Genetics is a complicated subject, take Greyhounds the top racers winners of classics get put to the top brood bitches, not all produce, same with horses, yet you see top Greyhound brood bitches that produce open racers in all litters to to different Sires.

I know Irish breeders will breed from a bitch that say has to be retired from injury very early in its career, and has won nothing, as long as the bloodlines are good, and comes from a line of good dogs.

Excuse me for bringing in greyhounds to the subject, i realize this is a terrier discussion.

This is the point I made, I know the subject is terrier work and not greyhounds, whippets or racehorses, and the work is different, but the principles and breeding ethics etc are much the same. :thumbs:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best workers ain't always the best producers

Nothing in the breeding of working terriers should ever be "theoretical". It should always be down to hard work. This theory that the right genes are in place is one of the reasons that there's so mu

fat man, you could never of said some thing that I disagree with so much ! I will explain it in away that some new lads to the sport will understand, as those in the game for many a year will understa

Posted Images

Regarding freaks or good breeding Dealer ?

If a good dog is put to a good bitch and there's 6 or 7 in the litter and the pups are all put in the hands of good dogmen (very important) and only one makes a high standard as a worker. Can you say that that breeding "clicked" ?

If most of the litter reaches that high standard then that answers that question for you. You know the breeding's worked.

It's not unheard of for two useless parents to produce a good one.

Should such a dog be bred from, a brilliant worker from useless parents ?

In fact some of the peddlers work on the theory that if you breed enough some of them will have to work.

If I was to use someone elses dog across one of my bitches for that dog to be a good worker is not enough. Were his brothers and sisters also good ?

Were his parents as good ?

If his father was still alive, maybe he's the stud to use.

Is the owner of the dog telling you the truth or will you be able to see the proof with your own two eyes.

Everyone knows the terrier game is full of bullshitters but yet some lads will still stand at a show or such and listen to some fellow boast about his terriers and then bring their bitch to his dog.

Breeding is all about putting the best to the best and hoping for the best.

Wether it's terriers, bulldogs, greyhounds, racehorses or gamefowl what's needed after selecting your idea of the ideal parents is for the breeding to "click".

When it does click then you could have something special.

It's no accident that breeders who always seem to produce excellence year after year know what breeding will work before the bitch is brought to the dog.

• Like 1

Right lads I asked my father hes thoughts on the question , now my father has keep mainly gamefowl all hes life and although different a lot of the same applies. He said he wouldn't breed from anything that was no good it was culled,and yes he has breed from something that was average but of the right blood line and has only ever produced average or useless ! Hes also breed from real good uns and still produced shite lol! He said what your looking for is what he tearmed a " Nugget pairing " ie good uns that produces quality and keeps on producing !! He said just before I left " a nugget pairing is very hard to find and will only be found by using quality!! mind you that's just hes opinion lol

• Like 2

Regarding freaks or good breeding Dealer ?

If a good dog is put to a good bitch and there's 6 or 7 in the litter and the pups are all put in the hands of good dogmen (very important) and only one makes a high standard as a worker. Can you say that that breeding "clicked" ?

If most of the litter reaches that high standard then that answers that question for you. You know the breeding's worked.

It's not unheard of for two useless parents to produce a good one.

Should such a dog be bred from, a brilliant worker from useless parents ?

In fact some of the peddlers work on the theory that if you breed enough some of them will have to work.

If I was to use someone elses dog across one of my bitches for that dog to be a good worker is not enough. Were his brothers and sisters also good ?

Were his parents as good ?

If his father was still alive, maybe he's the stud to use.

Is the owner of the dog telling you the truth or will you be able to see the proof with your own two eyes.

Everyone knows the terrier game is full of bullshitters but yet some lads will still stand at a show or such and listen to some fellow boast about his terriers and then bring their bitch to his dog.

Breeding is all about putting the best to the best and hoping for the best.

Wether it's terriers, bulldogs, greyhounds, racehorses or gamefowl what's needed after selecting your idea of the ideal parents is for the breeding to "click".

When it does click then you could have something special.

It's no accident that breeders who always seem to produce excellence year after year know what breeding will work before the bitch is brought to the dog.

thanks for the reply to my post , neil , a lot of truth in what you posted alright.

