Red Deer

Guest Leveller

A mature stag should have his 'rights'. It's an Exmoor term; I expect the Scots have other names for it.

For anyone who isn't local, "rights" is what we call a mature stag who has his first three points or tines these are known as brow, bay and tray singularly and a stag who has all three both sides is referred to as having "his rights" with anything above those is known as "atop".

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Red Stags......................piece of piss    

How do you know ? quite a few lads have took them back in the day before the silly ban and not just with bull crosses either

To those that said reds could not be taken with lurchers, well its a pity you did,nt get out more and open your eyes before the silly ban came into force. I am only talking hinds and biggish pricket,s

Posted Images

A mature stag should have his 'rights'. It's an Exmoor term; I expect the Scots have other names for it.

For anyone who isn't local, "rights" is what we call a mature stag who has his first three points or tines these are known as brow, bay and tray singularly and a stag who has all three both sides is referred to as having "his rights" with anything above those is known as "atop".

what are you thoughts on dogs and stags lev??? genuine question....... :thumbs:

Guest Leveller

Never seen it myself and it holds absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I'm a hunting man so running red deer on Exmoor or the Quantocks with Lurchers is equal to shooting foxes in a hunt country. The stags are harboured for weeks and are selected before being hunted the herds are managed just fine the way they are whatever lads do anywhere else in the country is for their consciences.

Looks like a fine stag Tommy :thumbs:

I've seen a few bigger and lots smaller....

Over the years, I shot more than my fair share of 'em :yes: sometimes with slug, sometimes with AAA, sometimes with .243 and occasionally with the .22 pistol (usually roadside). I also went through a .308 phase, but reds are no different to anything else; put the lead in the right bit and they go down....

Our pub landlord did a bunk a few weeks ago. One of the saddest aspects for me was that he took with him a fine set of antlers I had mounted that were hanging on the wall in the pub. It was the last stag I shot before I moved up here.

Exmoor reds are bigger and stronger than anything you'll find on the hills of Scotland. I can't speak for Ireland, because I've never been there, but if you ever want to see good antlers, pop into the D&S kennels at Exford. They've got some fine Autumn stags on display there :yes:

are these exmoor stags bigger than norfolk ones,, cos ive seen some monsters down there on a mates place,,dead and alive,, and i wouldnt believe any dog could take one of these on a regular basis,, these are well fed,,and fit beasty boyz.... not poor grade moor reds......

Never seen it myself and it holds absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I'm a hunting man so running red deer on Exmoor or the Quantocks with Lurchers is equal to shooting foxes in a hunt country. The stags are harboured for weeks and are selected before being hunted the herds are managed just fine the way they are whatever lads do anywhere else in the country is for their consciences.

tbh i agree......... :thumbs:

Looks like a fine stag Tommy :thumbs:

I've seen a few bigger and lots smaller....

Over the years, I shot more than my fair share of 'em :yes: sometimes with slug, sometimes with AAA, sometimes with .243 and occasionally with the .22 pistol (usually roadside). I also went through a .308 phase, but reds are no different to anything else; put the lead in the right bit and they go down....

Our pub landlord did a bunk a few weeks ago. One of the saddest aspects for me was that he took with him a fine set of antlers I had mounted that were hanging on the wall in the pub. It was the last stag I shot before I moved up here.

Exmoor reds are bigger and stronger than anything you'll find on the hills of Scotland. I can't speak for Ireland, because I've never been there, but if you ever want to see good antlers, pop into the D&S kennels at Exford. They've got some fine Autumn stags on display there :yes:

are these exmoor stags bigger than norfolk ones,, cos ive seen some monsters down there on a mates place,,dead and alive,, and i wouldnt believe any dog could take one of these on a regular basis,, these are well fed,,and fit beasty boyz.... not poor grade moor reds......

I've seen some serious stags down here in Norfolk myself :yes: and even thought f*ck that when i've me one with dog in hand :icon_redface: ,well it was a whippet x :laugh: .

Guest Leveller

That's a Hunting Life first for me, usually after I post something I get threatening pm's and fall out with half the members.........are you married? ;)

• Like 1

That's a Hunting Life first for me, usually after I post something I get threatening pm's and fall out with half the members.........are you married? ;)

:laugh::laugh: not at the min lol.........do you like fishing......... :hmm::D

There's a article in the shooting times today about coursing Red deer in Scotland with Deerhounds seems they were more than up for the job.

Shame it was banned before I was born would of been interesting to see that.

There's a article in the shooting times today about coursing Red deer in Scotland with Deerhounds seems they were more than up for the job.

might be wrong, but didnt the deerhounds just chase and keep it at bay till the hunters came to kill it .? And never killed the deer .?

• Like 1

might be wrong, but didnt the deerhounds just chase and keep it at bay till the hunters came to kill it .? And never killed the deer .?

no that was mal x :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

Some people say deerhounds and their crosses didn't do the job for them, whatever that involved, but I have to say that all the ones I've seen or owned have been more than capable of anything they were worked on, two being probably the best dogs I'm likely to see, no fuss, no drama, just extremely capable and effective animals. I know you say deerhounds and not x's, but a few on here recently have been slating deerhound x's. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't think so, alot of bringing any type on is down to how and when you perceive the time is right to enter them. No good thinking, 'right, he's a year old now let's get him going', they're all individuals and I'll start mine only when they are physically and mentally ready. People should be able to read their dogs fairly easily, but it seems not that many are able to.

Sorry for the lecture, but I'm sick of impatient muppets slating dogs, of whatever type, and passing em on as 'no bottle' 'not keen enough' etc, when it's normally their fault due to impatience and incompetence. Rant over :D

• Like 1

Some people say deerhounds and their crosses didn't do the job for them, whatever that involved, but I have to say that all the ones I've seen or owned have been more than capable of anything they were worked on, two being probably the best dogs I'm likely to see, no fuss, no drama, just extremely capable and effective animals. I know you say deerhounds and not x's, but a few on here recently have been slating deerhound x's. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't think so, alot of bringing any type on is down to how and when you perceive the time is right to enter them. No good thinking, 'right, he's a year old now let's get him going', they're all individuals and I'll start mine only when they are physically and mentally ready. People should be able to read their dogs fairly easily, but it seems not that many are able to.

Sorry for the lecture, but I'm sick of impatient muppets slating dogs, of whatever type, and passing em on as 'no bottle' 'not keen enough' etc, when it's normally their fault due to impatience and incompetence. Rant over :D

I seen deerhound xs catch red deer including stags often back late eighties/early ninetys

• Like 2

I seen deerhound xs catch red deer including stags often back late eighties/early ninetys

Toms by any chance ? ;) Dropped a few myself in early 90,s and good running as well :thumbs: Atb