Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

English bullterriers can make good workers they are surprisingly game and they don't get the credit they deserve

What did you try them on?
I ain't stupid enough to post what I have seen them do but the ones I have seen and I have seen quite afew were very game at what ever they were tryed at
I did not say you were stupid,I do not use that language in a civilized debate on dogs.On the BULL TERRIER 2 thread you said,people who say they are useless are IDIOTS.This idiot has giving several personal examples(as have others)why I think they are useless,but you call me idiot for voicing my opinion.If somebody has no personal experiences to add to any debate or something constructive to say, resorting to the language of the guttersnipe is to say the least not very positive.
my age forbids me to explain my personal experience with these dogs as I was born after the trials but just because some people were around for the trials does by no means make them an expert and to say that ebt are only show dogs is very niev and close minded I have said enough on the subject I will call it a day before I get myself in trouble and just agree to disagree atb

They never compared with Staffords or Wheatens at trials... the few famous Bull terrier...ware really famous because they ware so rare or unusual they they could be worked...and in their day..ware not as good as top wheatens or Staffords..... and in harder sports...they made no impact at all...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

LOL, not entirely Fargo, they were all one offs. I think it's a matter of record that some original bull terrier blood was added around 100 years ago to get the coloured dogs (I wont call them Staffordshires because this was long before the original bull terrier received K.C. recognition under the Staffordshire name) but presumably there has been enough coloured x white mating in the interim to have mixed the genes across the breed.

And they apparently also used this little chap to breed into the whites

post-32-0-27645900-1376691505.jpg

English bullterriers can make good workers they are surprisingly game and they don't get the credit they deserve

What did you try them on?
I ain't stupid enough to post what I have seen them do but the ones I have seen and I have seen quite afew were very game at what ever they were tryed at
I did not say you were stupid,I do not use that language in a civilized debate on dogs.On the BULL TERRIER 2 thread you said,people who say they are useless are IDIOTS.This idiot has giving several personal examples(as have others)why I think they are useless,but you call me idiot for voicing my opinion.If somebody has no personal experiences to add to any debate or something constructive to say, resorting to the language of the guttersnipe is to say the least not very positive.
my age forbids me to explain my personal experience with these dogs as I was born after the trials but just because some people were around for the trials does by no means make them an expert and to say that ebt are only show dogs is very niev and close minded I have said enough on the subject I will call it a day before I get myself in trouble and just agree to disagree atb

You are right,being Around trials makes nobody an expert(i made plenty of mistakes with dogs)but been naive and close minded was never any of them.The only other work that can fool people with ebts is drawing,most cur dogs can draw when the hole is open and the light shines in(even saw Kerrys doing it)Groups of dogs pulling at pigs,deer or goats when the animal is tired and cannot run any more,again most curs get brave when in a group and people think they are game.Game is when he goes down a shore in the dark by himself and stays there getting personal with the lad waiting for him without a sound or a reverse gear.The reason most ebts bark they are afraid(lacking in game),so they lie back and shake there fist and shout at the foe, like a so called tough guy who is full of shit when it is put up to him,we have all seen those in our life.

• Like 4

I really don't want to comment on this anymore as it is going down a bad road but just to be clear I know the difference between a game dog and a drawing dog and there is more to a game dog than just badgers and I don't agree with packs of dogs pulling at any animal it's single handed or it doesn't count I'm going to have to leave it at that you can draw your own conclusions atb mate

so where does the earth dogs rate in gameness? with me theyre at the top as they do their jobs in the dark in unfamiliar surrounds. what is every one elses opinion

Your not wrong there .If sum one told you to go in to the dark hole and find sum one and go one on one you would not be too keen i wouldn't think lol they have harts like lion's in. My opinion :yes:

I'm struggling altogether reading peoples opinions of a bull terrier. The dogs put up in Carlovians pics were very badly conformed animals imo, I don't wish to offend but the pics are there for all to see. Strongstuff said that a bull terrier just needs to hold and reverse. And it's obvious thats all these dogs were bred for, there not Ebts by any stretch of the imagination. The dogs that exists in India and Pakistan and were the pride of the British isle, taken there by the world's most formidable fighting force with pride. That was an all round capable animal, not a pit dog, not a drawing animal, but a very sturdy capable animal, with the stamina of the Dalmation, pit dog/terrier tenacity. These qualities are seen in bull terrier today but you have to travel and be willing to see, Ireland in the seventies and eighties is surely not the only place dogs exsisted, from what I can see the Pakistani dog men may have better experiences of these animals. A shame we can't have a few of them give us 10 minutes.

