Is Stamina An Issue In Your Lurcher?

socks

the same way she new there was one in there in the first place, the same way she would crown the old hob on a kill, sometimes 20 yards into a field 3ft down, the same way she new i was on my way home from work even though i worked 20 mile away. hearing is but one sense

The reason she knew there was one in there is because the warren smelt of rabbits ...The reason she knew the hob had killed out in the field is because she could hear it mate .... The dog doesn't walk around over the warren smelling through the ground to locate the rabbit ... It does it through listening ...........

what about terriers what try holes ,............they ignore most of them on big places and then always enter the one and find straight away........surely must be the same for lurchers? ( when there marking big warrens )

I personally think its a combination of sound and smell

I am not talking about the initial mark I am talking about a warren with multiple holes and the ferrets are moving the rabbits around and the dog is waiting for the bolt and pinpoints the exact hole its coming out of ...........

ive caught millions of rabbits from johno groats to lands end and your telling me that when bolting rabbits with a pug that a dog only realies on sound,...........sound and scent are combined and maybe the initial sound may tell the dog where the action is but the stronger the scent will confirm what is coming..........you must remember its my job ,.....a way of life ........this aint fun no more ,.........if I fail I don't eat

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .............

:laugh: pmsl .......I always know where there coming out because me dog is always up the opposite end....... :laugh:

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collies and salukis are the main stamina dogs but both breeds have different types of slow and and fast twitch muscle fibres which work differently and utilise the oxygen in the body differently ... T

Sometimes a trip to the Dales, the Fells or some other well stocked area, can leave an indelible mark upon a man,.and his dog   I'm not a lamping man these days,.but I once was ....   We used to

Ive seen good dogs soon go backwards when faced with run after run on Dales bunnys,fit strong dogs at that,a few months down the line with several more visits the same dogs are better suited to the ri

Concentration deserves its own thread..

Stamina...we all need a bit more. . . I know I do.. the minds willing but the body is weak..lol.

Great thread lads..and even better for not turning it into a slanging match.

I've just popped in not read all the thread, in winter mate, run the stuff most of us do and a dog way no winds like a condom way holes in it.. mate that's my oppinion like, we all have different views though and different breed of dogs for our own use, cheers.

Defo think it's possible to increase the stamina in the dog but as Socks said different dog breeds have different anatomical features that give them an edge. Seen different breeds go from slags to athletes just by pushing them that little bit harder each day but there is always a ceiling.

if it's windy 4 -5 nights in a row you need to use them ,no point thinking ah poor reg ran 8 rabbits last night and giving him a day off.

No one mentioned the fact of terrain if a dogs used to running flat land,it might have a shock when running up and down dales?

Don't think a dog can smell through 2-3-4 foot of soil,When a dog marks it stands at the holes,if it could smell through the ground it would mark individual rabbits from above. They defiantly cannot smell when your on your way home.

Edited by weasle

if it's windy 4 -5 nights in a row you need to use them ,no point thinking ah poor reg ran 8 rabbits last night and giving him a day off.

No one mentioned the fact of terrain if a dogs used to running flat land,it might have a shock when running up and down dales?

Don't think a dog can smell through 2-3-4 foot of soil,When a dog marks it stands at the holes,if it could smell through the ground it would mark individual rabbits from above. They defiantly cannot smell when your on your way home.

i dont believe they could smell,hear or see over a distance of 20 miles but that little bitch always let my mrs know i was on the way home :laugh: is it easier to hear through 3 foot of soil than it is to smell :hmm:

Yes put your ear to ground you can hear a ferret scratching at a rabbit.

Here's a experiment for you bury some rabbit guts a foot under ground(I will give you some if you want):)

If your dogs are like mine they will dig them straight out as will foxes,Next day bury them 3 foot they won't even scrape the soil neither will the foxes,because they cannot smell them.

