New Season In France

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

well blaize hows the hunting going? getting the dogs ready for the new season over here good luck

Very good hunting season. Healthy badgers, dogs are workers, good guys. Some little dens and few huge terriers. Happy.
We have done 22 hunt days since the beginning of the season. We'll go 5 days more in september, 3 or 4 days during the winter and the end at the 15th of january.
  • Like 2

well blaize hows the hunting going? getting the dogs ready for the new season over here good luck

Very good hunting season. Healthy badgers, dogs are workers, good guys. Some little dens and few huge terriers. Happy.
We have done 22 hunt days since the beginning of the season. We'll go 5 days more in september, 3 or 4 days during the winter and the end at the 15th of january.

alls good then? good luck

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

what is the meaning of the horn blowing blaise? fantastic pics and write ups, it all looks 100% professional the best way to promote terrier work, keep up the good work friend :thumbs:

The use of the horn is a strong tradition in french venerie (hunting with dogs).

Each animal has his own hunting fanfare, each hunting action has his own hunting fanfare. Some great places, villages, forests have their fanfare, some men or women have a fanfare.

A good "sonneur" is able to know few hundred of fanfares. They can tell a story or describe the hunt with the succession of fanfares.

Examples : débuché (the animal leaves forest for field), rembuché (it leaves field for forest), passer l'eau en barque (you have to take a boat to cross a river or lake), l'hallali sur pieds (the end if animal's on feet), hallali par terre (the end when the animal lies down)...

Terriermen don't use horn during the hunt. They use it before and after.

Most of the fanfares have a related song. Some have two songs, a traditionnal and a bawdy.

• Like 1

Soon the ADD meeting (ADD means association of Terriermen).

By the past it was a kind of championship. Nowadays it's an annual meeting between badger's hunters. Some judges look at the way we hunt and the work of our dogs (three dogs / team).

The aim isn't to catch faster nor to catch a lot of animals.

The aim is to hunt the right way, traditional spirit, respect of the dog, respect of the quarry.

I'll try to report here. There'll

• Like 3

I think something's are just best left alone......over exposure is not always the best recipe for longevity....

Accip74, That's an important question. In french we have a proverb like this "to live happy, live hidden". True or false ? This is a permanent debate among french hunting organisations.

The hate of anti is so strong, they will do everything to kill you, even hidden. It's a matter of religion for them.

If you don't show who you are, what you do in a fair way, anti will stay free to tell awful and stupid arguments.

If I just want hunt for few seasons for my old days, I can stay hidden.

If I want my sons could teach to my grandchildren - and further more - how to hunt badgers with dogs, I have to earn and keep a place in the sun today.

And to hunt in such public exposure, you are obliged to choose clean practises.

• Like 8