If a bitch "throws the towel in" she should "never" be bred from no matter how good the bloodlines are, :nono:

If the line she is from, are good digging dog's, over generation's, they have got that way by "culling" sub-standard stock and certainly not breeding from it :nono:

and let's face it, if the only bitch left out of the bloodline is a "quitter" to breed from then the line is lost anyway

that's not true some of the best dog lines came from dogs that quit, history has proven that :yes:

• Like 2

Right lads I asked my father hes thoughts on the question , now my father has keep mainly gamefowl all hes life and although different a lot of the same applies. He said he wouldn't breed from anything that was no good it was culled,and yes he has breed from something that was average but of the right blood line and has only ever produced average or useless ! Hes also breed from real good uns and still produced shite lol! He said what your looking for is what he tearmed a " Nugget pairing " ie good uns that produces quality and keeps on producing !! He said just before I left " a nugget pairing is very hard to find and will only be found by using quality!! mind you that's just hes opinion lol

marshman your father talks a lot of sense, and over the years I have done just what your father has done,i bred off the average because they came from top class lines / workers, and there sire / dam were no longer around, I have come across a nugget pairing a few times and back then I had not got the room to repeat those mating's as I bred for my own use, I been to game fowl shows, and any thing that concerns gameness in an animal I have mixed with people from all over the world at these shows, and most have said they done just like what your father has or had done, ( like myself) if you don't have your ups and downs in this terrier game, then I guess you have not done much to be honest ,( p.i.k.e.y) using a shared computer.

• Like 1

marshman your father talks a lot of sense, and over the years I have done just what your father has done,i bred off the average because they came from top class lines / workers, and there sire / dam were no longer around, I have come across a nugget pairing a few times and back then I had not got the room to repeat those mating's as I bred for my own use, I been to game fowl shows, and any thing that concerns gameness in an animal I have mixed with people from all over the world at these shows, and most have said they done just like what your father has or had done, ( like myself) if you don't have your ups and downs in this terrier game, then I guess you have not done much to be honest ,( p.i.k.e.y) using a shared computer.
good post bud

there has been some real good replies on this topic-from men who are speaking through experiance by the sounds of it-good thread marshman :thumbs: it seems that everyone has a theory on how to produce the best-but no one way is garenteed-looks like you have to be honest with yourself and just keep testing the dogs to the max :thumbs:

If a bitch "throws the towel in" she should "never" be bred from no matter how good the bloodlines are, :nono:

If the line she is from, are good digging dog's, over generation's, they have got that way by "culling" sub-standard stock and certainly not breeding from it :nono:

and let's face it, if the only bitch left out of the bloodline is a "quitter" to breed from then the line is lost anyway

that's not true some of the best dog lines came from dogs that quit, history has proven that :yes:

Well, each to there own i suppose, but i wouldnt entertain breeding off a quitter personally :icon_eek:

cheer's stando!!!!

Some say they would not breed of a non worker,myself included,but just say you have a dog or bitch with well proven blood lines and when they are about 5-6 year old and have done everything you have asked off them you then want to have a litter of them to keep the line going.Then say the bitch has we will say 6 pups all doing well and the diging season kicks in again.Now you take your proven dog and bitch out when season starts and BANG one of them don't want to know,let it be the dog or the bitch 1 has thrown in the towel,you try it again and same result not interested,but you still have 6 pups from this mating spread out between you and your mates,do you bring them on to adults or cull,would you call the 1 that jibbed a quitter,or say she or he had done enough over the previous 6 year to make up for it quitting.I think myself and this is my opinion that any terrier that is worked and worked hard are only as good as there last dig.

Some say they would not breed of a non worker,myself included,but just say you have a dog or bitch with well proven blood lines and when they are about 5-6 year old and have done everything you have asked off them you then want to have a litter of them to keep the line going.Then say the bitch has we will say 6 pups all doing well and the diging season kicks in again.Now you take your proven dog and bitch out when season starts and BANG one of them don't want to know,let it be the dog or the bitch 1 has thrown in the towel,you try it again and same result not interested,but you still have 6 pups from this mating spread out between you and your mates,do you bring them on to adults or cull,would you call the 1 that jibbed a quitter,or say she or he had done enough over the previous 6 year to make up for it quitting.I think myself and this is my opinion that any terrier that is worked and worked hard are only as good as there last dig.

so you say that a terrier that as done 5 or 6 years hard work then jibbeds ant no good for breeding from :hmm:

so you say that a terrier that as done 5 or 6 years hard work then jibbeds ant no good for breeding from :hmm:

No I asked would they rear the pups to adults or cull,the said terrier has already been bred from but has jibbed.