The Badger Cull

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 'cull' is just a big waste of money IMO. Be much easier if they just lifted the badgers protected status and let the farmers control or get lads in to control their own badgers if they have probl

Really?? Do you believe everything you read in BBC Wildlife magazine??

Well this topic proves it . There a lot of guys on here who have more mouth than brains! It's wonderful how there are sooo many experts on here when even the best scientists in the country admit th

theres as many badgers as seagulls and even so they still under a high protected status seagulls may not cause the spread of disease on cattle but they cause some damage to propertys and attack people left right in centre, i seen an old man get nocked off his feet a few weeks ago he had a 3in gash in his head and was nocked out for ages the protected status wants lifting from both badgers and gulls plenty of sport for lads like us public protection and also disease control numbers of everythink must be controlled i can see the pied piper days cuming back the shite they protect these days

i think it should be up to the farmers to shoot them or get lads in to get rid of them it would be cheaper and alot less agro, or just lift the ban and any one who doesnt like it or trys to stop it should be culled aswell that will also sort the population problem out !!!!!

happy hunting lads

it was said on the news yesterday only 5 pr cent of the culled brock was tested for tb ,the rest incinerated :hmm:

And?

It's a statistical sample.

Don't forget, the trial is not to see if badgers have TB; we know they do and we know they spread it.

The trial is to test the theory that badgers can be humanely shot with rifles, and if enough can be shot in a short space of time to help reduce herd breakdowns.

the simple thing is just lift the protection the badgers enjoy and let country folk quietly get on with it , no big who ha s at the end of the day noboby want to see them wiped out just control the numbers and keep the clean badgers

• Like 1

it was said on the news yesterday only 5 pr cent of the culled brock was tested for tb ,the rest incinerated :hmm:

And?

Don't forget, the trial is not to see if badgers have TB; we know they do and we know they spread it.

The trial is to test the theory that badgers can be humanely shot with rifles, and if enough can be shot in a short space of time to help reduce herd breakdowns.

has it 100% been proven they have it, i did read that deer can carry it?????????

Edited by bristol tim

And?

has it 100% been proven they have it, i did read that deer can carry it?????????

'There is currently little active surveillance in the UK of bovine TB in other mammals, so why has only the badger being targeted? Whilst the primary host of bovine TB is cattle, the organism has been isolated from a wide range of species, including deer, pigs, sheep, horses, dogs, cats and rats (usually referred to as ‘spillover hosts’). Cats (estimated populations of well over 1 million feral and 7.5 million domestic pets www.cats.org.uk/media/facts.asp) and around 60 million rats (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2164999.stm), in particular, are far more numerous than badgers (around 288,000 – www.binfieldbadgers.org.uk/about_badgers.htm) and likely to live in closer proximity to cattle. Cats are more likely to drink raw milk from dairy cows. Apparently (ref. 7) ‘all mammals, including cats, are susceptible to the disease to a varying degree; cats can contract the causative bacteria (M bovis) if they come into close contact with the source of infection’ (so can presumably spread it). There have been cases of other domestic animals, such as goats and alpacas that have become infected with bovine TB. Whilst such incidents are still rare the Welsh Assembly government has ploughed ahead and now has power to enter land for the purpose of testing cattle, sheep, goats, other ruminants and swine for bovine TB (http://wales.gov.uk/docs/drah/publications/090630gwladtben.pdf).

These are the facts!!! Latest data on domestic and companion animals from VLA, the BIG question here is why they do not consider the species they have identified high prevalence of TB as problems? Basic summary of 2009 data thus far:

Deer = 36% positive (includes farmed, wild and park deer)

Cat = 25% positive

Dog = 27% positive

Pig = 19% positive

Alpaca = 56% positive

Llama = 0%

Sheep = 44% positive

Goat = 0

Ferret (!) = 0

Farmed wild boar = 0 (NB: two cases this year confirmed for wild boar and TB, both on TB infected farms

HUMANS have a 1% incidence of TB, skewed to farm workers."

