is there anything you can give a whippet to bulk them up?? i dont want her to be like a big bullx but want to get abit of meat on her bones as shes very light... and always cold!! tryed pasta and good beta nuts and kitchen scraps but it didnt work, she also losses her hair in patches now and again??? anyone know of any supplements or anything? thanks

Same as with weight training, people who say they can't bulk up aren't eating enough, CONSISTENTLY, no good adding a bit of grub for a day or two, make sure your adding enough extra EVERY day and guarantee'd your pooch will put weight on

• Like 1

Some dogs are not built to bulk ,I have found it with my bitch no matter what I feed she just wont hold it, was talking to someone on here about it the other day and as he said she just not built that way.... guess you cant change the genetics in a dog , atvb in finding something :thumbs:

• Like 1

Very true, it depends in the dogs genetics.

However, feed wise lots of small meals daily is best, not one or two big meals. Small meals will be more efficiently used by the body. Good quality food stuffs, tripe, chicken, beef and some offal. Use a whole meal mixer biscuit (laughing dog) if you want to use a mixer.

Keep it in a dry draft free and warm kennel.

Good luck

• Like 1

i agree steve my brothers got litter brother to my dog theyve both got 1/8 bull in them my brothers dog celt is built alot heavyer than my dog and ive tried everything to put weight on and nothing seems to work.he dont look underweight and does what i want from him so thats all that matters to me

• Like 1

Some dogs are not built to bulk ,I have found it with my bitch no matter what I feed she just wont hold it, was talking to someone on here about it the other day and as he said she just not built that way.... guess you cant change the genetics in a dog , atvb in finding something :thumbs:

same with my whip bull grey he gets decent stuff and stil looks abit under wieght

you can muscle a dog up by increasing exercise gradually, and at the same time increasing protein and energy intake A LOT. if you dont increase the exercise just the food you will just be putting fat on the dog.

but as folks have pointed out, there is a limit to "natural" weight gain depending on the dogs genetic blueprint.

so we come to unnatural weight gain, the equivalent of human body building. ridiculous amounts of calories, and protein, and ridiculous amounts of exercise, but controlled "resistance" exercise, like dragging tyres, uphill sprinting, etc and repeating it time after time. you will get some excess muscle onto the dog, but as soon as you stop this level of exercise/feed it will fall off again as the dog isnt designed to be this shape.

i think with your dog, i would just increase the overall quantity of feed till you reach a point where you are happy, or if that doesnt do the trick change what you feed it.