Small Lurchers On Deer Pre Ban !!!!

ive just been thinking about how things have changed i remember my dad telling me storys of only small lurchers knocking over fallow and roe over and the dogs only being from about 20 to 25 inch dogs and please remember this was all before the bull cross sence soo what im saying what is your lads views on small lurchers on deer and any pictures of the dogs

thank you for your time

atb

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed   I consider a small dog 18/22 with a sma

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............ no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back leg

Posted Images

Getting in quick to help your dog was always the done thing, no matter how big or what cross/type your dog was. And as has been mentioned, saw a few whip/collie/grey types that were very good.

• Like 1

Getting in quick to help your dog was always the done thing, no matter how big or what cross/type your dog was. And as has been mentioned, saw a few whip/collie/grey types that were very good.

Not fully with you on this one, fallow upwards then yes but most dogs pre-ban should have the job done by the time you get there, you get a few which don't get the hang of it and it turns into a screaming wrestling match but most of them seem to have a natural instinct to grab the right place and hold on, used to occasionally get a bit of damage from the front hooves if they ended up in a prone position, historically speaking of course.

• Like 2

Not saying this to get anyones back up or be big headed, but 2 of the best dogs that I've seen on deer were my old dog at 26" tts, hancocks taffy was his sire to a mongrelly bred but very greyhoundy bitch, and my mates old dog 24.5 " tts whip/grey x collie/grey back to a whip/grey, no bull blood at all in either of em, good days, or rather nights then :thumbs:

Not fully with you on this one, fallow upwards then yes but most dogs pre-ban should have the job done by the time you get there, you get a few which don't get the hang of it and it turns into a screaming wrestling match but most of them seem to have a natural instinct to grab the right place and hold on, used to occasionally get a bit of damage from the front hooves if they ended up in a prone position, historically speaking of course.

Yep, just saying that's how we used to go about it, in quick to help the dog. Never ran anything bigger than

fallow back then and roe weren't that common then.

Edited to add, roe weren't common where we used to go then. :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

I had a collie/grey x 25" and she could handle deer no problem I wish I had her now :yes:

should think so at that hieght smallest ive heard of was 2o tts just roe was always banned in scotland since ive been into the dogs so never done it

use to hear back in the days that a coursed killed deer was better eating (as the blood flew out of him with his Adrenalin going before caught and bled) never eating one that was coursed and killled as ours are all stalked,,,,,, :yes: has anybody on here tasted the difference from a shot one and coursed one or is it all a myth?? :laugh: