• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best workers ain't always the best producers

Nothing in the breeding of working terriers should ever be "theoretical". It should always be down to hard work. This theory that the right genes are in place is one of the reasons that there's so mu

fat man, you could never of said some thing that I disagree with so much ! I will explain it in away that some new lads to the sport will understand, as those in the game for many a year will understa

Posted Images

Typical Stevens trick and most of folks who have his stuff and they wonder why the litters don't throw very well you might get away with it once or twice but keep doing it and you'll flood your line with shite bitches. Typical Stevens trick that worked for him but now it's being done again and again won't be long till they've got nothing left

I agree It shouldn't be done again and again, but when your backs against the wall it maybe the right thing/only thing to do. :victory:

if they only for you then you do what you need to do ;) but dont agree with passing them of as out of grafters-thats a cnuts trick :thumbs: imho

• Like 2

Good dog over good bitch. Job done. :thumbs:

Feck the lines, breeders, reputatations.

You've got to know a good animal though. Plenty don't. :cray:

Cheers, D.

At what stage of the dogs life can these gifted people spot the "good animal"One things for sure,picking good ones from pups is impossible. If you dont mind me saying so.Your attitude is the reason there are so many failed terriers around. Gambling can pay out but most of the time it doesnt.

Cheers, D.

sorry dont agree completly

in parts i do and i think i know what you mean

but if it would be soo easy everyone could breed good dogs!

Cheers, D.

At what stage of the dogs life can these gifted people spot the "good animal"One things for sure,picking good ones from pups is impossible. If you dont mind me saying so.Your attitude is the reason there are so many failed terriers around. Gambling can pay out but most of the time it doesnt.

i think what a realy good dog WAS you know when he is gone.

i saw great dogs till they where 6-7 years out of nothing they stoped and nothing could make them work again!

is that a good dog or not?

other dogs start working with 8-9-10 month but they are burntout or died with 3 to 6 years!

are they great?

i saw owner wich where to weak to dig 3 day after each other but they expected from the dog to work everyday doesn´t metter how hard the hunt the day befor was.

i think dogs have like we all good and bad days! and what you think is good dont has to be good for me and the other way around!

• Like 1

i think its b but can i ask the audiance .......... should it be an option the failed dog should`nt be around ;) ---- a fair few of the bigger breeders bitchs never saw the outside of a kennel never mind work ..... with any breed off animal i always believe if its in the blood it will come out ...

• Like 1

i know a "hunting" patterdale breeder who dont hunt them. because they maybe need vet afterwards and that cost $$$

or maybe he will loose the dog on hunt that also cost alot of $$$

dollar.gif

but he is smart to not loose the huntingstyle he buy from famouse breeders/terrierman studdogs who are worked from them allready!

that way he can sale the pups as workingline pups without lieing.

post-80137-0-54315900-1368696471.gif

Edited by bitchie

if i had a line of quality Lurchers, and lost the line, and knew of a litter bitch that had been kept as a pet, and if the owner would let me, i would have no hesitation in taking her to a really good stud dog.

the important thing would be, if you had surplus pups, to make sure, you were 100% honest in your advertising.

• Like 2

the important thing would be, if you had surplus pups, to make sure, you were 100% honest in your advertising.

or cull and take the chance with the ones you`d kept for yourself -------------------if your unsure would selling on be an option ?

Cheers, D.

If you've seen a dog work well for a couple of seasons, ditto a bitch and they are bred you have as much chance of getting a decent litter as if you just bred a couple of half decent dogs from "reknowned" lines.

Breeding any litter is a gamble, mating two decent terriers together reduces the chances of the litter failing IMO.

Once the pups are born it is then down to the owner to "make" that terrier. I would suggest that the reason there are so

many failed terriers about is not down to my attitude, it's the people who breed shit, more importantly the people who sell shit and the people who have terriers and wouldn't know a good dog if it bit them on the arse.

Good terrier men breed when the time is coming for them to need a pup, not for money.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

Cheers, D.

I be very interested to find out did you read this advise, are you giving out this advise, have you done any of this advise in your post that I quote,. if you have done it and its your own advise can you post up pictures of the success you have had with good dog over good bitch job done please.

No, and I'm a gambling man.

As a pup is growing up on my yard I spend a lot of time every day with it and always look at it with optimism and hope it will do it's parents proud.

I couldn't spend 14 or 16 months looking at a pup and say to myself "I know your mother was useless, but hopefully you'll turn out alright."

And even if the pup did make the grade the fact that a useless terrier was bred from it will crop up at some stage, even after a few generations.

This is one of the reasons I believe that to breed from a good, honest worker is not enough.

IMO the potential brood or stud has to have come from a good litter, ie. it's siblings were also good workers.

If , say, in a litter of six, five are useless but one of them makes a top class , brilliant working terrier.

Is that terrier a result of good breeding or a freak, a fluke ?

I bet plenty of lads would breed from such a terrier.

why don't you answer your last two sentences of your post, instead of sitting on the fence.

You'll have to explain your question Dealer ?

It's very rarely I sit on the fence on any subject or opinion. Like I usually say, people who stand in the middle of the road usually get knocked down.

My post is fairly clear.

The showmen and bullshitters have ensured that the world is full of below par terriers.

Everyone (myself included) thinks they know how to breed a good one.

But what if only good terriers, from good litters (ie. the brothers and sisters were good too) out of good parents who were also out of good parents and so forth were bred and then entered by good terriermen and the pups were then put only into the hands of terriermen who'll do them justice (for nothing, of course) were the only terriers being bred ???

But that's never going to happen as the terrier game is full of bullshitters with theories and double standards as well as the money men with their big bullshit macho images.

Just my honest opinion.

1. ( Is that terrier a result of good breeding or a freak, a fluke ? ) lets here your opinion / or answer on this is what I meant to ask.

2. ( I bet plenty of lads would breed from such a terrier.) lets here your opinion / or answer on why you would breed or not breed to this ( such a terrier) is what I meant to ask.

(But what if only good terriers, from good litters (ie. the brothers and sisters were good too) out of good parents who were also out of good parents and so forth were bred and then entered by good terriermen and the pups were then put only into the hands of terriermen who'll do them justice (for nothing, of course) were the only terriers being bred ???

But that's never going to happen as the terrier game is full of bullshitters with theories and double standards as well as the money men with their big bullshit macho images.

Just my honest opinion.)

you can be sure that others you don't know have been doing this for generations , perhaps not in your circles of friends, but I can confirm it is been done to this very day, I think when you write or make posts you should have an open mind on what or what not might be going on in terrier work, just because you don't know its not happening, does not mean its not happening.

If a bitch "throws the towel in" she should "never" be bred from no matter how good the bloodlines are, :nono:

If the line she is from, are good digging dog's, over generation's, they have got that way by "culling" sub-standard stock and certainly not breeding from it :nono:

and let's face it, if the only bitch left out of the bloodline is a "quitter" to breed from then the line is lost anyway