I believe the present types are in good hands and all this rubishing to be short sighted. The best of luck to the dog men keeping these types healthy and true.

The conformation for a more capable EBT is still around, it's far from the show bred animals of this century and also far from the drawing dogs we are being shown. The original dog bred by Hinks is still here in type, far more hound like in conformation in my opinion and all the better for it. The pics of bull terriers put up, some taken down by moderators show them working, of good structure and of friendly disposition. A perfect running partner for a man, and not bad for anything else it puts its mind too if raised correctly. A crap animal? I don't think so, a bull breed to by proud of? Dam right when bred right

post-27171-0-29167900-1376741676.jpg

• Like 3

I'm struggling altogether reading peoples opinions of a bull terrier. The dogs put up in Carlovians pics were very badly conformed animals imo, I don't wish to offend but the pics are there for all to see. Strongstuff said that a bull terrier just needs to hold and reverse. And it's obvious thats all these dogs were bred for, there not Ebts by any stretch of the imagination. The dogs that exists in India and Pakistan and were the pride of the British isle, taken there by the world's most formidable fighting force with pride. That was an all round capable animal, not a pit dog, not a drawing animal, but a very sturdy capable animal, with the stamina of the Dalmation, pit dog/terrier tenacity. These qualities are seen in bull terrier today but you have to travel and be willing to see, Ireland in the seventies and eighties is surely not the only place dogs exsisted, from what I can see the Pakistani dog men may have better experiences of these animals. A shame we can't have a few of them give us 10 minutes.

I believe the present types are in good hands and all this rubishing to be short sighted. The best of luck to the dog men keeping these types healthy and true. Very true mate a man that knows what he is talking about and can see the bigger picture than some trials in Ireland

I guess its splitting hairs for people, myself I like to see an underdog doing well and like the ebts but the fav strong dog of mine is the wheaten as I like a dog with coat, staffs obviously do what theyre meant to and don't have much left to prove. but its each to theyre own. id like to see more ebts doing a bit rather than imitating a barrel.

• Like 2

Neil they might not be nice looking dogs... but they could not get the nice looking dogs to work...my oppinion on Bull terriers is they are not game..not to the standard of working Staffords and no where near the standard of a average APBT... they ware developed for looks and dog showing...using breeds that have no gameness like dalmations in their make up ..... comformation for badger trials ...they did not need good conformation... to squeeze into a artifical earth... when Trials where run Bull terriers ware rare because it was almost impossible to get one game enough to hunt... the Gull Terr from Pakistan are not a pure Bull terrier other local dogs have mixed in over the years .... Iv seen videos of them in combat...and against bears... and they do not look very game...

• Like 4

While the Bull terrier followers are on here , can anybody help me ? 30 or so years ago a fella showed me a photo of a bullterrier ,the photo was somewhere in Africa I think and showed some British soldiers with a big dog about 70 or maybe 80 ibs , on the reverse of the photo was the dogs name ,rank and service no , also his military record which was something like 20 arrests and 8 kills which I was assured refered to the amount of natives it had arrested and killed , Does any one know anything about this.

Good confirmation will not create winners, it will help them win again and again, the fact that conformation in badger trials was not important depicts to me that it was not that extensive a trial, after all terriers and launchers with pluck are capable I believe. Whilst I don't doubt the what you say you saw with the EBTs in trials I would like to question how many were from pet/ show homes and how many were bought from breeders who breed best to best repeatedly. I think most would be the disregarded pet I think. Like anything bred with continuous breeding from best to best the optimum can be achieved with commitment. How many Staffordshires were not game in ratio to the amount trialed, these figures are not documented. I don't wish to argue, just to discuss

• Like 1