Im not sure if this is going to be deleted and hope im not asking to do anything against the law so put me right if I am,

in the area where we live its a country type place and when we were young we used to see lots of stoats crossing farm tracks and paths and used to be fascinated how they travelled in a line with the parents each end and the young single file between and there funny run they have, we have spent most of our lives using ferrets and some times over the years have bolted the odd one! the last few years they seem to have vanished not one anywhere,

So im thinking would it be possible to re introduce some? has anyone on here live trapped any? if so I would be very interested in picking them up young or old and releasing them over here? any ides would be much appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to set dozens of tunnel traps overs a massive area around a grouse moor. Stoat numbers were directly related to rabbit numbers, in areas with no rabbits I caught NO stoats. As areas of rabbits

i think they are regulated by prey numbers, not keepering, we had loads about here a few years back and plenty of rabbits, rabbit numbers are right down and so are the stoat numbers, works the same r

Nothing illegal about that Main Man.....

I wish you luck with your project, but fear you will struggle to get hold of many live stoats.

Are you sure there are none locally? Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean they aren't there....

there was a dead one on the road I saw today but miles away from home, we are out a lot all hours of the day they just don't seem to be here anymore, im a real enthusiast with wild life and have 1000 s of acres of land to hunt so have noticed the fall in numbers infact the complete decline in stoats and other wildlife, mabe its the traffic that has built up? mabe pesticides im really not sure but would like to try, over the last 3 to 4 years I have persecuted magpies and have seen the rise in small birds black caps blue tits finches ect so im hopeing that is because of the birds iv killed, I had over 80 in Larsen traps in one season. so its worth a try and cheers for the reply.

What's the rabbit population like around you MM?

Everything has a knock on effect. I'm not saying rabbits are a main source of prey as stoats will happily take ground nesting birds. Or pretty much anything they can sink their teeth into. Especially a mother with hungry kits.

A decline in hedgerows and large amounts of land being turned over for crop growing has a slight impact.

Chances are they are there, your just not seeing them.

fair play, a pal of mine picked a wild dead polecat up on his travels and he has it in a freezer at work :thumbs: big thing it is :icon_eek: and stiff :thumbs:

i went shooting the other month with a him and his fert to this silly/bollox to netting all that kind of place as it was like a honeycone :yes: as we walked up to it a nice big stoat was floating about so we were going to leave the rabbits alone but its always worth ago and got 3 out :laugh: took 2 hrs mind ffs i could halve raised them quicker :thumbs:

Maybe its just me but sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees, as in 'life and circumstance sometimes changes what you pick up on' and though they may be there, you just don't see 'em as you used too, if that makes sense?

The other thing to think about is the fact that 'if' there are none what made 'em go (die out) and would the same happen as soon as you re-introduced.

If it was me, before I went to the task of sourcing trapped Stoats, I'd really check both if they are still there, and if not, what may have made 'em go and I'd betcha you'll find a few surprises along the way... Interesting critters them Stoats.. :yes:

;)

one of my life goals is to see a stoat or even a weisel, as never ever senn one. iv been told there loads of stoats at newport wetlands, not that far from glouster, theyr secret animals as you and i know too well, so they may have declined but theyr probally still there but not in the numbers that used to be ? but no mate its not illegal, good on you for trying to bring bk a well loved animal, we all like to see a stoat,id personaly love to see one lol , iv been reading about them lately, at a distance a stoat looks like a weisel, but a stoat has a black tip on its tail where a weisel doesnt, also a weisel will live for 3 years but a stoat 10 years plus a stoat is heavier and will take big rabbits and even hares where a weisel will only take small rabbits ect, if you ever come accross a dead stoat id like rto taxidermy one, atb mate with your misson, foxtails

some interesting reads cheers! there is a spot I know that's a pile of old cottswold stone where they used to live! im looking in to one of them camara things that takes snap shots if anything moves, like I have said im sure if they were there I would of seen one or two over the years.

Even some local keepers I know that used to trap them round the pheasant pens haven't seen any for some years now. I have asked them to look out and let me know, I have seen weasels shooting across the roads and in old willow trees there seems to be plentifull, my terriers chased one up a headge row with me trying to stop them shouting and screeming at them but the result was a dead weasel.

Im really pleased this thread has been looked at and added to without the usual idiots writing shit cheers

I saw one last night while out with the dogs bounding across a field like a dog in long grass lol luckily I was out with the spaniel because if I was out with the terrier it might not of made it! I still bolt them with the ferret occasionally but not as often as I once did? You can always tell there's a stoat down coz the ferrets tail flares and he starts chuckling to himself and flys down the burrow lol

Nice thread this ;)

Atb ant

I think thats going to go down well if you live near a keepered estate ,but there must be some reason there no there now as most days ferreting you bolt one .

Still see the odd one, but don't think they are as common as they used to be,

I know Keepers don't like them, and will trap as many as they can.

But ive always admired these hunters, fascinating creatures, long may the continue to hunt.