Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

Can anyone remember the letter E's, made of metal, about 5 inches by 3 and very thin? You got them out of the old tube style tvs. I can mind there being loads of them about. Used to use them like frisbys and you could get them to stick into wood like ninja stars lol. Back then I used to sight my scope for the air rifle out the back, shoot crows off roof tops and lamp posts. You'd be looking at 12 months now.

yeah I remember them letter e things we used to use the as frisbys too you had to split them apart from one another
  • Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

Can anyone remember the letter E's, made of metal, about 5 inches by 3 and very thin? You got them out of the old tube style tvs. I can mind there being loads of them about. Used to use them like frisbys and you could get them to stick into wood like ninja stars lol. Back then I used to sight my scope for the air rifle out the back, shoot crows off roof tops and lamp posts. You'd be looking at 12 months now.

yeah I remember them letter e things we used to use the as frisbys too you had to split them apart from one another

Yea mate, hundreds of them. They don't make tellies like they used to :laugh:

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

Sounds like you mixed with the wrong bunch of east end boys .I was amazed after meeting some of them in the late 70s from bethnalgreen and white chapel how clued up they were on hunting.dogs and suchlike.

we used to get the 7 bus up to petticoat lane on a sunday morning, me and my big brother, and there was a side street called club row, just full of stalls elling live animals. ferrets, gamefowl, rabbits, pups, cats, goats, you name it, it was there. and all from the backyards and gardens and housing estates of the east end.

over the years i saw lynx cubs, raccoons, foxes, owls, little squirrel monkeys in pyjamas, fecking everything. my dad reckoned he had seen puma cubs and once a bear cub in the 60s but i never saw those. we're talking early 70s when we used to go, and to a lad it was like an aladdins cave. all stuffed into cratesd and boxes and old prams with a bit of chicken wire as a lid.

used to be a bunch of blokes with big deerhoundy lurchers and russels hang around here, all llong hair and dirty denim and hard as f**k, like something out of the wild west. they usually had a terrified vixen on a chain, or some stoats in a box, or a badger cub, seen them with deer fawns too. just about anything they could catch was up for sale. another fella had a stall selling racing pigeons, and had a load of cardboard boxes under the stall filled with street pigeons he had trapped. the bangladeshis would by them by the dozen, pull their necks and put them in a carrier bag. it was all a bit unpleasant by todays standards, but as i said for a youngster obsessed with animals it was a wonderland

• Like 5

Great read lads , here's a few more some from the 80 s

Peg guns , mud wangers , home made go carts , manhunt , Kerby , playing on factory roofs , and jumping across certain death drops ! , what about the skiddy patches in winter at school , they'd never allow them now . We were happy just digging a big hole !

• Like 1

Im safe in the knowledge my lads being brought up doing what i did... and more...

No computer games in this house.

Is that the answer though mate? I think a happy medium is better. I know when I hit high school I had a Commodore 64 lol but I still went out and did stuff.

Posh Goit, I had a ZX81, then a Spectrum in college!

I also was able to catch eating crabs by hand in the summer, get shrimps in a net, get cockles and winkles, harvest winkles, was taught how to pluck and dress a pheasant, taught myself how to do rabbit (dad refused to eat rabbit after Myxomatosis). I was shown animals and the environment they lived in (apart from the pheasants which were either harvested in the Vauxhall Victor or plugged when they were raiding the seeds in the vegetable patch).

Edited by secretagentmole

I can mind a couple year back the schools were closed cause it was windy. f**k, a windy day walking to school back then, you'd unzip your jacket, put your hands in your pockets, lift your hands over your head creating a sale and walk to school at a 45 degree angle :laugh:

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished, never looked under sea weed. Has never really walked in the countryside, never seen frog spawn, etc. now fair enough, I know his dad and he's a pub 7 days a week guy. This lad seems to be not much different.

It got me thinking..... What kind of start to life is the lads boy going to have? I couldn't imagine growing up without living most of my youth in the countryside. Jumping burns, collecting eggs, catching tad poles, minnows...... This young lad just laughed when I said you need to show your boy a bit of nature, is this the norm?

