Terriers For Bushing

We use our Russell's for bushing and below and they're of a good standard at both, we ve accounted two Charlie's this week from them chasing rabbits to switching on to them we wouldn't know half the sets either if it wasn't for them an for any terrier of to roam they should have a collar on to be located just my opinion

do you not get problems with the terriers digging rabbits (me personally I wouldn't use an earth dog for bushing)but each to there own mate

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been around a lot of cover dogs over the years. . . and seen some out standing examples, which have included terriers or various types, spaniels, and numerous different cross bred combinations.

Best bushing dog i ever owned the little russell 22 yrs ago.  

In Northern Ireland here I am using two Airedale bitches and a redline male. Great dogs. They can work confidently for hours away from me, have good recall and the bitch on the left can dispatch fox

Posted Images

We use our Russell's for bushing and below and they're of a good standard at both, we ve accounted two Charlie's this week from them chasing rabbits to switching on to them we wouldn't know half the sets either if it wasn't for them an for any terrier of to roam they should have a collar on to be located just my opinion

do you not get problems with the terriers digging rabbits (me personally I wouldn't use an earth dog for bushing)but each to there own mate

Mine would go to ground on a fox but not rabbits he had a enough sense to know that was a waste of time and that was what the ferrets was for. i remember once he went to ground in a rabbit bury in an old black thorn hedge. I thought this is odd very out of character but it turned out to be a charlie squeezed up tight in there. But he was bought up on ferreting so new what was what.

Guest foxpack

i had a great little bushing dog when i was younger ,bout 11 inches high all white with black patch on his eye,,would,nt miss a rabbit in cover ,would go through like a torpedo.think i paid 15 quid for him..lol,had some good days rabbiting and ratting with him,i had some good pictures ,but the ex mrs inlaw burnt all my pics when i f****d off from her evil daughter :laugh:

Best bushing dog i ever owned the little russell 22 yrs ago.

ferretingpics176_zps8d714cf6.jpg

Same time as I had mine darbo if only we could do it all again :thumbs:

Had some great times with this little dog terry nothing much got past his nose if it was in cover it was coming out. Best £25 quid i ever spent. From a ad in the exchange and mart from Widnes not too far from me. :thumbs:

Mine only 9 months now but had him out from about 4-5 months and on one of the very first mooches we were very lucky for him to put a bunny out on the very first time he actually went in, I think this has given him a great start, now I've had him in the beating line on a local shoot three or four times, has pegged a couple of birds due to the speed they move through cover much to the keepers annoyance but I'm not telling him off for that, as patterdales are tireless he works at a great pace but find on a shoot with a lot of game about you have to keep on top of him or he will go to far forward, but as for putting game out infront of my runners he does for me.

2bfe12aa364894a91974364c95de6f3d.jpg

Seems to be a common theme for ferreting dogs get them out young around the holes. No risk of over doing them as long as you don't make them walk miles. Used to carry mine on site and let him waddle around. One day thump thump under ground rabbit exploded out in front of him and from that day on ferreting was his thing.

Seems to be a common theme for ferreting dogs get them out young around the holes. No risk of over doing them as long as you don't make them walk miles. Used to carry mine on site and let him waddle around. One day thump thump under ground rabbit exploded out in front of him and from that day on ferreting was his thing.

I wont have terriers on a warren now but did have one that was a great little marker/net watcher was also handy when digging to rabbits under rocks and in awkward places.used to carry it around in my army smock in the pocket and just used to let him wonder about when the action lulled one day when he was about eight months old pulled a back netted rabbit out and dragged it to me net still intact. Few more sessions and he was a brilliant little dog to have out. Gave him to a friend who would get more use out of him and he had a good few seasons with him. Thing i find with terriers when ferreting is ive seen a few that in the heat of the moment have grabbed ferrets even killing them in some cases aswell as the fact they can drop in awkward places but given the chance id have that terrier back in a shot.

In Northern Ireland here I am using two Airedale bitches and a redline male. Great dogs. They can work confidently for hours away from me, have good recall and the bitch on the left can dispatch foxes very quickly.

They are dog friendly in the field unlike some large terrier breeds and will push through any cover.

The important thing to remember is these dogs are used to compliment harriers we run, they do not bay like hounds but only yelp constantly when on the rear end of a fox. They stand totally quiet at a hole when digging, will try to push down any hole, luckily they are too large so they never get far and when working with harriers they hunt very quickly nose to ground, or air scenting although have fantastic sight almost like a lurcher in the field.

They are not many peoples cup of tea but we would be lost without these dogs and they have earned their place in the kennels time and time again.

1456614_10153411891660487_429845013_n.jp

• Like 2