Wheaton Terriers

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the last year federation trials ware held was back in 1984 ... here are some photos of Wheaten Terriers from before then....        

I have to disagree with you there Niel as a lurcher is a very handy tool around a dig,even more so than the gun.Both you and i have seen foxs slip out unnoticed and be out of gun shot range in no time

I dug 4 foxes Sunday morning for 3 digs in a place where they're not a problem and gets heavily lamped. I ended all 3 digs the same way. No gun used (even though I had one) , no strong dog, no handli

Posted Images

The trials don't impress me they look like a load of men playing games track a rabbit 100 feet and stay at a badger for six minutes it's not really work and don't prove much a load of silly rules to go with it and the older people that were around for them think they know everything there is to know about terriers i know I've just offended the whole of the hunting life but that's just the way I see it let the abuse begin hahaha

• Like 1

The trials don't impress me they look like a load of men playing games track a rabbit 100 feet and stay at a badger for six minutes it's not really work and don't prove much a load of silly rules to go with it and the older people that were around for them think they know everything there is to know about terriers i know I've just offended the whole of the hunting life but that's just the way I see it let the abuse begin hahaha

your right mate 6 min is not long but that's the rules that were made 4 it . working thar quarry in a shore is nothing like being in there on home war they now war they are at all times now I think it's a bigger test in my opinion

The trials ware a prefection thing... any fault and dogs got disqualified ...some of the big trials would have 40-60 heavy dogs entered it was a long day with the 7 minutes per dog..... Im sure lots had tried their dogs a lot longer in the field or shutes in their yards..... anyhow the first few minutes was the most likely time that the dog would make noise..

Edited by Carlovian
  • Like 1

It seems like a game you would play when you are about 12 can't get out to work your dog properly and I never understood the mute thing I know a dog shouldn't be a yapper but say I took my Wheaton to a trial it got in to the badger gave a growl of excitement then it's disqualified i take the dog home work it properly it does the same gives a growl then goes on for half an hour with the badger and draws it out does that mean the dog is no good because it growled and broke the rules because I have never been handed a rule book on my way into the field

They are tested by doing there job day in day out I have nothing against the trials and if they were still going I would attend but they aren't really a test more of a show and a meeting place if I was going to buy a lurchers and I was told he has been triald and got a certificate he has caught a trapped rabbit I wouldn't be impressed like wise if I was to look at some chickens and I was told the cocks been triald and got he's certificate he's game because he sparred for 6 minutes I would laugh and leave the bird in the pen but just my opinion

It seems like a game you would play when you are about 12 can't get out to work your dog properly and I never understood the mute thing I know a dog shouldn't be a yapper but say I took my Wheaton to a trial it got in to the badger gave a growl of excitement then it's disqualified i take the dog home work it properly it does the same gives a growl then goes on for half an hour with the badger and draws it out does that mean the dog is no good because it growled and broke the rules because I have never been handed a rule book on my way into the field

Most folk back then would be working six days a week to feed there families .... they didnt have the leisure time of today... so a social get together with like minded folk thats costs nothing to attend would be a huge draw....it doesnt mean your dogs no good if it growls... just means you dont win on the day .... every sport has to have rules or etiquette....even out in the field !