Red Deer

There's a article in the shooting times today about coursing Red deer in Scotland with Deerhounds seems they were more than up for the job.

Shame it was banned before I was born would of been interesting to see that.

Some people say deerhounds and their crosses didn't do the job for them, whatever that involved, but I have to say that all the ones I've seen or owned have been more than capable of anything they were worked on, two being probably the best dogs I'm likely to see, no fuss, no drama, just extremely capable and effective animals. I know you say deerhounds and not x's, but a few on here recently have been slating deerhound x's. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't think so, alot of bringing any type on is down to how and when you perceive the time is right to enter them. No good thinking, 'right, he's a year old now let's get him going', they're all individuals and I'll start mine only when they are physically and mentally ready. People should be able to read their dogs fairly easily, but it seems not that many are able to.

Sorry for the lecture, but I'm sick of impatient muppets slating dogs, of whatever type, and passing em on as 'no bottle' 'not keen enough' etc, when it's normally their fault due to impatience and incompetence. Rant over :D

I seen deerhound xs catch red deer including stags often back late eighties/early ninetys

Toms by any chance ? ;) Dropped a few myself in early 90,s and good running as well :thumbs: Atb

:thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Red Stags......................piece of piss    

How do you know ? quite a few lads have took them back in the day before the silly ban and not just with bull crosses either

To those that said reds could not be taken with lurchers, well its a pity you did,nt get out more and open your eyes before the silly ban came into force. I am only talking hinds and biggish pricket,s

Posted Images

How much deerhound was in toms dogs? had a few conversations/letters with tom in the 90s.he offered me a pup for free still got the letter. i didnt take him up on the offer the time was not right.

• Like 1

don't know mate to be honest ,in a litter they went from 23tts to 30tts ,had 2 pups out of same litter off him a big 30tts dog that all was good for was rabbits and a 26tts bitch a good honest type on everything....

don't know mate to be honest ,in a litter they went from 23tts to 30tts ,had 2 pups out of same litter off him a big 30tts dog that all was good for was rabbits and a 26tts bitch a good honest type on everything....

:thumbs:

Seen in one of darcys book, 2 bull x's i think they were called heidi and master pulled a big red stag, i thinks its his running dog addiction book

Must be true then :)

There ain't a dog alive could bring down a fully fledged red stag single handed. Any dog big enough would be too heavy to catch the f***ing thing. 2 might get lucky if it bounces of deer fence.

Matt the rat, hinds are a whole different ball game to stags.

These single handed Red Stag dogs............did they bring them down or did the deer make a mistake a fall?

These single handed Red Stag dogs............did they bring them down or did the deer make a mistake a fall?

Never grassed a stag only hinds and prickets and to be honest most of the one,s we had back in the day were caught against a fence line or a gutter/dyke. Atb

• Like 1

stick one out on the fens and see how long it takes to catch it

that would be pointless!!! deer are not designed to run long distances hence they never stroll far from cover.......... :thumbs: