Airedale Terrier

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I really the only person that works an Airedale? I got mine from a line of imported dogs: working stock from the USA. Can't fault her: drive, nose, toughness, temperament second to none: works alon

A pure bred KC reg English Airedale will usually sell for around £800 or £900.   Most of the working dog people who got a Redline Airedale from Ian were gifted the dog. Like I said before, he wante

This is jet my bushing terrier     This is buddy Martins redline airedale

Posted Images

Cracking looking dog that skycat be nice if there was a few good working lines as everything I hear about working strain seem like great dogs turn their hand to anything intelligent with the terrier tenacity shame another once great breed ruined in this country by show people

How do you know they have been ruined unless you tried a kc,?

Someone who used to run Airedale rescue in the UK told me that she knew of a couple of KC dogs that were being used in the shooting field: as pickers up, I think. The sad fact is that virtually all show and pet Airedales in this country have had any instinct stifled: not what their owners want at all :cray: The few that I have met have been very lacking in anything resembling fire of any sort. I would love to hear of some KC Dales working, but have failed so far in my attempts ... but the Aussies use them so there must be a spark of the old instinct left in them somewhere: with proper encouragement it might burst into flames?

Personally I wouldn't risk using a KC dog over my bitch unless I had seen it out in the field actually working: too much of a risk to take with what would be the only litter I bred of pure Dales.

Or should I take that risk? What do you think? Certainly the overall conformation is better (IMO) than some of the types that turn up in the US working lines: straight stifles being one thing I'd be glad to see less of. But by how much would that brain power, thinking working instinct be dulled down? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

The fire can be present an any dog, just the chance of finding it in KC stuff... Hmmmm wouldn't take the risk. If you come across it I'd want to know everything about the actual line especially any heriditary/genetic faults present. I would personally be more afraid of bad general health that would be introduced by using a KC dog instead of the lack of drive.

To hell with KC conformation, the KC standard is there for show dogs. Not for true working animals. Maybe it's possible to find a nice dale on the continent which is being used in protection work.

Thinking in breeds and national sentiments involved in kynologie originating in the 19th century and in Western thought has eventually messed up so many dog breeds. They no longer look like the real thing, let alone act like it.

Although my own educational background is heritage/culture/history/filosphy I'm very critical to the actual concept of a breed in anything. I realise that without conformation and a certain standard you can't improve your current stock, however thinking in breeds means that you do not embrase the thought of progress so important in the beginning/creation of an actual breed but choose to remain static which does seem rediculous to me. Breeding dogs to do a job recquired at a certain time in a certain environment meeating certain standard in performance and looks. (which can and do all change)

I'd advocate the reinstatement of the working airedale type, not of the actual breed as looked upon nowadays. Using a working standard which captures the essence of what a working (type) airedale is. A type can be improved an slightly changed to meet current demands, a breed is a static creature locked in the 19th century and unfortunately in the still dominant/leading cocept/thought.

Actual improvement (progress) stops when the type is lost to the romantic concept thinking in breeds, or whe would have to change we look at the concept of breed in reinstate the working standard.

ps (not bashing the airedale!)

Just came across this: http://airedalesareafailure.wordpress.com/about/

Edited by Bossie
  • Like 5

Bossie: seen that page before. It is doing the rounds on the Airedale forums. All I can say is that in my limited experience (limited inasmuch that I only have experience with the one Airedale) mine has no reverse gear on game, and doesn't hesitate to get stuck in, whether alone or with other dogs. Of course she hasn't seen boar, coyotes etc so I can't comment on those.

There does seem to be a lot of controversy over the abilities of the Airedales in the States. Some people seem to use them alongside hounds for treeing bear, cougar etc. Others for decoying coyotes, when the dog is sent out, and called back after barking at a coyote: coyote will follow the dog back to drive it out of its territory, and then gets shot. One of the guys I read about uses his with hounds on bear, and says that the dog gets stuck in, grabbing the bear from behind. Bear either get treed or bayed on the ground and shot. Obviously it is not going to be stupid enough to go for a throat hold, and I guess that dogs worked alongside experienced dogs learn how to approach different game with different techniques.

My bitch learned about foxes with the small terriers, which don't hesitate to get stuck in if they find one by accident in cover whilst looking for rabbits. So she was shown how to deal with them at an early age. Does that make a difference? :hmm: One of my Airedale lurchers had no example to follow when she stumbled across her first fox at the age of 10 months. She knew what to do immediately.

Weasle: come and see my game one :thumbs: I like her attitude in general as she alters that attitude according to what she is hunting and retrieving. Maybe I just got lucky: would be interesting to hear more from the people who are actually working these dogs bred by Ian from his imports. They don't seem to go much on computers as they are too busy out hunting as a rule: or maybe they have the sense to keep themselves to themselves. Problem is, that without promoting a dog to fellow hunters, a line or type can die out all too quickly if the people who work them either don't breed, die or get out of the game. Trying to reinstate a dog that has become unfashionable among hunters is very difficult. People tend to stick with what they know rather than risk something new. Even when Dill has impressed on the beating line or picking up, no one has shown any interest in owning an Airedale. They seem to be more pissed off that she has found a runner where their gun dogs and spaniels failed. :blink:

Thanks skycat,Will take you up on that during the season,Would like to see it,Not the type who likes to see a dog fail,not the type to say I saw something I didn't good or bad,even with my own dogs.

When my own started skipping around I blamed the kc blood.

Then started to find threads like the ones put up.The photos always showing the dogs staying well out of harms way,even the ones put up by the owners are the same,Maybe your right and there trained that way :) .

Any way we don't always see eye to eye,but at least you don't take it to seriously,unlike a lot of the lads on here..