Terriers V Spaniels

clipo

exactly why not would they work well together I don't know never tried it I'm sure.someone has my.grandfather wud .swear by a spaniel for an job anywhere any cover and still would but he does acknowledge a good terrier but still wudnt have never bought one I guess ever hunter is different

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .   Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a po

3/4 spaniel x terrier only 6 1/2 months but so busy finding all the time

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse

Posted Images

A hound has a different kind of nose and way of hunting with it, from what I've seen. And I've seen some real good terriers and spaniels so I'm not knocking them. And as for voice, as much as a terrier may yip or scream. . . . . you can hear my wee bitch echoing around the hills and forest. . . .

A hound has a different kind of nose and way of hunting with it, from what I've seen. And I've seen some real good terriers and spaniels so I'm not knocking them. And as for voice, as much as a terrier may yip or scream. . . . . you can hear my wee bitch echoing around the hills and forest. . . .

To be honest mate, I've only got one. And that may be while she is easy enough to control, also she has a unique personality, and is very 'soft' to handle. Annnd she is a mongrel, so despite being mostly hound (3/4 beagle, some teckle and a tiny splash of cocker and terrier) she isn't a pure hound, and perhaps doesn't display all of the traits to the full.

I also put a hell of a lot of time into training her and bonding with her, and never took her out in the field with another dog until she was maybe 8 months old.

Having said that, when she goes, she can really go. We've had a few hunts in big places recently, and she will run them as far as she needs, and end up a mile away in not too long a time. So far she has always back tracked to where we are, but I'm going to be investing in GPS, as I can see myself breeding her in a couple of years and keeping a couple back, so it would give me some peace of mind when they do disappear.

Yes I recall seeing photos of it,Looks a handy thing . i have a headstrong terrier , good little busher but when it's on scent there's no getting it back , which in some cases can be a little frustrating when your wanting to move on but like you say this will backtrack an end up by your side again

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse , bracken or bramble to run riot seems daft . In my experience spaniels soon get sick of the battering when they face very dence cover . Also terriers nail a lot of stuff in the bushes . In "pre ban " days i used to get a big pack of mates dogs together to go through the pheasent pens before i sealed them up and put the poults in , we had deer , foxes , rabbits , it was always the terriers and lurchers that stole the show the spaniels never got a look in , and before anyone says your spaniels are shit , The most of em are good working and field trial lines .

• Like 5

My bushing dog is a bullxwhippet and would

Put some terrier an spaniels to shame

It's silly the amount of offers I've had

For the bitch.

What sort of cover will it face ? Im not doubting you but my experience of this cross has shyed from cover . or does it mug stuff as it bolts ?

I believe a terrier will suit some hunters and a spaniel suit others ..but for the sake of it why not just get a terrier X spaniel

I have a Parsons Terrier x a cocker spaniel,a bitch that has a wire coat ,shes a great wee bushing dog ,hard as nails ,will post up as soon as I get it sorted and a couple of Beagle x Fox terriers as well .cheers TB. Edited by toolebox

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse , bracken or bramble to run riot seems daft . In my experience spaniels soon get sick of the battering when they face very dence cover . Also terriers nail a lot of stuff in the bushes . In "pre ban " days i used to get a big pack of mates dogs together to go through the pheasent pens before i sealed them up and put the poults in , we had deer , foxes , rabbits , it was always the terriers and lurchers that stole the show the spaniels never got a look in , and before anyone says your spaniels are shit , The most of em are good working and field trial lines .

Soft spaniels then? I agree with everything else you've said by the way, terriers will catch things whereas spaniels won't but I've never come across a spaniel that gets sickened off by cover?