So that's me back at ten pigs again, a long with fourteen assorted poultry, and the gang of assorted dogs and ferrets :laugh:

Might get some more ducks, been having eggs every day and they are great, better than chickens I reckon :thumbs:

IMG_1543_zpsb3e055ed.jpg

Oh yer, also forgot to say, i've started on the veg, got some lettuce greens, rocket etc out now, some chillis and peppers, and a herb garden started. Going to get some sweet corn in next, and look into some fodder crops like sugar beat or something, to replant the old pig pens.

Saw a rat today at the pig trough, so a half dozen fens and a few cages will go down tomorrow.

Oh. . . . and the grass is growing!!!!!

IMG_1542_zps6462ad7d.jpg

It's pretty sad how happy that grass makes me.

Nothing sad about it mate, I feel my heart lift if even see grass here and don't talk to me about standing under lush green trees makes me wanna cry :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

The pork is great, out of this world!

And yep, John boy, the sire is a ped Pietrain, and the sow was a landrace/welsh/large white mix. You can tell a pietrain by the arse! Just like the Belgium Blue in cattle or the Beltex in Sheep, those belgiums make some cracking terminal sires!

Shroom - aye mate, our green and pleasant land is something special.

• Like 2

Great thread, hope you get the housing issues sorted...... Wonderful to see a neglected patch coming back to productivity. Fine looking pigs.

Major progress with that big digger. Best thing we ever did on our little smallholding was get a digger in for a couple of days at the start......

Could I ask, is that a Draper Fence Straining tool in one of your fencing photos, if it is, are they any good? need to do a bit of awkward fencing and the monkey strainers won't work on this bit......and the draper is under £30 on amazon.

So whats going on the grass, or are you going to make silage/haylage..... Blue barrel grass clipping silage is good and an easy way to save on winter feed bills.

Regards

Moel

FOD - Yes you can!

Moel - It is indeed a draper tool, and although some don't quite get on with it, and its no monkey strainer, i've done a lot of fencing with it recently and it does the job well for me. . . . kept pigs in anyway!

Blue barrel sillage is good, used to wrap the barrels in cling film type stuff, and chuck some molasses into the barrels before sealing them.

The plan is to just give the geese somewhere to graze, eventually i'll grass more and run a couple of sheep maybe. Although to be fair, now i'm swinging way more toward renting another 20 or 30 acres and just cracking on with the sheep.

• Like 1

FOD - Yes you can!

Moel - It is indeed a draper tool, and although some don't quite get on with it, and its no monkey strainer, i've done a lot of fencing with it recently and it does the job well for me. . . . kept pigs in anyway!

Blue barrel sillage is good, used to wrap the barrels in cling film type stuff, and chuck some molasses into the barrels before sealing them.

The plan is to just give the geese somewhere to graze, eventually i'll grass more and run a couple of sheep maybe. Although to be fair, now i'm swinging way more toward renting another 20 or 30 acres and just cracking on with the sheep.

be a full blown farm soon mate!! nice one :thumbs:

• Like 1

AGA - That's the plan mate, i've promised the Mrs that in five years i'll have turned this three acres into one hundred. . . .

FOD - I'll PM you later mate :thumbs:

• Like 2

I've been off for a few days and missed all this. All I can say is .........Get rid of the lot .......................... :whistling::D and I'll give a fair price for them weaners :D

They do look the healthy little things.Any more about?

Thanks for the reply, Draper tool on its way from amazon.

If you can break even on pigs (or god forbid make a profit) you'll make a fortune with lamb! 20 to 30 acres = a lot of sheep!

Regards

Moel

Hope it works well for you matey :thumbs:

If I don't break even. . . . . i'll give up the pigs :laugh:

A good time ago we used to farm sheep, foot and mouth put an end to it. It'll be nice if I manage to get back to it one day :yes: