Jimi Hendrix Was He The Best Axe Man?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cant believe nobodys mentioned rory gallagher

Theres loads I like ... entertainment value has to be Angus young , I also love Lindsay Buckingham .. Johnny Marr ... jimmy page .. ... David Gilmore ...

Most of the above guitar players were massively influenced by Hendrix,when Clapton saw Hendrix for the first time he shit himself (by his own admission )and realised he was going to have to raise the

Love this lot ... probably seen these more times than any other live band ... Mick Box is probably someone most of you have never heard of .. under rated imo as are Uriah Heep generally

• Like 2

Both the young brothers,kirk hamnet(student of satriani),joe perry,James hetfield,chuck berry,knophler,jeff beck,izzy stradlin,Keith Richards,Pete Townsend,randy Rhodes,dime bag darrell,tommi iommi,django in no particular order I can listen to for hours loads I've missed to

Agreed. Dime was amazing. Remember seeing Pantera in Newport in the 90s, wonderful guitarist in my opinion.

• Like 1

Imo there's better alround guitarists .... Clapton , McCartney being 2 real good ones , but there's no doubting the man was gifted

I wouldn't rate McCartney at a guitarist a great musician yes,he wasn't even the best in his band Harrison was good though but still Clapton done alot of Beatles studio work so he still wins haha :)

McCartney is a superb bass player check ou the song Rain and listen to the bass runs he does :yes:

Claptons OK but IMO Harrison beats him for creative style, also Clapton only every played guitar on one Beatles track that was While My Guitar Gently Weaps. :thumbs:

Said it before on here my favourite modern player has to be Brian Setzer of the Stray Cats

• Like 1

Imo there's better alround guitarists .... Clapton , McCartney being 2 real good ones , but there's no doubting the man was gifted

I wouldn't rate McCartney at a guitarist a great musician yes,he wasn't even the best in his band Harrison was good though but still Clapton done alot of Beatles studio work so he still wins haha :)
McCartney is a superb bass player check ou the song Rain and listen to the bass runs he does :yes:

Claptons OK but IMO Harrison beats him for creative style, also Clapton only every played guitar on one Beatles track that was While My Guitar Gently Weaps. :thumbs:

Said it before on here my favourite modern player has to be Brian Setzer of the Stray Cats

Brian setzer forgot him.

I read an autobiography were it was claimed Clapton done alot of studio sessions for the Beatles but all uncredited?

McCartney is a great bass player but entwhistle beats him imo,I personally prefer Clapton and the fact he sacked fame with the yardbirds to keep it blues and wait for success his way I like Harrison alot to.

• Like 1

Yes he was.

Not just playing ability but he broke many of the boundaries. One of my favourite tracks is an old blues number called hear my train comin, there is an acoustic version on you tube which is just brilliant

yeh he deff kicked up the boundaries, great to watch+hear, you got the link to the above?
Sure no probs mate, hope you enjoy

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=hendrix+hear+my+train+comin&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CEcQtwIwCQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEOyky6phb6Q&ei=WGEuUvHgJoeShQfLzIAY&usg=AFQjCNFkMjWISWb2_M4GOXjKJp4IYe6_3A&sig2=OXGG8ESULdgQuCtINKHaWw

great , just watched (hey joe +purple haze ) 1967 with his band blew me socks off, :thumbs::yes:

Most of the above guitar players were massively influenced by Hendrix,when Clapton saw Hendrix for the first time he shit himself (by his own admission )and realised he was going to have to raise the bar.Regarding technical ability no Hendrix wasn't particularly accomplished,he just had a natural feel for it and that was what made him great,he had no self imposed restrictions.His influence can be heard on pretty much any the big rock guitarists in the last 40 years...barring Frank Zappa and Hendrix himself Ive seen all the above live and Ive got to say Slash stands head and shoulders above the rest for me :yes: Joe Satriani is a massively talented guy,technically a genius,but it tends to become a bit boring after 4/5 tracks,Steve Vai is pretty much the same ,saw him at the Apollo one night,mind blowing talent,one of his guitars had two necks ,he was swapping from playing left to right handed seemlesly in the middle of blisteringly fast runs,for the first 20 mins I was transfixed,after that it got a bit boring ,then he murdered Hey Joe and Redhouse,by the hour mark I was ready to cut myself :yes: 21/2 hours it went on for,worse gig ever :laugh:

Spot on, Clapton has gone on to say that "I couldn't get near him". There are so many more accomplished players than Hendrix now but they all owe him so much. For me he's still the best there has been.

I too have seen Steve Vai, with Dave Lee Roth on his first tour, he lives in a different dimension which I personally don't get and dislike. Far to technical and sterilised.

Anyway, guitar players who ain't singers should be part of a band, Slash to name but one, is feck all without GnR, who bought his last album, what album, who cares...

My personal favorites are Angus Young and Billy Gibbons (who, as has been said, was Hendrix's fav player). Guitar playing should produce a feeling, those two produce a feeling... "Wanna go for a ride...????" :laugh:

Most of the above guitar players were massively influenced by Hendrix,when Clapton saw Hendrix for the first time he shit himself (by his own admission )and realised he was going to have to raise the bar.Regarding technical ability no Hendrix wasn't particularly accomplished,he just had a natural feel for it and that was what made him great,he had no self imposed restrictions.His influence can be heard on pretty much any the big rock guitarists in the last 40 years...barring Frank Zappa and Hendrix himself Ive seen all the above live and Ive got to say Slash stands head and shoulders above the rest for me :yes: Joe Satriani is a massively talented guy,technically a genius,but it tends to become a bit boring after 4/5 tracks,Steve Vai is pretty much the same ,saw him at the Apollo one night,mind blowing talent,one of his guitars had two necks ,he was swapping from playing left to right handed seemlesly in the middle of blisteringly fast runs,for the first 20 mins I was transfixed,after that it got a bit boring ,then he murdered Hey Joe and Redhouse,by the hour mark I was ready to cut myself :yes: 21/2 hours it went on for,worse gig ever :laugh:

Spot on, Clapton has gone on to say that "I couldn't get near him". There are so many more accomplished players than Hendrix now but they all owe him so much. For me he's still the best there has been.

I too have seen Steve Vai, with Dave Lee Roth on his first tour, he lives in a different dimension which I personally don't get and dislike. Far to technical and sterilised.

Anyway, guitar players who ain't singers should be part of a band, Slash to name but one, is feck all without GnR, who bought his last album, what album, who cares...

My personal favorites are Angus Young and Billy Gibbons (who, as has been said, was Hendrix's fav player). Guitar playing should produce a feeling, those two produce a feeling... "Wanna go for a ride...????" :laugh:

Like as I can't hit the tick.

Still remember the first time I heard thunderstruck.......wow

There was a story I heard the Clapton came up to Angus young giving it the big one and said "you only play 3 chords " Angus surrounded by a now silent crowd came back with "yeah mate but I know all 5" apparently Clapton stormed off!!!

Really like that one :)

• Like 2

Billy Gibbons never got the adulation or acknowledgement he deserved in my opinion,seen ZZ Top a couple of times,he is seriously talented....also liked his early bluegrass stuff Dust My Broom etc :boogy: Last time I saw AC/DC was the Stiff Upper Lip tour,the guys mind blowing,yep,hes fast loud etc,one of the guys biggest talents is knowing when to just sit on a note,or take a pause,no pointless twiddling for the sake of it :laugh: I must however take you to task sir :laugh: have you listened to Slashs last album? if not give your ears a treat and listen to Starlight....sublime ,melodic ....make your hair stand up :yes: enjoy :thumbs:

• Like 2