Jai, great thread and thanks for the pointer on the Draper fence thing, works really well.

Jealous....Would really like geese at some point, can make a very very healthy profit on Turkeys at Christmas (eggs ordered for the incubator this week), imagine a good flock of geese are even better as near enough no feed costs if you've got the grass.......

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

Have enjoyed this thread but one thing a place like that needs is a Poteen Still and THEN it would be a little piece of heaven.

Haha Neil, it would be heaven until lads started drinking the poteen. Then all hell would break loose, haha.

• Like 2

Tell me how to make one and i'll do it, sounds like a grand idea. :thumbs:

Been tinkering around in the sun today, getting a few plants out, got some chills, some greens and some strawberries out, and got some other stuff in the greenhouse I need to stick out soon.

Also stuck some raspberry canes in.

Did a bit of tidying up, some clearing and sorted out an IBC until I can get the water reconnected.

Been enjoying watching the ducks, they are real characters.

Did a bit of a head count when I fed everything this evening, and realised we've got 10 pigs, 6 ducks, 8 chickens, 3 geese and 2 bantams down the field, as well as the assorted dogs, ferrets and chooks back at the house.

Nice having a bit of stock around, and we've got eggs coming out of our ears!

Few pics.

IMG_1560_zpscf9ba8ac.jpg

IMG_1553_zps8a2adadc.jpg

IMG_1572_zps57f4e4be.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsd05eddb5.jpg

IMG_1568_zpsf4360aa3.jpg

IMG_1574_zps1aa52491.jpg

IMG_1575_zps2941b97d.jpg

IMG_1576_zps0bff5934.jpg

IMG_1577_zps56c19672.jpg

IMG_1578_zps4b69c642.jpg

IMG_1587_zps264381c6.jpg

IMG_1570_zps4777da82.jpg

Goose House.

IMG_1583_zpse9d9f4b3.jpg

Just need to build a fence around this area for a bit of a run (and grass it!)

IMG_1582_zps3d9d83df.jpg

Seen another rat this morning so the traps are down!

IMG_1579_zps2c7533b4.jpg

• Like 3

Aye, I pulled that 'retro' ironing board out of the scrap pile mate, before I weighed a load of it in. They like it as a perch and it makes me smile.

And yep, got two pick up canopies as pig arks so far, a long with a metal one I blagged from the estate (ex wild boar ark) and two wooden ones i've made, so it's saved me a few quid.

Most things i've been using have been reclaimed, recycled or just blagged. . . . or donated by awesome folk.

• Like 1

Sounds pretty good to me mate, what kind of sheep do you keep out of interest?

At the mo ive got southdowns,but ive got a few contacts in the game so i have whatevers available at the time really normally get 2/3 at a time and have 2 culls a year . Iam thinking of breeding me own but only normaly give the fella £20 a pair so not sure if its worth the greif!

• Like 1

Moved the geese into their new home today.

IMG_1593_zpsc048d427.jpg

IMG_1595_zpse1ec3105.jpg

First night the traps down and had a bite . .

IMG_1594_zpsa0729155.jpg

Been getting plenty of nice eggs.

IMG_1596_zpsc4be6c58.jpg

IMG_1597_zps02e17a75.jpg

And the next part of the grand plan arrived today . . . .

IMG_1598_zpsb1e7bf38.jpg

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 4

I only eat duck eggs if I can help it, lightly poached. Absolutely gorgeous, the daughter in law gets them off a chap in work £2 for half a dozen. I have to ask, what are the Pietrain bottles for?

TC

Edited by tiercel

Aye, i've pretty much only been eating duck eggs, been getting five a day from five ducks :thumbs:

Edited to add - but those blue eggs are chicken eggs :yes:

Those bottles, are part of my breeding programme :thumbs::laugh:

Edited by Ideation

Yer, the photo of the eggs isn't the best, but they are a hybrid made up of leg bar and some other bits, solid layers and nice blue eggs, folk like them even though they taste the same.

And yup, it's boar semen, from Ireland, and at some point this weekend i'll be attempting to inseminate a saddelback sow with it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If it works, should through some great weaners at the end of summer, to run on for meat over winter, should be a nice covering of fat, but not too much, good flavour and a better carcass conformation that a straight saddleback, so bigger chops, joints etc. :thumbs: And good sausages.

• Like 1

Have you tried making Welsh bacon out of the bellies yet? When rabbits were plentiful around here I used to swap them with a butcher for pork bellies and make Welsh bacon out of them. Really nice, no shrinkage, no gunk and crisps up quickly. Just wrap it in grease proof paper and would keep for weeks in the fridge.

TC

To be fair when I get pigs done for myself, I just have some joints (fore legs and back legs) and just sausage everything else.

But this winter i'm going to do a couple of bacon pigs and have a mess around with some bacon, gammon, hams etc. Maybe try a bit of smoking or something.

• Like 2

Moved the geese into their new home today.

IMG_1593_zpsc048d427.jpg

IMG_1595_zpse1ec3105.jpg

First night the traps down and had a bite . .

IMG_1594_zpsa0729155.jpg

Been getting plenty of nice eggs.

IMG_1596_zpsc4be6c58.jpg

IMG_1597_zps02e17a75.jpg

And the next part of the grand plan arrived today . . . .

IMG_1598_zpsb1e7bf38.jpg

Spunk and Spices.........nice !! :D

• Like 2