Are they creatures folk see regulary ??

I have only seen say less than ten at a guess in my life...

Two on daytime rabbits which was something to witness.

one in a residential garden and the rest just darting across the road.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to set dozens of tunnel traps overs a massive area around a grouse moor. Stoat numbers were directly related to rabbit numbers, in areas with no rabbits I caught NO stoats. As areas of rabbits

i think they are regulated by prey numbers, not keepering, we had loads about here a few years back and plenty of rabbits, rabbit numbers are right down and so are the stoat numbers, works the same r

Just as a little point of curio; Did you know stoats are protected, in Eire?

Theres also no Stoats on Arran Scotland, or Foxes, plenty red deer, Seals, and three pairs of Golden Eagles.

I should get a job presenting Springwatch. :D

There are mink there though, once saw a bitch moving its young out of a stream bed in spate..........carried each one by the scruff of its neck.

I was talking to a keeper today a local chap! he recons he trapped and killed loads over the years but hasn't had any trouble the last few,

I wonder if they have been wiped out in this area due to heavy keepering, he said he would like to see a few back here.

i think they are regulated by prey numbers, not keepering, we had loads about here a few years back and plenty of rabbits, rabbit numbers are right down and so are the stoat numbers, works the same right across the animal kingdom

• Like 1

I used to set dozens of tunnel traps overs a massive area around a grouse moor. Stoat numbers were directly related to rabbit numbers, in areas with no rabbits I caught NO stoats. As areas of rabbits built up stoats came from no where. I believe weasels were more dependent on field vole numbers. Things vary in area to area but its no use trying to 'introduce' anything without looking at the wider area and looking at why they arnt there now and what affect your reintroductions would have. If there arnt any rabbits what will they eat? Grey partridge? If keepers have reduced them in your area then maybe its not the right area for them.

• Like 3

Seen quite a few last one I seen was a few hours ago. Few years ago i was going down a narrow back road and a rabbit flew out the bank about 6 feet infront of me with a stoat attatched to it, when it hit the deck the soat just hammered it. Was at the right place at the right time very lucky to see that.

i found a great spot to watch them in broxton on a fishery,i noticed it carrying a baby rabbit into a tree stump so told the lads to keep quiet it then came out the stump and back over the same route into some ferns on a bank behind us then we heard the squeals it then come out the ferns with another baby rabbit and stood looking at us holding the dead rabbit it repeated this 4 more times and we never had a camera i was gutted but i suppose the memory is just as good :yes:

we went back fishing a few weeks later and as we were getting are fishing gear out the car i noticed what i thought was a rat chasing a moorhen on a ornimental pond with coi carp in,so i climbed the fence and sneaked around the back as quiet as i could and lied down on the lawn,a blackbird started kicking off the stoat then came out the rough grass around the pond and onto lawn i was no more than 15ft away and the blackbird landed on the lawn the stoat was dancing a fgure of 8 thing and the blackbird was transfixed it seemed like an age but was probably less than a min then it struck at the bird but it got away and just went on its way

my ex wife had a pet stoat she reared as youngster, called "stoaty" very original, she eventually let it go out the back and could call it to feed it stuff , it would come out of the old wall and up her garden wall , grab the grub and back to its hole, i just wish i had a video camera at the time