Hello all,

A field boundary hedge bottom is a haven for rabbits and I think trapping is the way to go. I am considering ovelapping the existing pig netting with a smaller rabbit proof mesh, then making rabbit sized holes in it for tunnel traps. What is the minimum length of netting to be worth doing and how far apart should the holes be?

Thanks.

I have watched rabbits jump over plenty of rabbit proof fencing ,,,it always amazes me when I tell the owner,,, and they clearly don't believe me,,,, no they can't get over that,,, the hedge is to think and growing over the fence,,,,really so how they getting then....

Or a recant one I did,,,,was an exciting post and rail fence,,, with the rabbit netting attached to that,,, they had gone up two rails,,, about 2 foot 6,,,, now there's a big gap above that to the 3 rd rail,,, in fact I could get through it,,, but they still believed it to be high enough,,in fact this one was easy for the rabbits,, as they had a 3 by 2 to jump on to and through,,, I shot a few bunny and trapped a few,,, and told them to put the fence up to the top rail ,,, which they did,,,, of course I've never worked there again ,,,lol. The fence is too rabbit proof

My latest permission the farmer got one side of a wood fenced in as next door rabbits where coming out of there . Christ knows what the contractors done but as said the rabbits are coming over it and the farmers trying to sue the contractor :yes::yes: . i just said why didn't you leave it as it was till i had a look and saw what i could do

Just look at where the runs are already and use them to set your tunnels ........

Look and mark the fences now as to where the runs are,whilst the grass is high and the runs are evident. Rabbits will often use the same runs. So use that to your advantage.

If you come across rabbits hurdeling a fence or wall in the same spot on a regular basis. What would you do to use this to your advantage??

Just look at where the runs are already and use them to set your tunnels ........

After my failed attempt at snaring in another field, I am not very confident I could set them in the right place. The grass has been nibbled short all around but not worn away in any particular runs.

Fence snare them coming through the pig mesh fence

This particular section is overlooked by a cottage. At a fair distance but I thought drab tunnels would be more discreet. Besides, although I have managed to snare a few foxes I have never managed to snare a rabbit. Despite watching Glenn Waters' DVD and getting snares from Trapworks.

Look and mark the fences now as to where the runs are,whilst the grass is high and the runs are evident. Rabbits will often use the same runs. So use that to your advantage.

If you come across rabbits hurdeling a fence or wall in the same spot on a regular basis. What would you do to use this to your advantage??

The grass is all very short. Eaten in the field by sheep and under the hedge by rabbits, I suppose. I know most of you guys could tell at a glance where the runs are but I am seriously bad at snaring rabbits. I have even tried snaring in the snow in the past but never caught.

I am keen to get rid of these rabbits as we are planning to re-seed an adjacent field in the autumn and don't want them to make a mess. Mostly I can clear the area by setting Fenns down holes, something I have been successful at. However I can see (in the distance) rabbits leaving the field to these burries where I can't access the holes. They are very shy as my neigbour insists they are controlled by his air-rifle wielding mate. Having seen his mate in action it is a only a shame I can not sell tickets.

• Like 1

Fence snare them coming through the pig mesh fence

This particular section is overlooked by a cottage. At a fair distance but I thought drab tunnels would be more discreet. Besides, although I have managed to snare a few foxes I have never managed to snare a rabbit. Despite watching Glenn Waters' DVD and getting snares from Trapworks.

the snares will be less visable then a tunnel.keep practicing with the rabbit snares you will get there in the end,if you can snare foxes you aint doing to bad