Added Bull/staff Blood

I was offered two half bred bitches last year from a dog man who I have the height of respect for,a bit big but bred to the last,the bull would have been one of the last of Rickards we brought it out of his yard when he died.I did not want them for different reasons,but they would have been some brood stock to breed down from.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a train of thought to peruse over. at the end of the 18th and into the 19th century, if we are to believe the history books, certain sporting types began crossing the heavy bodied bulldogs of t

what are the E.B.T.cross terrier's like when it comes to reproducing? I know when they were crossed into a.p.b.t. and staffords they produced some animals that were more than capable of the task for w

a edited version of the F.Buck interview published on the net in the USA Frank Buck’s first terrier came to him from his father, a gypsy who had kept his own type of terrier for many years – a line

Posted Images

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... The whole subject is as varied as the dogs and lines involved. What really is the case is that for anyone across the pond, before the coming of the dogs from your side, we 'had' some serious types of our own. Mostly smaller types, discretion, from gentlemen was key here. We are a bit smaller in land mass than you...! And hey, where did that bull blood you got, first come from anyway...?

I'd say additional bull blood, as GTE says, has been there since the canals were cut BUT the terrier boom in the latter part of the last century seen it come to the fore. Did Cyril Breay and Frank Buck add it... Well, your educated guess is as good as anyone's... they are both dead.... The fact of the matter is that there are quite a few lines that 'show', or seem to show BT influence.

Does it matter... Well, the 'purists' say yes BUT whats 'pure' in most types/lines...? White bodied working terriers have shown just about every dog trait and form since their first existence and even when the Rev gave 'em his name, right up to recently the still remained a motley bunch... Oh, but now they bolt on 'Parson' and have refined the type... :laugh:

Some breeds/lines 'may' have needed it, some lines not, it certainly improves substance but has that come at a price... The ultimate price??

In many cases, i'd betcha yes but then shitty breeding practice has done more damage... (?)

I honestly think a reality check is needed here... FORM SHOULD ALWAYS FOLLOW FUNCTION... And if your mish-mash or purebred works underground, to the standard you require and, more importantly, if it gets you the desired results, season in season out, over its working life, then you own a working fecking terrier (accept no substitute!!)...

BUT just remember... Real working terriers are precarious creatures, in total, they are a rarity. So no matter what you 'feel' is right, you breed for the future, for the future of dogs that work underground and that, must be sustainable....

Its all in your hands. :yes:

Oh yer, just for the record... Unless its white bodied, I'm a purest... :angel:

The question I would pose to all , are there currently any Staffs left in the UK that compare to the Staffs of 40 or 50 years ago in terms of the heart and instinct?.....I think that it is safe to say that the American pit dog is far removed from the original terriers imported to the US some hundred years ago......It seems that in the US and UK today there are many pretenders in both bull types , the bulk of them worthless to a digging man in either country........Nothing worse than a bull type that is not up to the task.

• Like 2

Yes I agree was always staff x with terrier for digging and pbt crossed with greyhound for running. That's how I know it anyways im sure it can be reversed to.

I know of men that dug back in the 70s-80s and they reckoned that the EB was a betterx for producing diging dogs,i always had the staffx's and still have 1 to this day but seen some very usefull EBTx's aswell.

• Like 1

Yes I agree was always staff x with terrier for digging and pbt crossed with greyhound for running. That's how I know it anyways im sure it can be reversed to.

I know of men that dug back in the 70s-80s and they reckoned that the EB was a betterx for producing diging dogs,i always had the staffx's and still have 1 to this day but seen some very usefull EBTx's aswell.
it's funny how most hate and don't rate the ebts, but they seem to have produced, influenced good crosses and lines in the past.

I posted a few pictures in the old fashioned russels thread ( i lied, they all have EBT blood except the black which has staff blood)

post-2854-0-71351800-1396642300.jpg

• Like 3