New Season In France

I would imagine the french have got too much respect for the quarry to use such a dog......

did you not write a book on the strong dogs of ireland ?

No, my company published a book of historical photos. I personally do not need, or agree, that there is a place for 'draw dogs' in today's terrierwork. I just don't. But, like I say, that's just my personal opinion.

I agree that strongdogs in the wrong hands can be bad for terrierwork in todays day and age, but i wouldnt say using a strong dog means you have any less respect for the quarry you hunt and i stress that im talking about sensible geniune dog men not macho men standing at a dig with a pair of runners and a staff

Whats the difference?

• Like 1

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

I would imagine the french have got too much respect for the quarry to use such a dog......

No, my company published a book of historical photos. I personally do not need, or agree, that there is a place for 'draw dogs' in today's terrierwork. I just don't. But, like I say, that's just my personal opinion.

I agree that strongdogs in the wrong hands can be bad for terrierwork in todays day and age, but i wouldnt say using a strong dog means you have any less respect for the quarry you hunt and i stress that im talking about sensible geniune dog men not macho men standing at a dig with a pair of runners and a staff

Whats the difference?

trainers or not, your still doing the same. Its an unnecessary thing i dont get and it shouldnt be involved with terrier work imo.

Whats the difference?

trainers or not, your still doing the same. Its an unnecessary thing i dont get and it shouldnt be involved with terrier work imo.

conducted in the right manner there is not a thing wrong with it ? but usually that stereotype of the airmax runners brigade conduct in wrong manner and bring a bad image to it..

Whats the difference?

conducted in the right manner there is not a thing wrong with it ? but usually that stereotype of the airmax runners brigade conduct in wrong manner and bring a bad image to it..
What's the right manner? How is it different from the wrong manner?
  • Like 1

Everybody should be able to hunt with whatever dog they choose, never mind agreeing with all these anti policies, strong dogs should never be sacrificed to keep the anti scum. Happy. People fancy strong dogs, some fancy lurchers, some fancy just pure earth dogs and some bushing dogs, such a diversity of types all for types of jobs. Let's face it they're not Gona ban a top class gun dog because it's excellent at its job. Keep the strong dogs alive.

• Like 4

Of all the countries on mainland Europe Holland probably had the most strongdog fanciers, look where that got them !!!

The problem with the strongdog in the last few years is that it attracted the idiot and his camera. IMO the strongdog in the field should be confined to the history books.

The same is happening today with the idiots putting photos of foxes and lurchers up on facebook for their own false egos. They'll ruin it for everyone.

Fair play to you Blaise, your photos and stories not only show proper terrier work at it's purest but also the traditions, the people and the whole way of life.

Long may it continue for you and hopefully it wont be ruined for you's by the type of idiots who ruined it for us.

• Like 8

Of all the countries on mainland Europe Holland probably had the most strongdog fanciers, look where that got them !!!

The problem with the strongdog in the last few years is that it attracted the idiot and his camera. IMO the strongdog in the field should be confined to the history books.

The same is happening today with the idiots putting photos of foxes and lurchers up on facebook for their own false egos. They'll ruin it for everyone.

Fair play to you Blaise, your photos and stories not only show proper terrier work at it's purest but also the traditions, the people and the whole way of life.

Long may it continue for you and hopefully it wont be ruined for you's by the type of idiots who ruined it for us.

I do agree with you about the modern idiots who have a cock measuring contest, on Facebook, but without strong dog workers the breeds would end up on crufts or extinct. Neither are good options
  • Like 1

Divining works on finding water and if it works in a digging scenario it must be the water in an animals body that makes it work.

The rods can be made from two wire coat hangers straightened out and then the last few inches bent to a 90 degree angle for each hand.

Held loosely they'll cross when over water. Anyone can do it, try it over a glass of water sitting on the floor.

What's more amazing is the true Diviners tool. It's a hazel Y cut about 18 inches long and when holding the two forks the straight part bends to the underground water. It takes practice and has to be seen to be believed.

With practice some lads can tell the depth of the water course but in the terrier game i'd have to see it to believe it.

Maybe underground water or moisture in the soil isn't as big a factor in France but here I couldn't rely on it to find a terrier.

I wouldn't even chance it.

Try it !

To begin, Find a drain pipe in your floor with two rods or outside in the ground.

it works for sure. ive seen it used by a cpl of old school workers on the gas to locate sewers, gas main, water main etc. pretty much any kind of void in the ground. never thought of it being used in this kind if work though lol