What Makes A Good Hare Dog???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good hare dog is one that makes it's owner happy

A dog shouldnt be specifically for one quarry , Good dog keeps its owner happy running what he wants it to run. I would assume most good dogs would have a pop at anything moving not just old puss.

THE SAME THING THAT MAKES A GOOD RABBITING DOG,,,,,THE PERSON,,,, PUTTING GAME INFRONT OF HIT,,,,

the one you bring out and gives it there best at all times,people say they need to be very fast for Ireland I don't agree as long as there fast enough to break a big rab and can stick with there game and keep it under control that's all you need

One that can catch a rabbit

Might catch fifty plus rabbits and skid on a hare,,,,,,,,,,,,,
but it wouldn't eat the road atlas in the back of your truck. Lol!!

Only because it was drenched in pie juice lol

• Like 1

One that can catch a rabbit

Might catch fifty plus rabbits and skid on a hare,,,,,,,,,,,,,
but it wouldn't eat the road atlas in the back of your truck. Lol!!

Only because it was drenched in pie juice lol

Only had the pies because I couldn't rely on that mutt of yours to feed me! I would have shared 'em but I ate 'em whilst watching it plodding around

some good points lads, but what im saying is if we look at the likes of foxy for example she ran 6 seasons and won 50 plus matches and then produced very good offspring now thats a top class animal, what level does a hare dog have to make to be considered top class?? would ye call say a dog or bitch that ran for 1 or 2 seasons good??

doesnt make the dog bad, just the owner running it too young or not resting it

to me a good hare dog has to be relaxed in tune with the game , saw dogs and owner jump a fence hares spied, dog looks about makes his mind up and is gone , hees read the feild and tries to keep the hare were he wants it to be, for a catch , breeding is important and so is entering and stockmanship, you need the land and game to bring the best out of a dog , something that gets harder each year at times

A TOP CLASS HARE DOG IS A FAST DOG THAT KNOWS HOW TO RUN SLOW AND IF HE HAS THAT MUCH BRAIN HE WILL NOT GET MANY INJURYS UNLESS VERY UNLUCKY. I.M.H.O A DOG IS NOT AT HIS BEST UNTIL HES 3 YEARS OLD AND A BITCH 2 PLUSS. A DOG THAT RUNS BIG OPEN LAND I.E ENGLAND SURELY WONT GET AS MANY INJURYS AS HE WOULD IN IRELAND .TIGHT WIRE GATES HEDGES SMALL FIELDS AND ALL THAT :DYOU WOULD EXPECT 3 OR 4 GOOD SEASONS OUT OF A GOOD DOG I.M.O :thumbs:

• Like 2

if usain bolt only ran 1 time winning gold and holding world record but never defending it would you not say he was the greatest ever regardless i think season upon season being great is obviously what we want but class is class whether it runs 3/3 1 time and retires or does it all season :thumbs:

some good points lads, but what im saying is if we look at the likes of foxy for example she ran 6 seasons and won 50 plus matches and then produced very good offspring now thats a top class animal, what level does a hare dog have to make to be considered top class?? would ye call say a dog or bitch that ran for 1 or 2 seasons good??

your not talking of a good hare dog when you speak of foxy.... Your speaking of the best dog to set foot onto a field !! 62 matches that bitch had and 62 she won !! Sometimes twice a week she was matched !! She would always push on , not the classiest of runner but clever strong and bred to do the job ! , so to compare a dog to foxy is a lil unfair I think ?? She wasn't just good she was undisputed ! ......man I'd like to get hold of some of her breed line !!
  • Like 1

All hares dogs are different and the people that run them are different. Some are out 3 times a week,some only get out once a week,some are into comps and matches others run for the fun off it.Some run all sorts off land others only run the same week in week out.Its really up to the man who has the dog if it's good or not.It might suit him but not others.Some like they slow with lots wind,some like them fast and at them.So really what makes a good hare dog is really down to the man or woman that's running it.

• Like 1