New Season In France

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

When you dug on the dog and the badger don't want come out by himself, wait a time. Be patient, you've warm, it's probably time to drink a glass of white wine.

If badger still in the hole when the bottle is empty, don't uncork another one. It's time to dig another hole on the badger.

• Like 8

I would imagine the french have got too much respect for the quarry to use such a dog......

.....& probably one of many reasons why they can still dig legally today.....

That was the reason for my question. I remember someone (possibly Liam Delany) saying that the countries which do not have a tradition of draw dogs (Norway, France, Germany, Hungary etc) are still able to legally dig badger today. Where as those countries which have previously used draw dogs (UK, Ireland) are now not able to dig badger at all.

It is the correlation between the use of draw dogs and the subsequent banning of badger digging which I was interested in exploring. I was seeking confirmation of the situation in France. Perhaps the use of badger digging data from such countries could be used to assist in making badger digging legal in the UK again? It would certainly help with the TB situation. As Blaise has said, France is certified TB free.

• Like 2

I would imagine the french have got too much respect for the quarry to use such a dog......

.....& probably one of many reasons why they can still dig legally today.....

That was the reason for my question. I remember someone (possibly Liam Delany) saying that the countries which do not have a tradition of draw dogs (Norway, France, Germany, Hungary etc) are still able to legally dig badger today. Where as those countries which have previously used draw dogs (UK, Ireland) are now not able to dig badger at all.

It is the correlation between the use of draw dogs and the subsequent banning of badger digging which I was interested in exploring. I was seeking confirmation of the situation in France. Perhaps the use of badger digging data from such countries could be used to assist in making badger digging legal in the UK again? It would certainly help with the TB situation. As Blaise has said, France is certified TB free.

I've thought the same, but didn't know for sure......the little experience I have had digging on the continent, gave me the impression it wasn't part of the culture here.....that kind of shite in the public eye, doesn't do anyone any good involved in terrier work IMO....

what are the two metal pins crossing eachother used for in the video blaise? great pics and vid btw :thumbs:

There divining rods mate.....old way of finding water, minerals etc....I have heard of men using them in pre-locator days, to find terriers....

• Like 2

I've 4 jack russell, 2 little size and 2 parson type, from 3 different lines.
The best one's the little bitch on the pic. Too hard to hunt foxs but very involved with badgers. Unfortunately, she don't pass the qualities to its progeny, we tried twice.
My jacks vs my patts... Jacks are perhaps quicker, Patterdales are able to hunt longer. My Jacks are sometimes inconstant and my Patts lack a bit voice. Here the voice is very important because we hunt without collar.
But I'm very happy with these two breed, Some are marvelous workers.

very refreshing to hear the truth spoke about terriers like this on the hunting life.for a change...no spoofing, or bragging just honesty !

• Like 5