Tracking Collars

Ideation

I have used them a bit recently, with friends.

Used them for two days in Spain, and it converted me. Being able to track where the hound is, and it being no big deal that she is 3 miles away and you can't hear her anymore, because you know she is not moving and marking, or when you holla for the dog and you can see its coming back.

Even better when you set out in the direction you are sure the dog went and then check the gps and realise they are in a totally different direction.

It's also made me realise that most of the time they are closer then you think, so you don't have to worry.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You want the Garmin Astro 320 and buy the Topo map for your part of the country.Buy from Ebay from US you can get the Topo maps on Ebay from the UK.You won't regret buying one it is a huge piece of mi

just ordered the alpha with 6 collars at www.thebuzzzardsroost.com   also taked the long range antenna for on the car and the handheld, birdseye, and some extra antennas for when one is broken  

Can you keep us updated Foxdigger.

If your looking for a garmin tracking system, I dealt with a GPS4US, there on eBay. I bought a few systems for my self and friends of mine, I contacted them first to see if they could do something about the custom charges from the US to here in Northern Ireland, they explained to me that the import tax is calculated by how much the shipment is worth, so the would mark it down for a lesser value to save on the duty to be paid. I also send them 3 collars back for repair just 2 weeks ago 2 I bought from them and 1 that was out of warranty which I didn't purchase from them. It cost me 17.50 sterling to send it, as I marked it down for a lesser value which aslo has to be signed for, then to get the collars back it was 130 sterling paid via PayPal to the seller. This cost was 140 dollars for to fix an out of date warranty fix on a dc 40 collar and 2 replacement dc 50 collars. The dc 40 garmin couldn't fix so they sent me 3 dc 50 collars like new with charger and aerial in box. I thought they were very helpful as contacted garmin in the US to see about getting the dc40 fixed and although it was there product they said they weren't prepared to fix it and break international law as they are illegal in the uk. Sorry for the big story lads but this is just my experience with garmin tracking systems... Happy hunting...

• Like 2

Have any of you tried these yet?? Mate has just bought a couple but haven't arrived yet to see what they are like.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201262195956

Can you keep us updated Foxdigger. :)

Will do mate, be cheap trackers at 80 quid if they work!! App on the phone shows the location of the collar using google maps.... Very simple principle, be interesting to see how it actually does!

• Like 1

Have any of you tried these yet?? Mate has just bought a couple but haven't arrived yet to see what they are like.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201262195956

Can you keep us updated Foxdigger. :)

Will do mate, be cheap trackers at 80 quid if they work!! App on the phone shows the location of the collar using google maps.... Very simple principle, be interesting to see how it actually does!

I looked at these a month or so ago, the only downside I can see is they not waterproof as such, splash proof & rain proof yes. But then depending on the charging/power system I'm sure splitting it and rebuilding whilst siliconing the seams would work?

There's some good little bits of gps kit out designed to use with hawks and falcons that work with smartphones I'm sure strongstuff could Design A Collar To Hold One Of These Tiny bits Of Kit Like He Did For The locators a Few Years back.

• Like 1

I was going to ask could you not use hawk telemetry, it must work the same and would be cheaper as you can buy it here?,good thread boys,dd

I thought the same thing. It would lead you to the dogs but I believe with gps you can actually watch what the dogs are doing as in moving or still before you decide to start tracking them whereas with telemetry you just get a signal to point you in the direction that the tag is.