• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

Here they are jai I managed to get a few pics up. Your place looks completely different from when you first had it I bet you've done a few man hours there when you tot it all up.

20140516_211953_zpsdv5emubz.jpg

20140516_211950_zpslzd1divt.jpg

I'll have to have a go at bacon this time around especially after reading Tc's bit.

• Like 6

At the moment the eggs just go to me, family and friends, although if I could find a way of selling some, I would.

The pork is mostly getting sold, i'm slaughtering about ten pigs this summer, and I'm keeping probably one or one and a half for me and my family, the rest is getting sold, a lot of it's already been booked.

But yer, longer term, I'd like the livestock to look after themselves, maybe even turn a profit.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

At the moment the eggs just go to me, family and friends, although if I could find a way of selling some, I would.

The pork is mostly getting sold, i'm slaughtering about ten pigs this summer, and I'm keeping probably one or one and a half for me and my family, the rest is getting sold, a lot of it's already been booked.

But yer, longer term, I'd like the livestock to look after themselves, maybe even turn a profit.

:thumbs:

That would be the ideal situation mate and once you are turning a profit try and expand and make a living from it ......

• Like 3

£90 a half pig, aiming to kill it out at a live weight of around 70 kg, so about 30 Kg on a half pig meat weight. Usual joints, chops, belly and a couple of kg of nice sausages (which I pay a bit extra to get made on top of my slaughter and butchery fee).

I've not taken many photos of late, as it's been hammering it down all of the time. The pigs are well, and growing. As are the geese, who now have a new paddock.

The chickens are doing my head in a bit, but the ducks are grand. We've pretty much decided to leave the chickens as they are, maybe even get rid and get a few more ducks, maybe as many as 20, as layers.

Hopefully I might have a few ducklings to, as one of the Khaki camp bells has made a nest and has 11 eggs in it at last count.

I'm searching (with no luck) for grazing at the moment, i'm trying to find a few acres, about ten or so, to run some sheep on. But it hard finding land round here at the moment. But i've a few farmers to ask, who might do me a favour.

Lots of plants out now as well, corn, potatoes, chills, tomatoes, squash, sun flowers, lots of herbs, and some melons inside.

£90 a half pig, aiming to kill it out at a live weight of around 70 kg, so about 30 Kg on a half pig meat weight. Usual joints, chops, belly and a couple of kg of nice sausages (which I pay a bit extra to get made on top of my slaughter and butchery fee).

I've not taken many photos of late, as it's been hammering it down all of the time. The pigs are well, and growing. As are the geese, who now have a new paddock.

The chickens are doing my head in a bit, but the ducks are grand. We've pretty much decided to leave the chickens as they are, maybe even get rid and get a few more ducks, maybe as many as 20, as layers.

Hopefully I might have a few ducklings to, as one of the Khaki camp bells has made a nest and has 11 eggs in it at last count.

I'm searching (with no luck) for grazing at the moment, i'm trying to find a few acres, about ten or so, to run some sheep on. But it hard finding land round here at the moment. But i've a few farmers to ask, who might do me a favour.

Lots of plants out now as well, corn, potatoes, chills, tomatoes, squash, sun flowers, lots of herbs, and some melons inside.

Jai ....................if you want a few layers I could point you in the direction of a good place were I pick mine up from and not to far from you :thumbs: . I had mine at 12 months old at £4.50 a bird . Always had good quality birds from there you may even know for it.

Jai ....................if you want a few layers I could point you in the direction of a good place were I pick mine up from and not to far from you :thumbs: . I had mine at 12 months old at £4.50 a bird . Always had good quality birds from there you may even know for it.[/quote £4.50 ? Round here their normally price of what the pet food company gives the farmer £1/ £1.50 a bird.

Looks like its comming on nicely there now mate as for the Harris fencing iv done the same I ran electric fence around mine one strand about 6 inches high kept fox out ;)

Just watch for the welds they sometimes ain't that good and befor electric fence was up and running fox pulled two of the vertical bars out on perimeter Harris fence and then done same to internal Harris pen in both places there was a vertical bar already broke on weld so he was half way there

Atb

Jai ....................if you want a few layers I could point you in the direction of a good place were I pick mine up from and not to far from you :thumbs: . I had mine at 12 months old at £4.50 a bird . Always had good quality birds from there you may even know for it.[/quote £4.50 ? Round here their normally price of what the pet food company gives the farmer £1/ £1.50 a bird.

Is that at twelve months or when the they have gone off the lay ?