Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

I don't suppose anyone needs to disclose where, but I know they are there, seen it and believe it, crAcking dogs with more heart than most could deal with. It's also credit to the breeder that not everyone knows about them or owns them. Stunning animals bred with good ethics.

I think you living in a fantasy, if you believe there is any working straing of (English) Bull terriers.... name a known dog from any working line... Uk and Ireland is a small place for people in the know... there has never being a working strain...

Was there not a working English bull called the red hand of ulster

Yes ..he was worked , he was (English) bull terrier...from Kc lines...not from a working strain

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

I don't suppose anyone needs to disclose where, but I know they are there, seen it and believe it, crAcking dogs with more heart than most could deal with. It's also credit to the breeder that not everyone knows about them or owns them. Stunning animals bred with good ethics.

I think you living in a fantasy, if you believe there is any working straing of (English) Bull terriers.... name a known dog from any working line... Uk and Ireland is a small place for people in the know... there has never being a working strain...

Was there not a working English bull called the red hand of ulster

Yes ..he was worked , he was (English) bull terrier...from Kc lines...not from a working strain

Yes I. Now he was kc lines I was just saying he was a English bull terrier

I had one, years ago that I worked. He was kc but a crappy show specimen, tall an rangy, when fit he looked a lot like those Ingles type stuff.

He had a great nose and could find, mark or bush as good as any dog i've owned since, good ratter for his size too, he got stuck into bigger quarry without a murmur and was handy to have around BUT... was as thick as pig shit, could be dodgy with other dogs, especially if sommat was 'his'. No matter how fit I had him (and I was a keen kid back then!) he couldn't hack full days out and his feet would kill him. Even half decent walks with a bit of hunting would have him fecked. A spot of ratting marked him up worse than any dog i've had, never mind any other quarry and it became quite 'awkward' taking him out for exercise and this was very pre-ban!

Lets not forget, I was a mad keen kid, with a terrier a whippet lurcher and a EBT, that may as well come along for the ride, he was our family house dog, never in always out playing with the kids and when I went hunting he wanted to go, so he did..! Different set of rules back then, with different players and no expectation... I honestly believe I dropped lucky and had a ok'ish one..

Would I have another, in a flash BUT only as a silly dopey pet, because in this day and age thats all an EBT is good for!!

;)

Seen plenty of them working,never seen a good one,all they were good for was barking at the foe.

Liam did you ever see the red hand work? and with your experience at the trials do you think the red hand was a one off. what is your fav kinda strong dog?

I personally never seen him trial,but I know some who did,obviously he was a good dog(he certified)some say he was not pure(I dont know if he was or not).My own opinion he was a one off even back then white bulls were shite for the real job.My favorite strong dogs were Cuilleog and CH breeding and these two lines were interbred on a regular basis by the two men who owned the line and myself.Never did better dogs walk on Irish ground.

Seen plenty of them working,never seen a good one,all they were good for was barking at the foe.

Liam did you ever see the red hand work? and with your experience at the trials do you think the red hand was a one off. what is your fav kinda strong dog?

I personally never seen him trial,but I know some who did,obviously he was a good dog(he certified)some say he was not pure(I dont know if he was or not).My own opinion he was a one off even back then white bulls were shite for the real job.My favorite strong dogs were Cuilleog and CH breeding and these two lines were interbred on a regular basis by the two men who owned the line and myself.Never did better dogs walk on Irish ground.

where they bulls? how do you rate wheatens, blues and reds?

They were staffs,the Wheaten was a good honest dog,most of them had bull in them(some wont agree with that)but they could bite you in a minute.All this talk about blues and reds is bullshit(money men)a dog is a dog is a dog,colour never made a dog game.One of the best dogs I seen was a white staff CH breeding with one black spot on his back he danced with the best of them.

Edited by liamdelaney
  • Like 2

It's like I've never been away .......

Why would a working EBT be any good for jogging with?

Come across many badgers that need pulling out of holes on your run do you?

I love THL :wub:

they used a Bull terrier... there is no working strain... if you say Staffordshire Bull Terrier I can name a 1/2 dozen that are out there ..you will not find one line of working Bull terriers ever...any Bull terriers worked in the past at badger trials or in the field ware individual from show kc lines....

But even if there WAS a working strain, how would a type of dog that excelled at pulling things backwards over short distance then resting, be any use at all as a jogging companion?!

My point I suppose is that the working ability does not mean a dog is suitable for jogging with, in fact probably the opposite, the sort of strength in short bursts required to be good at their job would be a nightmare to try and match if jogging.

Think powerlifter running a marathon for extreme comparison.

Ideally it would be a dog that could expend energy over a period of a longer time, an hour or more, and we know what does that well.

All the above is not taking into account the cantankerous nature of some working type dogs, if anyone wants to take mine out for a jog, he'll deffo keep up for 2 hours, but he'll get you into trouble and lots of it on the way!

Made me chuckle these comments did especially the one about trouble on the way some dogs just have that ability :laugh: :laugh:

They were staffs,the Wheaten was a good honest dog,most of them had bull in them(some wont agree with that)but they could bite you in a minute.All this talk about blues and reds is bullshit(money men)a dog is a dog is a dog,colour never made a dog game.One of the best dogs I seen was a white staff CH breeding with one black spot on his back he danced with the best of them.

I ment Kerry blue and irish red terrier did you see many of them tried? its something I would have loved to have went and seen awwww the olden days lol