Dont Look Down

Saw that programme: it's weird isn't it, that some people just don't have the fear or heights that normal folk would. Is it something missing in their genetic make-up? Or is it something extra in their genes?

I know it's for the buzz: when I were a lass I'd climb steep cliffs for the adrenalin buzz: the more times you feel your life hanging in the balance the better you feel afterwards! :laugh: There isn't enough scary stuff in most peoples' lives these days, so I understand why to a certain extent, and in old times such people would have been explorers or warriors. But what makes them like that? Is it a genetic thing or a mental thing?

there certainly not wired like the rest of us,thats for sure. i worked of heights,nothing as extreme as that,but although i dont have a fear of heights.i wouldnt get up to the antics they do high up lol in fact im no even f***ing sure id go up onto that moscow bridge,and thats with a safety harness.

Its an interesting subject ive never understood if fearlessness is a genetic trait or just a state of mind.....im the sort of idiot who always loved testing myself and putting myself in positions where the odds are stacked against me.....but heights is just something ive never been able to conquer i still break out into a hot sweat going over the Dartford Crossing :D .....taking off and landing in planes i have no problem at all maybe its the safety thing.....most things we fear we can normally overcome with concentration and determination i conquered my fear of deep water by doing a scuba diving course !.....but heights :bad: just cant crack it so my thoughts would be it is somehow genetic and beyond our control.

Edited by gnasher16

Is it something missing in their genetic make-up? Or is it something extra in their genes?

It's actually stated, on the programme, that the brit kiddie was scared to death of heights, just like most people. He 'simply' trained himself out of it.

He says, at one point, how ye need to realise that hanging from a crane, hundreds of feet up, is no worse than hanging from a crane ten feet up.

I guess he's sort of right. Though, I'll bet you or I could saunter along a six inch strip, painted on the floor. No problemmo. But, put us on a steel girder that width, a thousand feet up? We'd want our mummys! :laugh:

I've found the older I get the more fearful of heights I get! As a youngster nothing scared me but I only have to go up 2 lifts of scaffold and my legs are turning to jelly!

The closer to death you get, in age related terms, the more you want to hang on to your life! :laugh: But does it also have something to do with the older brain realising that the body is less fit and able? Slower reactions, less athletic, not as strong?

I found a forum with some interesting theories on it: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2005/02/why_do_the_youn.html

I don't mind heights at all to be honest. Always wanted to jump out of a plane but never got around to doing it, maybe one day. I do however hate extension ladders lol. Was labouring for a roofer it was the bounce with a gas bottle on the shoulder. Used to always imagine I'd loose it and itll bang and push out the ladder with me on it.