Recommend An Angling Book.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great old stories lads, it's nice most of us fishermen remember the old ways as our favourite, and I think most of us revert back to that eventually as well..   " learn to fish like Uncle Bill"

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing s

I feel the same about carp fishing mate. it's a shame really because there nothing quite like a summers evening stalking a few out. I just hope it will lose it's draw to the idiots so it's easier for

Posted Images

That 'Top Ten' is a good read and is one of my favourites that is kept near the 'big boys room' ready for a quiet read. Others I would recommend are 'Red Letter Days' a collection of tales from well known anglers, 'The Deepening Pool' by Chris Yates as well as his 'How To Fish' (He knows how to balance life and work). Also a couple from John Bailey being ' From Water to Net' and also ' Reflections from the Waters Edge' (tell me you can't read The Final Present chapter p.154 without a lump in your throat). Also just read 'Catching the Impossible' by Bowler and Miles, I didn't think I'd be so keen on a book like this but it did make a welcome change. And a quick question what is the Roach book by Bailey like? as this may be my next purchase, but maybe not this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROACH-THE-GENTLE-GIANTS-JOHN-BAILEY-SIGNED-x-8-FIRST-EDITION-FISHING-BOOK-/151099994420?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item232e42f134

Edited by chrismdd

Tried finding a book I bought about 88/89

It was the top ten fish ,each chapter was written by a well known angler.only a small hard back book.

Would love to read it again..lent it to a scag head who no doubt sold it.

Was it a black book with white/silver writing on the front called 'Top Ten'??

For me i loved Redmire by k Clifford........ A true great, historical read. I couldn't put it down.....Fishing today has been ruined by the carp waters, and it's never going to be able to rewind the clock back. I remember the amount of lads on the river matches, not dozens, but hundreds. Everyone was mad keen for june 16th, everyone geared up for 'the big push'. Exciting times. Everyone buzzing, making plans and dreaming of the coming months. the local tackle shop opened on a sunday morning for two hours, doing a roaring trade.

the local canal and ponds all had characters and the local ponds were seeped in folk law, making such a place pure magic for a boys brain,. I remember the match being cancelled as the river was tanking through so we went to my local ponds and there wasn't a single pitch available anywhere! In the end i sort of made my own swim under the branches of a willow and managed to catch a 3lb tench, which, was a whopper for me.

Carp waters destroyed the magic, the mystery. where are all the young kids today? trying to winkle gudgeon out from under the locks,trying crazy baits like bumble bee's, slugs and fruit pastilles! dreaming of having decent tackle..... and line that wasn't forever tangling. And a closed face reel that actually worked. As a young man i bought a Diawa closed face from my mate and what a disaster that was. Harrier 123M i think it was called and the plastic pins were forever popping off. We'd not heard of shimano in those days, they just weren't around much on the fishing scene, not until much later when the baitrunners emerged and took over the world! Mitchell and ABU had the big names. My childhood fishing was a mixture of struggling, experimenting and pure magic and i just don't think it's there anymore for the young of today. I feel sorry for them, but I'm glad i lived through those times.

Redmire by Kevin Clifford is now going for £100 a copy,borrowed mine to someone never saw it again :censored: was the Daiwa the 125M with the rear clutch?Regarding the "carp puddles" ruining the magic I totally agree,the whole thing is so available to everyone theres nothing special about it anymore.However on a brighter note,there is silver lining to this cloud that is commercial fisheries.....today I finally got out for a few hours,just float/pleasure fishing,alarm set for 4.30,so as to get a good peg on a large local Stillwater,arrived at 5.00...excellent ,choice of pegs :boogy: nobody else there :hmm: ...and that was how it remained until I packed up at 11.oo :D not another fisherman anywhere,and to really cap it all,the Bailiff didn't turn up ,so I fished for nowt :toast: This water has over 100 pegs and used to be packed,particularly weekend,all pissed of to the puddles for hand tame carp :yes: caught about 30lb of roach/hybrids/skimmers,couldnt put a foot wrong :laugh: commercials.....I love em, :laugh::angel:

• Like 1

It was the top ten fish ,each chapter was written by a well known angler.only a small hard back book.

