Well, I wasn't planning on 100 sheep mate.

And I certainly wouldn't keep 100 on 30 acres year round.

If I go back to keeping sheep, i'd just be starting small for a bit of meat for friends and family.

If I was planning to farm them commercially, i'd be looking for lots of rented grazing, and looking to only feed grass, and lamb out. But at the moment i'm keeping a few pigs and a few chooks on three acres . . . . so I think taking over the world of sheep farming may need to wait until next year.

• Like 2

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

I keep 6 sheep on a mates land,about 1 and half acres split into 4 paddocks they get a week in each paddock(so each paddock has 3 weeks to recover) works a treat :thumbs: Got two nearly ready :D gonna do the deed end of month!

• Like 2

Sounds great matey :thumbs:

Yer, with sheep it's all about range, as long as you can keep moving them onto fresh grass, your grass recovers well enough. It's when you keep them on land too long you get problems.

I'd love to get back to how it was when I was younger, but my old man gave up all his grazing, and now, round here, rented grazing is hard to come by, with all of the horsey folk, willing to pay stupid money for it split into wee bits.

But i'll keep my eyes and ears open, as I reckon if I could get the right land to rent at the right place, I could make a tidy enough wage out of sheep. Well, I have a theory, so I'm willing to take a wee gamble to see if it works . . . .

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well mate . . . . .we'll get some more permission from a farmer one way or another. . . . . even if i've got to become a farmer to do it :laugh:

Got to ring David tomorrow and have a chat about hole digging, this rain has been a b*****d!

Oh yer. . . . pulled up this morning and there was a rabbit munching on my grass! :laugh:

• Like 1

Sounds great matey :thumbs:

Yer, with sheep it's all about range, as long as you can keep moving them onto fresh grass, your grass recovers well enough. It's when you keep them on land too long you get problems.

I'd love to get back to how it was when I was younger, but my old man gave up all his grazing, and now, round here, rented grazing is hard to come by, with all of the horsey folk, willing to pay stupid money for it split into wee bits.

But i'll keep my eyes and ears open, as I reckon if I could get the right land to rent at the right place, I could make a tidy enough wage out of sheep. Well, I have a theory, so I'm willing to take a wee gamble to see if it works . . . .

Sure is all about range, with this system i keep an eye out for fly strike in the warmer months and give em a worming now and then and thats it .Never had a problem with this setup and been 4 years now only get fresh grass and a bit of hay winter time,not the biggest sheep to fill the frezzer but probrably cost me £25 a year,Works for me :yes:

I keep 6 sheep on a mates land,about 1 and half acres split into 4 paddocks they get a week in each paddock(so each paddock has 3 weeks to recover) works a treat :thumbs: Got two nearly ready :D gonna do the deed end of month!

Yep on smallish plots strip grazing is the way forwards, really easy once they are electric fence trained.

My 3 Lleyn ewes are bloody fertile and make good mums, only need to walk them up the lane to a friends handy tup.....

Regards

Moel

Love this thread Jai, glad you've got your head together and not giving it up just yet… I've not looked at this for a while, my heart sank when I first read you wanted to sell up! Then following on getting more stock… Emotional roller coster or what!!! (I'm clearly a soppy tw@t!!!) :laugh:

Keep at it… :thumbs:

• Like 5

How's the goose run going Jai?

I'm struggling to get picks up of my new purchases but I'll have a look again a bit later.

I was surprised at the amount of grass starting to grow when I drove passed the other day !!!!!!!!!

Haha Jai's farm . . . . not quite yet . . . . . need 12 acres to be a farm :laugh:

Goose run is done and in situ (well almost), i'm just off down there now to do a bit of clearing for them to have a wee fenced in paddock as well.

Get some pics of those pigs up mate, they were little beauties. :victory:

Haha Jai's farm . . . . not quite yet . . . . . need 12 acres to be a farm :laugh:

Goose run is done and in situ (well almost), i'm just off down there now to do a bit of clearing for them to have a wee fenced in paddock as well.

Get some pics of those pigs up mate, they were little beauties. :victory:

My phones playing up I think ...............pics taken but can't upload them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr forking thing.

They've settle in pretty fast . :thumbs:

I might have to bite the bullet this year and do a bit of fencing my self this lot don't seem to be the type to be bothered by the electric fence when they're older. That said I've had a Zap already this year ( who moves a lone bluebell leaf on the bottom strand that's tripping it out...................by hand ? :cray::laugh: .)