Is Stamina An Issue In Your Lurcher?

Just wondered if stamina is an important ingredient in your rabbiting dog's? I'm not talking about hare dogs, just bunnies. Personally i'm lucky if my dogs run a dozen in a night before i'm off home, we just don't have big numbers on my permission but when I visited the Dales with Tomo I was in awe of the vast numbers and I can say without a hint of embarrassment that i called it quits for my tyke whilst Tomos bitch was still filling the game bag. I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs.

If I was running an area like the dales or other rabbit infested areas I would put stamina high of the list of desired attributes but as I rarely venture into such lagamorph ridden nirvana's it has never been as issue.

Does stamina play a role in your desired rabbiting dogs genetic make up? And I mean physical stamina, not mental stamina which I think is very different.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collies and salukis are the main stamina dogs but both breeds have different types of slow and and fast twitch muscle fibres which work differently and utilise the oxygen in the body differently ... T

Sometimes a trip to the Dales, the Fells or some other well stocked area, can leave an indelible mark upon a man,.and his dog   I'm not a lamping man these days,.but I once was ....   We used to

Ive seen good dogs soon go backwards when faced with run after run on Dales bunnys,fit strong dogs at that,a few months down the line with several more visits the same dogs are better suited to the ri

Just wondered if stamina is an important ingredient in your rabbiting dog's? I'm not talking about hare dogs, just bunnies. Personally i'm lucky if my dogs run a dozen in a night before i'm off home, we just don't have big numbers on my permission but when I visited the Dales with Tomo I was in awe of the vast numbers and I can say without a hint of embarrassment that i called it quits for my tyke whilst Tomos bitch was still filling the game bag. I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs.

If I was running an area like the dales or other rabbit infested areas I would put stamina high of the list of desired attributes but as I rarely venture into such lagamorph ridden nirvana's it has never been as issue.

Does stamina play a role in your desired rabbiting dogs genetic make up? And I mean physical stamina, not mental stamina which I think is very different.

not an answer to your question but mental stamina without physical stamina is a recipe for disaster :yes:

We got plenty of rabbits here and a good mate of mine does a lot of lamping running 2 litter sisters collie greyhound put to my old whippet dog he ll run them hard when moons down etc and take 30 rabbits a piece with them not massive bags but his dogs are kept sharp and fit but do have a quick recovery rate forgot to add would be out most nights while moons down maybe 3 nights on bounce etc atb taffey

not an answer to your question but mental stamina without physical stamina is a recipe for disaster :yes:

But is it Paul? What about a ferreting dog that needs mental stamina to concentrate on a warren for extended periods of time but may not be required to use physical stamina as there may not be many bolters that aren't caught in the nets?

But is it Paul? What about a ferreting dog that needs mental stamina to concentrate on a warren for extended periods of time but may not be required to use physical stamina as there may not be many bolters that aren't caught in the nets?

thats concentration :laugh: i would say mental stamina without physical stamina can take a dog past it limits

thats concentration :laugh: i would say mental stamina without physical stamina can take a dog past it limits

I would say concentration IS mental stamina

i would say an exceptional nose would be better than concentration when ferreting :laugh:

i would say an exceptional nose would be better than concentration when ferreting :laugh:

Then you would be very wrong my old china ...........

• Like 2

For me we need stam in our mutts sum nites we have 40 + runs n catch say 30 then run a few big uns to finish the nite. Sum nite we out 10hr takes alot for a dog to walk let alone run all nite. As said I want mental as well as physical stam but they dnt just get I sat on the sofa or in kennel

Then you would be very wrong my old china ...........

without a nose how would it know what holes to concentrate on ?