Added Bull/staff Blood

As an admirer of the EBT (bull terrier) as I owned and worked one as a kid, it's contribution to working terriers has got to be limited to say the least....

And whilst I find stuff on James Hinks and his breeding programme fascinating, he bred for both the coin and the show bench, other than the 'history', he's a lost leader IMO, we need to be taking Stafford (type) blood here.

So that post by p3d, for me, hit home. Because in my city, in the early 80's, there was the start of the bull terrier boom, the first wave, so to speak.

In my early teens, it was The Jam, flight jackets, Air Wear, etc and the coming of fighting dogs.

Suddenly, at that time, they were there! I can still remember seeing two, must have been the late 70's, being waked by lads not much older than me, on some waste ground (the Oller!) on the bus with me mam and being glued to the window, telling her all about what they were.

Then at school we were all taking about them, some talking all 'big time' about them getting one (the same kids who had all the best trainies!). Then lads had 'em BUT and this is the point to my ramblings.... They were ALL a type you rarely see now, either small and racily proportioned or small with terrier bodies and massive heads. You could almost judge how cool a blokes dad was by how good his pup/dog was...!

I can remember the cooler dads kids having them tiny bodied massive headed types, three in my street and all of 'em tipped up when eating, you know, the back legs lifted off the ground...But their 'pedigrees' were bollox, almost all black. Not that we gave a crap about sommat like that! We then, like now, I suppose, just wanted our dogs to raise our status!!

Massive bull heads on tiny terrier type bodies... Bodies that now, looking back, would have easily got to ground if the head wished....

That was my world, a city full of Scallies and bull terriers, they went hand in hand and the point of this nostalgic post, is to highlight the fact that my recollection of bull bloods in the early 80's was that they were small... Fecking real small, that was the 'norm' then....

So if that was then....Not hard to find tiny stuff with enough heart to add to a line of working terrier...????

these small bull terriers, would they be around 15 inch, and 25, 26 lb size.

atb, j

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a train of thought to peruse over. at the end of the 18th and into the 19th century, if we are to believe the history books, certain sporting types began crossing the heavy bodied bulldogs of t

what are the E.B.T.cross terrier's like when it comes to reproducing? I know when they were crossed into a.p.b.t. and staffords they produced some animals that were more than capable of the task for w

a edited version of the F.Buck interview published on the net in the USA Frank Buck’s first terrier came to him from his father, a gypsy who had kept his own type of terrier for many years – a line

Posted Images

Oh yer, forgot to add... I never went for one of those 'Staff's'. By the time i'd bred enough rabbits and ferrets to buy one (50p a pop, so took me a while!) an you can only breed so many in a house with a back yard, i'd seen enough and so, charged with visions of Olly Ried's, Bill Sykes I went and got meself an EBT..!

Again though, a bloke local bred EBT's a showman, KC stuff... BUT every so often he'd breed a litter of small 'un's, with some almost deformed enough to have bent fronts, slim lines and massive heads, just like the local Staff's.

Before I go on here, let me add.... As a kid, these folk were there, larger than life, a mecca in an infantile boom!

So two of my mates got his dogs, runts, sold for £50, rather than drowned. My mate Tom had one, Bullseye, tiny, massive swede, loon to both man and beast BUT I loved it.. Bullseye killed everything, the dog was sick, a horrible fecker.

I ended up with a dog out of a bitch that was of similar blood but put to a dog with a lot of Ormandy in its pedigree, he was much bigger but I had terriers too and I worked mine on everything.... ;)

Jetro, 15" and smaller sometimes, mates had JRT's bigger BUT these feckers had massive heads and we never weighed 'em! ;)

its hard to get small ones today, they sound like very handy ones to have around,

always prefered the smaller type myslef.

atb, j

Jetro, 15" and smaller sometimes, mates had JRT's bigger BUT these feckers had massive heads and we never weighed 'em! ;)

its hard to get small ones today, they sound like very handy ones to have around,

atb, j

That should read... JRT's 'taller'.... :yes:

atb, j

That should read... JRT's 'taller'.... :yes:

:thumbs: atb j

He always described them as "IRISH Staffies" think they were ment to be J lines or somethig like that ?

Never been my thing ,but can appreciate the " Dogmanship " going into them , just seem to have the "Loony " brigade around them :laugh::yes:

Nice bit of history. I had a neighbor in the 90s with some small bitches, I currently had one pitbull, and could never get him to tell me where they were from. He said them are pure fighting stock, and said I didn't want anything like that! But he was wrong I did want some of them little tykes. All you see now is wannabes walking fat 100lb. blue dogs. There are some good ones to be had, but about as rare as hens teeth. I admire the tenancity of working terriers, and have owned several over that last 15-16 yrs. It is easy to see the bulldog influence in them, even if some deny it.

• Like 1

@ Stabs ,didn't have a Tattooed Face by any chance :hmm: ,mostly walked around with a big white EbT,but kept small game dogs ..

HA HA! Did keep some nice dogs that fella, and you could certainly pick him out in a crowd!...

Yokel.

• Like 1