Terriers For Bushing

• 1 month later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been around a lot of cover dogs over the years. . . and seen some out standing examples, which have included terriers or various types, spaniels, and numerous different cross bred combinations.

Best bushing dog i ever owned the little russell 22 yrs ago.  

In Northern Ireland here I am using two Airedale bitches and a redline male. Great dogs. They can work confidently for hours away from me, have good recall and the bitch on the left can dispatch fox

Posted Images

Be Alright till you loose him one day in a big cover to ground seen it happen about 7 days of searching was found just about hanging on basically dead in vets, but the bet managed to save him. Dogs very lucky to still be here.

Edited by Bazil brush

I've been around a lot of cover dogs over the years. . . and seen some out standing examples, which have included terriers or various types, spaniels, and numerous different cross bred combinations. . . .

I have come to a few conclusions, at least on the land I hunt. A good driven terrier, will hunt and pressure it's quarry well, give tongue and can catch in the cover. . .and their work ethic is great. But around here, inevitably they become a liability, and it often ends badly. It's a fine balance between driven enough to do the job and driven enough to get themselves into trouble.

A bad spaniel is a waste of time, but a good one is a thing to behold. I always think that those who say that they are not good at the job, or are bettered by their terriers or their lurchers. . . . have not seen a really good spaniel or pair of spaniels being worked well. A good springer should just sweep back and fore through the cover, no matter how thick, using it's weight to push through in a steady pattern. . . . like a wind screen wiper. Nothing should be missed at all, and it's steady enough to keep up with.

However. . . there is the odd bit of cover that even a spaniel won't push through. . . . and that's where a good terriers obsessive, stubborn nature is a bonus. . . . if it's in there. . . then the dogs fecking going in! The other downside of the spaniels sometimes. . . . is the lack of yapping. . . . i mean, they will. . . . but I can't stick a yapping spaniel. . . it makes me cringe (that;s just a personal hang up).

And then you have the x breeds. . . . and I think that's where the future lies. Designer (so to speak) mutts for a certain application, I got my bitch with the idea that she would give tongue, work cover well (of various types), be too big to drop to ground but small enough to get into the places I need her to, have a good jacket, and have some basic obedience, and not mind getting stuck in. . . . etc etc.

I've seen some really handy dogs on here and in the flesh of late. . . .

Sorry for the rambling. . . .

• Like 2

My old JR had a nose like a hound watching him follow a line was a real pleasure. never forget him zig zagging backing and forward when the scent got faint until he picked it up again. If a rabbit bolted from an unetted hole the chances of him losing it were pretty dam low. He would be waiting by a hole some where waiting for me to do the job properly this time :)

Perfect bushing dog he weren't know pheasant fetcher but sure he could of turned to it I asked it of him

We use our Russell's for bushing and below and they're of a good standard at both, we ve accounted two Charlie's this week from them chasing rabbits to switching on to them we wouldn't know half the sets either if it wasn't for them an for any terrier of to roam they should have a collar on to be located just my opinion

• Like 1