Should Lurcher Be Kept In Kennel And Run?

Truth is... No dog should be locked in a kennel, nor should they be left in a house... They ALL were bred to be with us 24/7, to follow us and work at our side.... It's what there best at....!!

Thing is, these days, for almost all of us, that just can't happen and we have to leave 'em behind, day in day out...

So give 'em the best space you can to live in, inside or out...AND, most of all, give 'em time, as much time as your life allows, time out from that space, as it should be... With you.... :yes:

;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They get too soft if you keep em in the house.....they should be outside.....in cold, leaky and draughty kennels.....makes them tough....   Like this lot of useless fuckers.....    

It doesn't matter whether the dog is in the house or in a kennel it should be warm ......

a working dog in the house is not an option for me,allways have to clean em down almost every lamping trip.as regards cold thats why many of the old school folk woke up to a dead dog.if a dogs been la

Posted Images

Truth is... No dog should be locked in a kennel, nor should they be left in a house... They ALL were bred to be with us 24/7, to follow us and work at our side.... It's what there best at....!!

Thing is, these days, for almost all of us, that just can't happen and we have to leave 'em behind, day in day out...

So give 'em the best space you can to live in, inside or out...AND, most of all, give 'em time, as much time as your life allows, time out from that space, as it should be... With you.... :yes:

;)

:thumbs:

100% there Paul...mine live in but I am in the process of building a kennel block....then they'll be in or out or whatever....no hard and fast rules.... :thumbs:

I'm also self employed and work outside so mine come to work with me.... :thumbs:

Tell you what though I've seen loads of folk who have their dogs in kennels for 23 and a half hours a day...quick walk...feed and no other human contact....and I mean loads of folk....or out lamping....whack em back in the kennel and forget about them....and pass it off as rest.... :icon_eek:

• Like 3

:hmm:In an ideal world,..it would be grand to have our jukels out with us,. all the time,...and for many years, I was lucky enough to be able to live that life..

Sadly,..time moves on and situations change..

I still try and secure employment where a dog can be utilised,.but on many jobs/contracts,..the working location,.railway/motorway embankments,..(areas fraught with danger, too much wire, etc), it is sensible to leave the dogs at home or at best, in the van...But,.the facts are,..( in my opinion),..the more time you can spend with a knowing sort of dog,..the better..Obviously you need the type of animal that wants to learn and experience everything around it,...a dog that simply wants to chase, chase, chase,..needs to be handled differently,...but a savvy kinda critter, will soak up the job, in double quick time,.and they don't get educated,.. sitting alone in a kennel....

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

i keep all my dogs outside, nice warm kennels and good size dog runs,plenty of food and bedding to keep them full and warm,i never had a dog inside the house for i think they would get to cosy and wouldnt want to leave the fire,not only that,i think a dog that lives in a house is prone to different illness,s so maybe its better to keep them outdoors as it makes them hardy.

• Like 1

For 45 years of having Lurchers ive heard it all, about keeping dogs outside, ive seen a few decent dogs that were kennelled, but also a few useless feckers.

The best hare dog i ever seen pre ban slept at the bottom of his owners bed, and if not there was curled up on the couch in front of a roaring fire, and i seen a lot of kennelled dogs ran aginst this Bitch, and they couldnt touch her.

• Like 3

For 45 years of having Lurchers ive heard it all, about keeping dogs outside, ive seen a few decent dogs that were kennelled, but also a few useless feckers.

The best hare dog i ever seen pre ban slept at the bottom of his owners bed, and if not there was curled up on the couch in front of a roaring fire, and i seen a lot of kennelled dogs ran aginst this Bitch, and they couldnt touch her.

But..the same bitch would probably be as good if she was kept in a kennel.

It makes no difference imo, it's whatever arrangement best suits dog and owner.

• Like 3

It depends if you've house proud or not, after a days hunting they can be pretty mucked up. I always wash there feet and clean of any blood from there fur but when I get in after midnight that's about all I do. There clean enough to go in the run but not to come in the house lol

;)

Good one,not into walking around public places with my dogs but if I'm in the fields woods mountains I would feel guilty not to have my dog.

A lot of time I would rather be in the kennel with the dog,might look a bit extragavent to have sky dish on kennels?