Wheaton Terriers

They would make no noise while traveling the shute...when they reached the pot where the badger was, a board seperating the two would be lifted and dog would be expected to get in contacted with the badger...no hesitating , growling , barking...or yelping... and work in silent for the 6 minutes....

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the last year federation trials ware held was back in 1984 ... here are some photos of Wheaten Terriers from before then....        

I have to disagree with you there Niel as a lurcher is a very handy tool around a dig,even more so than the gun.Both you and i have seen foxs slip out unnoticed and be out of gun shot range in no time

I dug 4 foxes Sunday morning for 3 digs in a place where they're not a problem and gets heavily lamped. I ended all 3 digs the same way. No gun used (even though I had one) , no strong dog, no handli

Posted Images

Im not 100

What size was the Shute. Was there a min and max weight\size

Im not 100% sure but I think it was 11 inches square, for heavy dogs ... and 9 inces square for the sounders....no weight limit...a lot ware well over weight...

Edited by Carlovian

Taken from an old rule book I have, with the rules governing major trials.

Rule 5.

The shore size must be 11" X 11" for strong dogs and 9" X 6" for sounders and a minimum of 25 feet in length ( 35 feet maximum ). No metal to be used in construction other than a wire mesh grill ( covered with carpet etc ) to facilitate judging and which must be used. The pot will be inspected by the judges. A slide must be used.

Fascinating stuff......but when did the trials officially end?

They would have officially ended with the introduction off the badgers act and all it's amendments that were made over the years, which in turn made everything associated with badgers and hunting etc. illegal. That seems the only reasonable answer to your question. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 2

Fascinating stuff......but when did the trials officially end?

They would have officially ended with the introduction off the badgers act and all it's amendments that were made over the years, which in turn made everything associated with badgers and hunting etc. illegal. That seems the only reasonable answer to your question.

I still rekon that from the badgers act was passed it was that what gave the antis the momentum to bring the ban of 2005. both acts should never have been brought into law. but I guess that's what happened when splits become apparent in the hunting world as a whole. theres always going to be hunters who to save their own sport will happily sacrifice another that don't participate in. and it shows where the lack of unity in the hunting world between all classes and all types of hunting have led to the bans in place today. just my opinion though

• Like 3

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/rabbits-and-badgers

i know its been put on here before .

would the strong dogs regulary draw the Badger ?

Some dogs did some didn't, the dog had to draw it completely from the shore onto the field in the time mentioned. Not like in that video. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

They had to work the badger in silence for 6 minutes. Even if they didn't draw it they could still qualify.

Trials were ran by the I.K.C. 'till 66 when they were then ran by the individual clubs.

Badger digging became illegal in 76 but it's well known that the biggest trials were held up until the mid 80s. Then because of a few high profile television programs they died out.

They're an important part of the history of the wheaten terrier and the Irish strains of staffords but IMO thankfully they're a thing of the past.

Badger digging in Ireland wasn't banned because of the trials as the trials were a very well kept secret that were ran well and sportingly.

Digging the badger was banned because of the fools who thought that the fun of a dig starts once the terrier has been removed from the dig.

Pity, because when properly done the terrier can be the badgers friend unlike the snare used nowadays.

• Like 5

They had to work the badger in silence for 6 minutes. Even if they didn't draw it they could still qualify.

Trials were ran by the I.K.C. 'till 66 when they were then ran by the individual clubs.

Badger digging became illegal in 76 but it's well known that the biggest trials were held up until the mid 80s. Then because of a few high profile television programs they died out.

They're an important part of the history of the wheaten terrier and the Irish strains of staffords but IMO thankfully they're a thing of the past.

Badger digging in Ireland wasn't banned because of the trials as the trials were a very well kept secret that were ran well and sportingly.

Digging the badger was banned because of the fools who thought that the fun of a dig starts once the terrier has been removed from the dig.

Pity, because when properly done the terrier can be the badgers friend unlike the snare used nowadays.

And that about sums it all up Neil,things were going well until certain individuals started talking after beer about what they had in there possession to the VERY WRONG PEOPLE.That caused civil war and rightly so everybody started to just do there own thing after that.I agree with you it was not the trials stopped badger digging(they were kept very secret)it was the morons who unfortunately are still out there who think a bull lurcher is a necessity at a dig.Personally I liked the strong dogs that did not pull. LOL

• Like 3

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/rabbits-and-badgers

i know its been put on here before .

would the strong dogs regulary draw the Badger ?

just to add.... there are some great old clips on british pathe web site....

most them dogs on that clip look like they just want to kill each other jumping and snapping at each other. were the dogs from the trailing days dog aggressive or was it just that they weren't socialized much with other dogs due to the nature of the sport...........out of all the dogs on that clip if i could of choose a dog to have id have the one the chap whose smoking a cigar is holding whats just standing there with its tail wagging....no need for bouncing around snarling and sniping just waiting for his turn lol

• Like 2