a gypsy who had kept his own type of terrier for many years – a line

Posted Images

Surely some on here remember back 30-40 years, did they just let them little dogs die off, or breed them into other breeds and lose them forever. Years and years ago, it wasn't too difficult to find game bred dogs around here, but you would be hard pressed to find one now. Most all are short hippo looking freaks, that you could pass a barrel through their front legs. The shame is their temperaments are lost too!

The likes of the Cheshire died out a long time ago if you read the breed books. I prefer to believe that like the dogs that became the 'Staffordshire', they were just a parochial strain of fighting dog that nearly every working class area possessed. Look at the Dudley; the Cheshire; the Blue Paul; The Red Smut. Did these dogs all die out because their function ceased to exist? Not likely, as their function has always lived and will always live on, however clandestine these days. Or did these types become blended and homogenised under the umbrella of the Staffordshire? There is and has always been a lot of variation of the Stafford and even in it's formation years there were lots of different types due to the favour and preference of fanciers in different areas.

post-32-0-37908800-1397125012.jpg

Can't tell you where it originated from General....but I believe it was taken to show the three predominant strains of what became the Stafford at the time of registration....The Cradley Bully, Darlaston Terrier and Walsall Whippet types.

Sorry, hit the wrong button. I was saying it's strange that the smaller sized dogs are so rare nowadays. It would seem with popularity of the rat pits, there would have been an abundance of small easy kept bull/terriers that would have hung around through time. Does anyone still use the manchesters for hunting rats?

The Cheshire terrier was a name used before the EBT name became popular.

Like so many other regional names it was lost at the inclusion of the dogs in the KC registration.

There are preserved specimens in the TRING museum in England.

post-42222-0-18667400-1397307616.jpg

The photograph is labelled Bull Terriers but they are not the type that Hinks made popular.

His were in the 40 to 50 lb range.

These stuffed dogs look more in the 20 to 25 lb range.(1900)

If these dogs were crossed into white terrier lines it would explain the attributes that appear even in todays dogs.

But the reality is men have been breeding in Bull blood for decades.

Mr Nuttall had red fell terrier when he was 40, Black rough haired terriers when he was 60 and small smooth black terriers when he was 80.

To look at these small Patterdales and not see staff influence is delusional in my opinion.

The credit he deserves is he was able to keep the size down.

To me that is his greatest secret.

If someone finds out how he did that, I would be interested to know.

• Like 2

The two dogs in the photograph above are Bull terriers and nothing else,,, Hinks' Bull terriers came in all sizes , read any old book on bull terriers and it will show his early dogs ware all smallish,,,, the stuffed dogs are modern Bull terriers ,,,with errect ears ,, after Cropping was banned..

• Like 2

a Joe Bowman terrier with a bit of bull in it , and the early fellxborders and bull with early nuttall line terriers, fellxbull they say was in the type from the beginning, the bullterrier used would not be the pile of shit you see walked around these days

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 6