I've got 3 boys, Dylan 19, Declan 16 and Brodie 7, they have all had the oppertunity and been ferreting, lamping, shooting, fishing,nesting, etc, etc. The eldest took to ferreting, lamping, shooting and fishing though at the moment the social side of life has taken over. The youngest is similair and has done all of the above, last summer we went camping, building dams etc which he took to. Declan was given the same oppertunities but from a young age I knew it wasn't for him, I doubt he could name 5 birds, has never built a dam, has shot targets with the air rifle but wouldn't shoot a rabbit or rook etc. His sport was football which he has played since he was 3, now at 16 he plays for Queen of the South 19's and has had a few games for the reserves so is doing really well.

I don't think any less of him because he shows no interest in the countryside, I'm proud of his commitment and the effort he puts into training and games to try and become as good as he can. What's for one aint for everyone, all we can do as parents is to give our children the oppertunity, they'll then show us what interests them.

• Like 1

I can mind a couple year back the schools were closed cause it was windy. f**k, a windy day walking to school back then, you'd unzip your jacket, put your hands in your pockets, lift your hands over your head creating a sale and walk to school at a 45 degree angle :laugh:

Was there any bargains? :laugh:

we used to get the 7 bus up to petticoat lane on a sunday morning, me and my big brother, and there was a side street called club row, just full of stalls elling live animals. ferrets, gamefowl, rabbits, pups, cats, goats, you name it, it was there. and all from the backyards and gardens and housing estates of the east end.

over the years i saw lynx cubs, raccoons, foxes, owls, little squirrel monkeys in pyjamas, fecking everything. my dad reckoned he had seen puma cubs and once a bear cub in the 60s but i never saw those. we're talking early 70s when we used to go, and to a lad it was like an aladdins cave. all stuffed into cratesd and boxes and old prams with a bit of chicken wire as a lid.

used to be a bunch of blokes with big deerhoundy lurchers and russels hang around here, all llong hair and dirty denim and hard as f**k, like something out of the wild west. they usually had a terrified vixen on a chain, or some stoats in a box, or a badger cub, seen them with deer fawns too. just about anything they could catch was up for sale. another fella had a stall selling racing pigeons, and had a load of cardboard boxes under the stall filled with street pigeons he had trapped. the bangladeshis would by them by the dozen, pull their necks and put them in a carrier bag. it was all a bit unpleasant by todays standards, but as i said for a youngster obsessed with animals it was a wonderland

Great stuff !!.....brings back a few memories,my ol fella worked down Smithfields i remember him walking us through Club Row animal market in his overalls and have dogs chasing him from one end to the other :laugh: ...I had no real interest in animals as a kid but me and my little pals would walk through there on our way to going nicking down Petticoat Lane we,d see old boys standing there holding 7 or 8 pups in their arms....i dont know if you remember the stolen goods market behind the flower stalls in Victoria Park we would always end up there later in the aftenoon and you,d see the same old boys again trying to get rid of their last couple of pups,there would be cages with all sorts in i remember seeing little Marmoset monkeys or Capuchin are they called they used to scare the shit out of me screeching like lunatics.....funny days.....mad when you think back to things we just took as normal everyday living nobody would bat an eyelid at animal markets and stolen goods markets they were just part of the neighborhood :D ...imagine that today !

• Like 2

Great stuff !!.....brings back a few memories,my ol fella worked down Smithfields i remember him walking us through Club Row animal market in his overalls and have dogs chasing him from one end to the other :laugh: ...I had no real interest in animals as a kid but me and my little pals would walk through there on our way to going nicking down Petticoat Lane we,d see old boys standing there holding 7 or 8 pups in their arms....i dont know if you remember the stolen goods market behind the flower stalls in Victoria Park we would always end up there later in the aftenoon and you,d see the same old boys again trying to get rid of their last couple of pups,there would be cages with all sorts in i remember seeing little Marmoset monkeys or Capuchin are they called they used to scare the shit out of me screeching like lunatics.....funny days.....mad when you think back to things we just took as normal everyday living nobody would bat an eyelid at animal markets and stolen goods markets they were just part of the neighborhood :D ...imagine that today !

smithfields.....used to be a pub there where you could get a drink 24 hours a day, this is back when there were "proper" opening times. then they changed their rules so you had to prove you worked on the market unless it was normal pub hours. then the licensing laws all got the chop annyway!

thats the thing gnasher, growing up round these places you dont even wonder or question do you, its just part of the world.