Different Standards?

I was going to reply to what "hot meat" said in the lamping stud dog topic about some people thinking they've got better dogs then they really have, but didn't want to spoil the lads topic.

Do you think it's different standards? Kennel blindness? Or are they just so sentimental that they can't see the dog is shit?

I like to get out with a lot of different people and I've been slated for it before. But it's not because I haven't got my own permission or places to go. It's because I like seeing how other people do things and seeing other dogs work. All part of learning and becoming better at what I love.

The one thing I have learnt is that a lot of these self labelled "world beaters" are average at best, and a lot aren't even that. I've seen dogs in the field that I wouldn't give a kennel to and yet they've already been bred from.

There are also a lot of dogs that are bigged up on the internet and recommended by lads who've never even seen the dog in the flesh, let alone seen it work.

A lot of folk say "the dog has only gotta please it's owner". And I agree to an extent. But there are lads who keep themselves to themselves, knock about with a little lurcher a couple of days a week and are more than happy with what they do. But they wouldn't know a proper grafter if it smacked them in the face, and because they are happy with their little Moocher they take a litter out of a dog what's hardly been worked, let alone been tested.

What are other peoples thoughts?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can't see at least one fault in your dog then your lying to yourself ..........

Thats the craic fellahs... We all want genuine good hearted dogs that can provide us with sport, of course we do,.but...   Years ago,..(many fecking years ago... ) I was one of the world's worst

This thread has touched on a lot of points, I got into lurchers because I got out of Collies'n Sheep via a bad decision, I got into Beardies via disillusionment with some Borders all some 30 odd year

very true a dog has to be tested single handed on its game ,wouldnt breed of a dog unless very good at its game , and wouldnt by a non working bred dog ,has to be of proven parents , as you are in with a better chance by far , some people breed for sentimental reasons not beacause they are good ,the lurcher is a pet dog nowadays with only the odd die hard dog man left here and there just the way it has went for some.

Don't get me wrong, I aren't saying only the "die hard dog men" should be putting pups on the ground.

There are plenty of lads with families and full time jobs who still put the time in and can honesty say their dogs are grafted.

But again that comes down to standards. One mans "grafted lurcher" is 5-6 seasons at 4-5 nights per week. Another mans is 2 seasons at one night a week.

Not really sure what I'm getting at. Just fancied a healthy debate :laugh:

• Like 1

I have bred for my own use of 2 of the best dogs i had one was just about retired the other not would i say they was world beaters no they as just 2 good dogs what are good at there jobs and know there job well another may claim that as a world beater but i certainly don't i think this world beater is a load of bollox to be honest just good dogs what suits there owners needs

• Like 3

What does it matter ?? We're not in a leauge table, there is no promotion or relegation at the end of the year. If you're happy with your dogs, then fine. My two are pets first and foremost, they just happen to be Lurchers. I get out as often as I can with them and I try to give my dogs what I think they need. If someone else's dog is better than mine (And they probably are) Well you know what, I can live with that.

ATB,

Arch.

• Like 4

Nothing to do with my cocks bigger than yours Ossie and arch and it realy does matter to some of us ....I m happy for these lads that say " well im happy with my dog he does what I want " they can craic on and I know plenty of decent lads like that ....but some of us are not happy with a dog that just makes us happy some of us want that little bit extra .which you can only find out if that hound has it by puting the graft into it ...some of them make it some of them dont.And as long as you breed with the best you have available then you cant do anything better than that

Edited by MIK
  • Like 6

Youve got to think of game you have around you ! My little bitch will go out knock 12 over on the lamp and I will be happy as punch as there hardly anything around me but I know lads in other areas wouldnt be happy with that !! Also some lads want something out of there own dog to keep for themself can not see a problem with that !

• Like 1

Little moochers ? Do people not bum about there big moochers or point and go dogs who give a feck what people think im glad i go out myself and a couple of mates feck all this mines is better than yours wouldnt bother me if someones bumming there dog up thats up to them :laugh:

• Like 3

Youve got to think of game you have around you ! My little bitch will go out knock 12 over on the lamp and I will be happy as punch as there hardly anything around me but I know lads in other areas wouldnt be happy with that !! Also some lads want something out of there own dog to keep for themself can not see a problem with that !

Again this is down to standards. I couldn't test my dogs local. But some lads claim to. To them a few rabbits a week is testing.

I did a 500 mile round trip for a night on the lamp this season, and done loads 300-400 mile round trips.

Northernlite - don't be offended by me using the term "little Moocher" mate. I know you keep little Moochers. Lol. This wasn't about my dog is better than you'rs. It was about lads having sub standard dogs and thinking they are world beaters.

I know for a fact there are lads out there who've only been out with a couple of mates and they all have shit dogs. Doubling on rabbits and tripling on other stuff. Yet they are breeding and claiming to be owning "top workers".

They have literally never seen a useful mutt in the field.

• Like 1

There are thousands of dogs that fail to reach they're potential for many reasons ..............be it poor diet , lack of training , lack of work and most of LACK OF THE RIGHT P.R

I've sat and listen to an old friend wax lyrical about the achievement of his dog one night. I didn't tell him at the time but waited until the listening crowd had subsided to tell him what I thought..............He looked me in the eye and believed his own lies . I never trusted a word he said after that . I'd spent hours and hours watching that dog and it was never capable of such feats.

The night he mentioned I was there so the number rung true but the amount of dogs didn't.

The point I'm making is that a few half truths a great dog is born and the legend begins

I may be going of tangent here but it's along the same lines as a thread last night that got me thinking about a coursing dog argument about to big names .............I sat back and looked at lads getting behind a dog they never saw run . I remember thinking how can you form a valid opinion on which is the better dog when you haven't seen one never mind both perform.

The major problem with running dogs and finding the best is there is no bench mark. No weather condition. field , rabbit is the same so how do you find the comparison . A dog doing a hundred rabbits a night can be no better than a dog that never see's that many

So does it boil down to which dog has the most Ambitious owner?

• Like 3

Is that not what the threads about people bumming about there dogs and gaz has been out with them and there piss ?

Yes mate that's what it's about.

What makes lads think there dogs are top mark and worth bumming up?

Because it's the best dog they've seen?

My bitch would be the best bitch I've seen if

I only Lamped her in my back garden. Lol