An increasing trend is for higher occurrences (live cultural positives) of TB in cats and alpaca (these are live culture diagnostics so cannot be argued with by the vets etc). I don't want to point fingers at any animals (all are great) but we do have an enormous feral cat population and an, as yet unquantified, deer population,

food for thought anyway…."

www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/f

Bloke at work said he had read that the cull was being done with 22LR, firing subs, MOD fitted, from a maximum of 30mtrs away from the set and in a high chair. He asked me if this was correct, i said i haven't got a clue, but it sounds plausible. I asked him what paper and he said he couldn't remember, it was one in someones van. Any one know if this is right?.......or rural myth!

the simple thing is just lift the protection the badgers enjoy and let country folk quietly get on with it , no big who ha s at the end of the day noboby want to see them wiped out just control the numbers and keep the clean badgers

Sadly, it won't happen.

We live in a country which is run by politicians. As we all know, politicians have the small amount of common sense they are born with surgically removed as soon as they enter parliament.

And?

It has been 100% proved.

Deer and lots of other species do catch it, but it kills them quite quickly and they are not 'super extreters' of the bacteria like badgers.

It takes up to 3 years for badgers to actually die from it. In that time they continually 'excrete' the bacteria everywhere they go.

Bloke at work said he had read that the cull was being done with 22LR, firing subs, MOD fitted, from a maximum of 30mtrs away from the set and in a high chair. He asked me if this was correct, i said i haven't got a clue, but it sounds plausible. I asked him what paper and he said he couldn't remember, it was one in someones van. Any one know if this is right?.......or rural myth!

Incorrect.

The minimum calibre for 'free shooting' is .243 and the maximum range allowable is 70 metres.

They will however, be using .22R/F and sound moderators for the cage trapped badgers. They are aiming to catch 10% in cages.

:hmm:The origins of human tuberculosis have been traced back to hunter-gatherer groups in Africa 70,000 years ago, an international team of scientists say.

The research goes against common belief that TB originated in animals only 10,000 years ago and spread to humans.

The work, published in Nature Genetics, outlines the strong relationship between the evolutionary history of both humans and TB.

The disease causes more than one million deaths every year.

Previous research has indicated that human TB originated about 10,000 years ago in Africa during the Neolithic Demographic Transition (NDT), when the human population was expanding and agriculture was becoming prominent.

Researchers combined geographic and genetic data from 259 strains of TB to reconstruct its evolutionary history and compare it to the origins of humans in Africa.

Prof Sebastian Gagneux, from the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, said: "We found that the most basal - the earliest - lineages of TB and humans originated in the same place, in Africa, 60,000 years earlier than what people previously thought.

"What we have done is provide a strong hypothesis to reinforce the idea that TB originally started in humans, and migrated to animals during NDT."

Killer

The question the scientists are now trying to answer how TB managed to survive 60,000 years among small groups of people.

A striking feature of TB, which is not common in other diseases, is that people can be infected with it for years before showing any symptoms. The disease is able to reactivate itself after a certain time period.

This latency is what the researchers suggest kept TB alive during early years.

Prof Gagneux said: "If there are only a few people to infect, it makes no sense to kill them, as you would risk killing itself too. It's an evolutionary dead-end."

Once the human population started expanding during the NDT, TB became more active and was able to spread farther.

So, as the number of hosts increased during and after the NDT, so did TB's drive for increased virulence.

"The next step in this research would be to use genetic information to understand this activation and deactivation mechanism of TB," said Dr Inaka Comas, lead author of the research.

TB remains a global threat, causing 1.4 million deaths in 2011, according to the World Health Organisation. If scientists can understand how TB and humans co-developed, it may help find a way to reduce its prominence.

Dr Ruth McNerney, a lecturer in pathogen biology and diagnostics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the study could lead to further developments in understanding the movements of TB.

"There are now thousands of TB genomes being sequenced in big databases so that in the next five years we'll know more about TB than we ever have, which is exciting.

"This is the first step in that area of research."

Bloke at work said he had read that the cull was being done with 22LR, firing subs, MOD fitted, from a maximum of 30mtrs away from the set and in a high chair ..... Any one know if this is right?.......or rural myth!

Telegraph says. Times seems to be saying much the same. " .22 Centre Fire " means Hornet. Perfectly capable of stopping a brock.

But, I can hardly see the British Army rushing around 'Stan, firing f**king Hornets at the rag heads! :icon_eek:

I suspect some reporter's been fed bullshit, by a Walt. Now it's getting Chinese Whispered.