For me i loved Redmire by k Clifford........ A true great, historical read. I couldn't put it down.....Fishing today has been ruined by the carp waters, and it's never going to be able to rewind the clock back. I remember the amount of lads on the river matches, not dozens, but hundreds. Everyone was mad keen for june 16th, everyone geared up for 'the big push'. Exciting times. Everyone buzzing, making plans and dreaming of the coming months. the local tackle shop opened on a sunday morning for two hours, doing a roaring trade.

the local canal and ponds all had characters and the local ponds were seeped in folk law, making such a place pure magic for a boys brain,. I remember the match being cancelled as the river was tanking through so we went to my local ponds and there wasn't a single pitch available anywhere! In the end i sort of made my own swim under the branches of a willow and managed to catch a 3lb tench, which, was a whopper for me.

Carp waters destroyed the magic, the mystery. where are all the young kids today? trying to winkle gudgeon out from under the locks,trying crazy baits like bumble bee's, slugs and fruit pastilles! dreaming of having decent tackle..... and line that wasn't forever tangling. And a closed face reel that actually worked. As a young man i bought a Diawa closed face from my mate and what a disaster that was. Harrier 123M i think it was called and the plastic pins were forever popping off. We'd not heard of shimano in those days, they just weren't around much on the fishing scene, not until much later when the baitrunners emerged and took over the world! Mitchell and ABU had the big names. My childhood fishing was a mixture of struggling, experimenting and pure magic and i just don't think it's there anymore for the young of today. I feel sorry for them, but I'm glad i lived through those times.

Redmire by Kevin Clifford is now going for £100 a copy,borrowed mine to someone never saw it again :censored: was the Daiwa the 125M with the rear clutch?Regarding the "carp puddles" ruining the magic I totally agree,the whole thing is so available to everyone theres nothing special about it anymore.However on a brighter note,there is silver lining to this cloud that is commercial fisheries.....today I finally got out for a few hours,just float/pleasure fishing,alarm set for 4.30,so as to get a good peg on a large local Stillwater,arrived at 5.00...excellent ,choice of pegs :boogy: nobody else there :hmm: ...and that was how it remained until I packed up at 11.oo :D not another fisherman anywhere,and to really cap it all,the Bailiff didn't turn up ,so I fished for nowt :toast: This water has over 100 pegs and used to be packed,particularly weekend,all pissed of to the puddles for hand tame carp :yes: caught about 30lb of roach/hybrids/skimmers,couldnt put a foot wrong :laugh: commercials.....I love em, :laugh::angel:

Haha nice one mate, I've still got 2 daiwa 125m close faced reels, still going strong, hope they do me proud on Sunday...

My lads been on the canal and the river this year, he said his favourite place to fish is the tidal, mind you his first fish on it was a decent mullet.... Lol

But to cap it off he wants a fishing party for his 8th birthday, he wants me to take him and 3 of his mates fishing for the day, I think that might be a long old day for me lol... There's still the bug there if you get the kids into in the right way..

• Like 1

Redmire by Kevin Clifford is now going for £100 a copy I never really liked this book and loads of people really rate it, i'm starting to like it a bit more now i know it's worth £100, looks like i'm getting rid of it, cheers for the head's up about it. :thumbs: :toast: :signthankspin: :cheers: :laugh:

• Like 1

Haha nice one mate, I've still got 2 daiwa 125m close faced reels, still going strong, hope they do me proud on Sunday...

My lads been on the canal and the river this year, he said his favourite place to fish is the tidal, mind you his first fish on it was a decent mullet.... Lol

But to cap it off he wants a fishing party for his 8th birthday, he wants me to take him and 3 of his mates fishing for the day, I think that might be a long old day for me lol... There's still the bug there if you get the kids into in the right way..

What a cracking idea for the lads birthday :yes: they'll enjoy that...feckin hell youll be kept busy.....Ive lost my hook,broke my float,need a poo,snapped my rod,got stuck in a tree :laugh: beats McDonalds or the cinema any day :thumbs: ATB Dave

What a cracking idea for the lads birthday :yes: they'll enjoy that...feckin hell youll be kept busy.....Ive lost my hook,broke my float,need a poo,snapped my rod,got stuck in a tree :laugh: beats McDonalds or the cinema any day :thumbs: ATB Dave

He's a one lad whirlwind on his own mate, 4 of em will be carnage lol..

I'd rather do that though then fcking Macdonalds any day...

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1