Terriers V Spaniels

clipo

over the years ive been doing this type of hunting i have seen or owned a good few of each working the cover, but which type is the best........ :hmm:

while both work cover i think its fair to say they both have different styles.......the spaniel working for you and the terrier working with you (or itself :D ) and the day can go either way when working the two types!!

theres a few things to be taken into account imo and please note this is just my opinion and i no there will always be a dog to counteract anything said.......... ;)

well to start off lets be honest, terriers are not bred for obedience are they :D while a spaniel is :yes: a terrier is a dog that is a determined little kunt that is bred to overcome situations where others fail to reach its goal, even if that situation is someone shouting and swearing at it to come back :laugh:

spaniels,on the other hand, will look at you and wait for your hand to be raised in the direction you want them to go in....and then go that way!!! they can be dropped instantly with a drop of a whistle and recall is normally as quick!!

Also when bushing rabbits the last thing you need is for the lurchers to catch and then a terrier to run claiming back what they flushed out as the results are normally two dogs with half a rabbit each or even worse a fight breaks out. A spaniel will still be looking for game while all this carry's on!!!!

it makes me laugh when some say "terriers have no nose" :blink: its a simple fact that no dog in this world has "no nose" especially a dog that was bred to work in the deepest darkest earths/rock piles etc, so to say this is just down right stupid........ :yes:

a spaniels nose is undoubted, they can find game in a place that looks as barren as the moon and,to me, there is no doubt they win this certain battle on rabbits and feathered game, however up the game to foxes and you wont see a finer sight than a terrier on a hot scent yapping his little head off along the way........ :yes:

there's to many points to call between the two imo and they are both great dogs for the job but to me the spaniel is the better dog as they are so much easier to keep close and your not always worrying where earths are on the land!!! BUT saying that a terrier doing his job well is a worthy addition to any bushing pack :thumbs:

just wondered what you lot thought on it....... :hmm:

Edited by clipo
  • Like 3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .   Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a po

3/4 spaniel x terrier only 6 1/2 months but so busy finding all the time

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse

Posted Images

Two totally different dogs that will suit 2 totally different bushing lifestyles,as is the case with the multitude of bushing jukels about,the terrain you work,what you are happy to see run by unscathed,will determine the dog that best suits the individual hunter.

Sounds like you've only ever been out with poor terriers, my plummers/russells have as much brain and are every bit as controllable as any spaniel I've been out with, my mate is a professional gun dog trainer and spends half his day sorting out manic spaniels that eat the house up, I bush every day and its not by chance that after working dogs for over 45yrs that I keep the dogs I do, atb, WM

• Like 2

Sounds like you've only ever been out with poor terriers, my plummers/russells have as much brain and are every bit as controllable as any spaniel I've been out with, my mate is a professional gun dog trainer and spends half his day sorting out manic spaniels that eat the house up, I bush every day and its not by chance that after working dogs for over 45yrs that I keep the dogs I do, atb, WM

Well said

like i said there will always be a dog to counteract anything said :thumbs: dont no why you had to drop your 45 yrs in :blink: but fair play if you got decent dogs around you :victory:

would you be confident of taking your plummer/russels on a shoot day with you pro trainer mates spaniels and them performing aswell??? genuine question :thumbs::thumbs:

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .

Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a pound for everytime someone pointed out that their dog did the job as well (or better) than a purpose bred dog. . . . . I wouldnt be sat on here. . . . i'd be sat in the sun . . . a very rich man!

Both of the breeds that you have mentioned are brilliant for the job in hand, and of course, how they take to it, will have a lot of dependance on how they are bred, brought up and trained etc. You will get spaniels that show traits more common in terriers and you will get terriers (like WM's) that show traits that are more commonly assosiated with spaniels.

For me, there ARE differences, or at least differences in what I expect from the different breeds once trained / developed to the standard I would wish of them. Here are just some of the basics.

When it comes to the spaniel I would expect a dog that did not give chase when game was flushed, in fact, I would expect it to stop dead. The dog would be totally mute when working, and would face any cover. Having said this, I would expect a springer and cocker to work cover differently, both in terms of pattern and style. I would not have the dog more than about 10 yards ahead of me, responding to whilste and hand signals. I would never want it to grab or hold live game. I would expect it to be focused on hunting for me. I would want a soft mouthed dog.

In comparisson I would expect a terrier to give chase, and also give tongue in cover, when on game or hot scent. I would expect it to follow a line, rather than just keep working in a tight pattern. I would be happy for the dog to work off from me, and pull away, when in the pursuit of quarry. I would certainly want it to get stuck in to any quarry it captured, or at least grab hold. I would expect a certain amount of independance in it's hunting. And I would want a hard mouthed dog at times!

That's just the basics for me.

• Like 9

Iv only worked bushing terriers and they can be controled but never had one that doesnt grap a rabbit when caught and also caught in tight cover and killed had to climb in and pull out !! Hopefully see some guns dogs work some day

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .

Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a pound for everytime someone pointed out that their dog did the job as well (or better) than a purpose bred dog. . . . . I wouldnt be sat on here. . . . i'd be sat in the sun . . . a very rich man!

Both of the breeds that you have mentioned are brilliant for the job in hand, and of course, how they take to it, will have a lot of dependance on how they are bred, brought up and trained etc. You will get spaniels that show traits more common in terriers and you will get terriers (like WM's) that show traits that are more commonly assosiated with spaniels.

For me, there ARE differences, or at least differences in what I expect from the different breeds once trained / developed to the standard I would wish of them. Here are just some of the basics.

When it comes to the spaniel I would expect a dog that did not give chase when game was flushed, in fact, I would expect it to stop dead. The dog would be totally mute when working, and would face any cover. Having said this, I would expect a springer and cocker to work cover differently, both in terms of pattern and style. I would not have the dog more than about 10 yards ahead of me, responding to whilste and hand signals. I would never want it to grab or hold live game. I would expect it to be focused on hunting for me. I would want a soft mouthed dog.

In comparisson I would expect a terrier to give chase, and also give tongue in cover, when on game or hot scent. I would expect it to follow a line, rather than just keep working in a tight pattern. I would be happy for the dog to work off from me, and pull away, when in the pursuit of quarry. I would certainly want it to get stuck in to any quarry it captured, or at least grab hold. I would expect a certain amount of independance in it's hunting. And I would want a hard mouthed dog at times!

amen to that.......... :D brilliant reply mate :thumbs:

I know I rant on about small old lap dog style jack russels, but they really give me so much enjoyment when bushing. I'm so lucky to own my little old bitch. It is personal preference and I'd gladly work either, but for the tight stuff there's not a spaniel on this earth that would move so naturally through it working rabbit. The slow pace of these old lap dog style jacks really suits me well.....they're just custom made for bushing rabbits....simple.

• Like 3

Aye, pet spaniels that get no exercise i bet?

• Like 1

I have a terrier that I take beating, he is the only terrier out of about 20 dogs on a small shoot, mostly choc labs as pickers with some cockers and the rest ESS in the beating line, luckily for me the keeper is aware of what he can do, doesn't miss sitters and is stubborn when on a line, but as a cover dog the keeper loves him which unfortunately for me means we get the thickest route through, he works well with the spaniels and is ok at beating, but hes best on his own with the two runners flanking him waiting for his signal, I can then give him free rein to go where his nose takes him, this form of hunting is what he excels at, the keeper just laughs at me now when he's chasing a mutjac across two ploughed fields away yapping, he always finds his way back in the line before the end of the drive though.

• Like 2