Here's a experiment for you bury some rabbit guts a foot under ground(I will give you some if you want) :)

If your dogs are like mine they will dig them straight out as will foxes,Next day bury them 3 foot they won't even scrape the soil neither will the foxes,because they cannot smell them.

so how can blood hounds follow scent that's maybe a fortnight old for miles and miles? sometimes for days as in a few cases in the USA. i do believe there's a lot we don't understand about scent or the way a dog uses it senses

To be honest simo mine won't do that either till after a good few weeks of going up there regular,,, to catch 40 rabbits the dog has catch 20,s,, then get on up the 30,s ect,,,

You never know Simmo, give the dogs a few month at the lower numbers it may suprise you

Bang on and good advice. IMO any average rabbit dog can easily have its stamina built up to bag 30s with frequent trips to well populated area's.

socks

the same way she new there was one in there in the first place, the same way she would crown the old hob on a kill, sometimes 20 yards into a field 3ft down, the same way she new i was on my way home from work even though i worked 20 mile away. hearing is but one sense

The reason she knew there was one in there is because the warren smelt of rabbits ...The reason she knew the hob had killed out in the field is because she could hear it mate .... The dog doesn't walk around over the warren smelling through the ground to locate the rabbit ... It does it through listening ...........

what about terriers what try holes ,............they ignore most of them on big places and then always enter the one and find straight away........surely must be the same for lurchers? ( when there marking big warrens )

I personally think its a combination of sound and smell

I am not talking about the initial mark I am talking about a warren with multiple holes and the ferrets are moving the rabbits around and the dog is waiting for the bolt and pinpoints the exact hole its coming out of ...........

ive caught millions of rabbits from johno groats to lands end and your telling me that when bolting rabbits with a pug that a dog only realies on sound,...........sound and scent are combined and maybe the initial sound may tell the dog where the action is but the stronger the scent will confirm what is coming..........you must remember its my job ,.....a way of life ........this aint fun no more ,.........if I fail I don't eat

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .............

:laugh: pmsl .......I always know where there coming out because me dog is always up the opposite end....... :laugh:

Your dogs in the right place mate, you are just doing it all back to front :thumbs::yes:

night shifts done, just catching up again,

surely it's a combination of a lot of factors, breeding / genetics must come into it how many of the top lampers have collie blood?

conditioning to get the best out of the dog, no point in having a dog with all the right traits and breeding etc only to let it down by overrunning it or running it unfit.

surprised feeding hasn't been mentioned more, you can't expect a dog to run hard and feed it rubbish, we've got to modify the diet according to workload, also different dogs have different metabolisms, some thrive on 3 or 4 hard nights a week and can convert their feed better

schooling / bringing a young dog on gradually with lots of self confidence will imo help with the mental strength needed

handler experience, choosing the venue to suit the weather / dog, picking runs, timing a break, knowing your dog etc can bring out more stamina / desire, if your out for a night and a bag of bunnies its pointless giving the dog a few hard testing runs early on

When out ferreting/rabbiting/lamping even on permissions without large numbers, wouldn't you want you dog to be physically able to catch big numbers? I think a dog that can handle big numbers physcially/stamina wise will be a lot better and recover faster when he just has to take small numbers.

A dog capable of 30 runs on the lamp or during the day will be faster/better/more capable on just 10-15 runs compared to a dog that can only handle 10-15 runs and actually does these 10-15 runs.

Just like others said, maximum performance is paramount and as an owner it's your responsibility to help your dog achieve this. However, there are breed/cross specific limits which you should never forget. Some breeds/crosses will just be more of an endurance athlete, others sprinters.

I also think that food is very important. You are what you eat. Can't expect top performance with eating fish and chips every day.

The thread started with the question: "Is stamina an issue in your lurcher?"

Well, stamina will only be an issue if your lurcher doesn't have enough of it.

Edited by Bossie

Here's a experiment for you bury some rabbit guts a foot under ground(I will give you some if you want) :)

so how can blood hounds follow scent that's maybe a fortnight old for miles and miles? sometimes for days as in a few cases in the USA. i do believe there's a lot we don't understand about scent or the way a dog uses it senses

just to throw one in on scent how deep can a search and rescue dog locate using scent ?

Because a blood hound is ground scenting mid scenting and air scenting ... Meaning the dog is picking up traces of footfall scent scent left on bushes etc and dependant on the conditions will depend how long these scents last ... In a hot and dry environment the scent will dicsipate far quicker than on a damp cold day .............

just to throw one in on scent how deep can a search and rescue dog locate using scent ?

I don't know how deep they can scent but they are searching for the odour of 1 human which is different than pinpointing a moving rabbit 3 or 4 foot underground ...........

• Like 1