Terrier Inbreeding

as said if the parent are good and healthy and the pups are the same go for it but if you breed any of the pups go either for a distant relative or a total outcross

beat me to it, new blood would be the choice for me

I dont think thats what he is saying is it?

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inbreeding is quiet natural in a lot of species. When you see a red stag with his harem are you telling me that some of those hinds are not his daughters or even grand daughters. It's a known fact

This is closer than most terrier people would ever go. But this dog performed and produced. His Sire is a 1/2 brother sister breeding and Dam is father to daughter breeding. Bred together they were g

This is what happens when you breed to close the fcuking ''Stamp'' of them lot ,,,,, fighting terriers the lot at 1 min hahah ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTLWcMAqyLU

Whats lost on a lot of you is that an outcross is not necessarily so different .I would never use a dog that didnt have links to what i have .The same base bitches take a different way forward in the hands of someone else especially if the DOGS were of different breeding .By research and keeping in touch things arnt so bad .To outcross to something just because it works is courting disaster imo .Also the reason for outcross needs clarifying ,its not to rectify defects its to prevent them occuring .Honesty with yourself and others will go a long way when choosing your next sire .

• Like 4

After how many planned pairings of dogs,and litters produced, roughly does one consider it takes to create a line of there OWN?,i know some think they have a line after breeding two related dogs together,which isn't the case,and the majority are just following someone elses line

,i know its a' how long is a piece of string' question, but approximately,if the dogs are not bred off until tried and tested properly and the same with there offspring, it would take decades I would imagine.

to produce a line type such as what we call the patterdale Century's if you look at old photo' of Bowmans terrier then jump fifty years to breay/buck early stuff you can see the link , what most of us have are family's :) just my opinion

• Like 2

one inbreeding wouldnt hurt..its only if you keep repeating it..

the thousands of foxes in australia came from the 2 foxes released when white settlers came 200 years ago.. all seem healthy

• Like 1

would you rather get a pup bred unrelated worker to worker or a pup bred bro to sis working to the same standard?

it would depend on the breeding behind the unrelated worker to worker pup. if they were bred as an out cross from two tight linebred working strain dogs, then it could be an option, if it was two workers thrown out of scatter bred parentage, then i'd leave them well alone. it's all about increasing the percentages of reproducing workers. and you have a higher chace of doing this by breeding a tight family line of workers...j.m.o.

Yokel.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What i would want to know is how long the chap has line bred and has he used this mating before.Too often would concern me but a one off because they were outstanding would encourage the sale .If your buying it with a view to future breeding /starting a line then please refer back to the breeder for his advice on what to do .Im guessing you have done a bit of background on it and are happy with what you know.

BTW any breeding within a line is exceptable knowing all is well with the stock but too close is not recommended too often .

Foxdropper,with this line-breeding and you seem to come across as you know what your talking about if for instance you have a very tightly line bred dog and bitch and you breed these,what percentage of the litter would you expect to make the grade as i read where a lot are saying if 50% make it there happy,my question is why should they all not make it if they are bred correctly?

• Like 1

Father/daughter and mother/son is closer than bro sister.

you might need to think about that again mate :thumbs:

No Saxon, you might want to think about that again. A child inherits 50% of its genes from each parent, so theoretically brother and sister could have no genes in common (if they each inherit the different 50% from each parent. There is more chance of me winning the lottery but it is still a chance). This would give the offspring of a brother sister mating an inbreeding coefficient of 0%. However, the inverse is also true, and the offspring of a brother sister mating could have an inbreeding coefficient of 100%.

Assuming the original parents are unrelated, the offspring of a parent child mating will always have an inbreeding coefficient of 50%.

well my opinion on it is there will be dominant genes in their good or bad in what it brings breeding. so by breeding brother sister that dominant gene will be put in from both sides meaning the majority of the pups would carry this gene. But if you breed mother son it could of been the father that brought this gene into the breeding before meaning you would be half of that gene going in the breeding. which tell me brother sister would be closer as a dominant gene will show in the litter more im sureill be wrong but ive seen this but in practice by a man who does alot of line breeding atb true saxon

I think it's recessive genes your'e talking about Saxon-both parents must carry a recessive for it to show in a pup,good or bad. And they cant inherit half a gene-if a recessive genetic trait does not manifest in a litter it means only one parent carries it. As will roughly 50% of the litter.

• Like 1

one inbreeding wouldnt hurt..its only if you keep repeating it..

the thousands of foxes in australia came from the 2 foxes released when white settlers came 200 years ago.. all seem healthy

But do you have a comparison?

What i would want to know is how long the chap has line bred and has he used this mating before.Too often would concern me but a one off because they were outstanding would encourage the sale .If your buying it with a view to future breeding /starting a line then please refer back to the breeder for his advice on what to do .Im guessing you have done a bit of background on it and are happy with what you know.

BTW any breeding within a line is exceptable knowing all is well with the stock but too close is not recommended too often .

Foxdropper,with this line-breeding and you seem to come across as you know what your talking about if for instance you have a very tightly line bred dog and bitch and you breed these,what percentage of the litter would you expect to make the grade as i read where a lot are saying if 50% make it there happy,my question is why should they all not make it if they are bred correctly?

Personally i would expect 75% of a litter to make what i consider useful digging dogs ie stay till dug to .I get where your coming from with why not all the litter and i dare say some people would keep the other 25% but you have to have standards as i see it .I will not entertain keeping a terrier that has not worked properly at the age of 16 months.I wont keep anything that messes about in their second year either and so on .The 25% wastage is not just from a pup but culled during work activity if its not up to scratch .Perfection in zero litter loss is IMO unacheivable but i might be just too hard on them . A line to me is made or broken on the standards of the man running it .Breed from shite and shite repeats .

• Like 1